Jarren Williams

Hoyacane1620

All American
Premium
In case anyone is interested. Saw this yesterday. No idea how it actually works but thought I would share. JW 1.pngJW2.pngJW3.png

Advertisement
So here is the short recap:

Difference between HS and college: Way more to know in terms of what is happening on the field. Biggest adjustment was the classroom, classwork and balancing the schedule of school and workouts.

1. Avery asked Jarren what piece of advice he would give HS qbs that he wished he had known or something he would tell them to do :

- Jarren said study and know defensive coverages. Know them well. Be able to recognize what you see so you can react accordingly.

2. What is Jarren working on during the "off season"?

- keeping his footwork sharp, working on quickness and accuracy. Both help his downfield long balls. Being able to throw the accurate long
ball is important in college.

- also spending a lot of time in the playbook. Most important thing is to be able to know what to do on the field. He said he is working to understand what the coach wants in each play so he can execute it properly on the field. He knows he needs to be able to know what to do when he sees certain things happening on the field.

3. JW has been working out with some of the pro guys that Avery has at his facility also. Mentioned DeShaun Watson. Said what impressed him most was the intensity they bring to the practice field and the dedication to doing every drill 100% correctly every time. The concentration and intensity made the biggest impression.

Avery asked him about leadership and how he has or hasn't exhibited it as a QB at the U:
Jarren said he felt that as an EE, he felt it was important to first go in and work hard and show the upperclassmen that he meant business and wanted to be there He feels that by working hard in the weight room and on the field that he will earn their respect so they will trust him to lead on the field. He said he feels very confident when he is on the field and said his main goal right now is to learn and absorb as much as he can. He believes very much that he has the ability and will have the knowledge this summer to make real contributions to the team.

He seems locked in. Definitely not going to take a shirt or sit on the bench without a fight. He is still at home in Georgia and is working with Avery again tomorrow.

Advertisement
So here is the short recap:

Difference between HS and college: Way more to know in terms of what is happening on the field. Biggest adjustment was the classroom, classwork and balancing the schedule of school and workouts.

1. Avery asked Jarren what piece of advice he would give HS qbs that he wished he had known or something he would tell them to do :

- Jarren said study and know defensive coverages. Know them well. Be able to recognize what you see so you can react accordingly.

2. What is Jarren working on during the "off season"?

- keeping his footwork sharp, working on quickness and accuracy. Both help his downfield long balls. Being able to throw the accurate long
ball is important in college.

- also spending a lot of time in the playbook. Most important thing is to be able to know what to do on the field. He said he is working to understand what the coach wants in each play so he can execute it properly on the field. He knows he needs to be able to know what to do when he sees certain things happening on the field.

3. JW has been working out with some of the pro guys that Avery has at his facility also. Mentioned DeShaun Watson. Said what impressed him most was the intensity they bring to the practice field and the dedication to doing every drill 100% correctly every time. The concentration and intensity made the biggest impression.

Avery asked him about leadership and how he has or hasn't exhibited it as a QB at the U:
Jarren said he felt that as an EE, he felt it was important to first go in and work hard and show the upperclassmen that he meant business and wanted to be there He feels that by working hard in the weight room and on the field that he will earn their respect so they will trust him to lead on the field. He said he feels very confident when he is on the field and said his main goal right now is to learn and absorb as much as he can. He believes very much that he has the ability and will have the knowledge this summer to make real contributions to the team.

He seems locked in. Definitely not going to take a shirt or sit on the bench without a fight. He is still at home in Georgia and is working with Avery again tomorrow.
Didn’t school start back up? Should he be back already?

Idk but DJ was up here in Ga last week. Came on a local sports radio show with his cousin who goes to Virginia.

@Hoyacane1620, your services regarding this recap, is greatly appreciated.

On another note, several players always talk about learning the playbook, but with Williams, I actually believe him.

It seems like he spoke a lot about "knowing what to do", "reading coverages", "executing properly", etc.. Was that Jarren answering the questions or was it Richt? This is exactly how you want your QB to think while he's on the field. You can tell that he understands that he is an extension of Richt, when he is on the field.

His maturity level seems to be off the charts.

Advertisement
I’m not surprised by what he’s said and his attitude.

You would expect any QB to have the same attitude if he was planning to be successful.

There is no telling what happens this summer and the fall, but I am feeling better about the QB position.

Last year, we had practically no one to turn to if the starter faltered. This year, I think we’ll see an improved N’Kosi, based on a year learning the system, and Williams who may or may not surpass him.

In any event, the QB position is in way better shape than it was last year. At least we have viable backup options, even Weldon.

Can’t wait for the competition start August 1.

I’m not surprised by what he’s said and his attitude.

You would expect any QB to have the same attitude if he was planning to be successful.

There is no telling what happens this summer and the fall, but I am feeling better about the QB position.

Last year, we had practically no one to turn to if the starter faltered. This year, I think we’ll see an improved N’Kosi, based on a year learning the system, and Williams who may or may not surpass him.

In any event, the QB position is in way better shape than it was last year. At least we have viable backup options, even Weldon.

Can’t wait for the competition start August 1.
Nailed-It.gif

One thing I find strange is the lack of news on Perry. We hear a lot about how Rosier is feeling the pressure and taking the competition seriously. Richt even went out of his way to say the competition has been the key to motivating Rosier. We also hear how Williams is taking the competition seriously, getting help from a pro tutor and banging in the film room. But I haven't heard anything on Perry, and not a word on his work ethic or determination.

Advertisement
The problem I see is: regardless of how much better Jarren may be than Malik in the fall, it's gonna be tough to start a true freshman over the 5th year senior we went 10-3 under. It'll also be tough not to give Malik a shot to finish a game he's struggling in considering most of last year's wins. I expect Jarren will be at #2 vs LSU & come in for a few series; I think a QB rotation will be the most likely outcome of fall camp. This will gradually turn into Jarren being the 1 by year's end. Hopefully this doesn't cost us LSU. It's also possible Jarren could 100% clean up during camp & give Richt the cojones to start him.

Didn’t school start back up? Should he be back already?

I think Summer A classes did. He is definitely home - interview was in his kitchen. And definitely has another session tomorrow with Avery in some park - they discussed it. Summer class schedules can be different - or maybe he isn't taking one this session. It wasn't discussed. Don't know how the athletes schedules work.

One thing I find strange is the lack of news on Perry. We hear a lot about how Rosier is feeling the pressure and taking the competition seriously. Richt even went out of his way to say the competition has been the key to motivating Rosier. We also hear how Williams is taking the competition seriously, getting help from a pro tutor and banging in the film room. But I haven't heard anything on Perry, and not a word on his work ethic or determination.

I assume they are all doing something on their own. Perry posted a pic about 2 weeks ago from his home, too. It was of himself (holding a football) and Leonard Manuel. They must have been having a catch - I forget what the caption said but that was the main gist of it.

I would think they would all be regrouping soon for whatever the player run practices are . Especially since the other guys are here now.

Advertisement
@Hoyacane1620, your services regarding this recap, is greatly appreciated.

On another note, several players always talk about learning the playbook, but with Williams, I actually believe him.

It seems like he spoke a lot about "knowing what to do", "reading coverages", "executing properly", etc.. Was that Jarren answering the questions or was it Richt? This is exactly how you want your QB to think while he's on the field. You can tell that he understands that he is an extension of Richt, when he is on the field.

His maturity level seems to be off the charts.

I definitely think he soaks up everything that is said to him. He was referring to CMR when he talked about "knowing what he (Richt) wanted in each play.

He does seem very serious but also very likeable and sincere. And he is well spoken. He gave an interview to someone when he first came to UM where he told the story of going to a QB camp, thinking he was so good and being thoroughly humbled and embarrassed because he performed so poorly. He promised himself he would never let that happen again. That's when he started working with Quincy Avery. He definitely has a drive to succeed.

He’s gonna start vs LSU. Much higher ceiling with him under center. Rosier starts means 0% chance at a national title. Last I checked were Miami & that’s what were playing for.

***** said nothing about the bad ******* in Miami... Doesn't he know what weekend is coming up?

Advertisement
Back