Jarren Williams showed us why he won the starting QB position

13 completions out of 32 passes for 204 yards with 4 of those completions being Touchdowns.

Or

19 completions out of 30 passes for 214 yards with only 1 of those completions being a TD.

Let’s keep in mind the offense NKosi was throwing under as well last year... the difference in production in terms of yardage gained on the field isn’t that much except the results favor NKosi.

I would rather have 4 TDs on 13/32 completions then 1 TD on 19/30 pass completions
Youre seriously arguing for kosi? Wow.

Advertisement
He did a lot of good things, but not everything was rosy. A lot of it was the lack of experience and it will be coached up for the UNC game. Jarren tends to hold the ball too long waiting for things to develop. That's good and bad. He's showing patience, but that internal clock has to go off and just throw the ball away rather than taking big losses. I know the blocking was bad, but when it's bad, you have to adjust your internal clock accordingly. He'll adjust with more playing time.

Jarren was 12/14 in the 1st half, but just 7/15 in the 2nd half. A lot of the completions were short and that was the game plan. It's hard to compare to other QBs from last year because it's a completely different offense. Richt had more intermediate and deep passes while in this game, the passes were short and intermediate. So, naturally the completion percentage would be lower in a Richt offense vs Enos.

So, let's see how Jarren and the offensive line progress against UNC.
True Jarren Williams has to learn how to throw the ball away and alot of sacks could have been avoided while some not really, yes holding the ball for too long is a sign of inexperience but he can easily improve that and in all those areas that he lacked in against Florida. Showing Patience against Florida is a great sign in my book, and I totally agree that he will adapt to his throw timing soon with our offense with more playing time. I'm excited for the UNC game because its a early season road ACC Coastal game.

Lol first it was my hate for Tate, now you telling me I hate Jarren

Not much difference in talent and FSU was about to blow us out last year if you can remember... FSU pressured us all game had a better DT in Marvin Wilson and Brian Burns so what’s the difference aside from ranking?
[/QUOTE]
In talent and coaching Florida is better than FSU, we were getting blown out at home against a 5 win FSU team think about that for a second while this game against Florida was basically a road game and a way more hostile crowd, you really think this Florida team is a 5 win team like FSU was ? because if you do I got some land in the everglades for sale.

Our coaches know what he did right and what he did wrong and are already fixing the broken parts. The TALENT is there, the execution will improve rapidly. Kid has loads of talent.

Our coaches know what he did right and what he did wrong and are already fixing the broken parts. The TALENT is there, the execution will improve rapidly. Kid has loads of talent.

It appears that way. Rate of improvement is the key for JW, IMO. Faster, better decision making in game 2 would be very reassuring. We've had QBs with lots of "talent" in the past, most were busts. Enos earns his pay if he gets JW to the next level, rather than becoming another KW or SM or NP....

Advertisement
Not necessarily but maybe if he took a chance and challenged our receivers to make a play on half of those sacks maybe we would’ve got more opportunities to put points on the board.

Outside of that if you take away the Yards after Catch... his total passings yards for the game would barely be about 150 give or take.. on 19 passes completed.

Not impressive bc honestly Tate could’ve dinked and donked this team to death the same way but would’ve also gotten positive yardage running the ball instead of the -44 yards rushing Jarren had this game bc of the sacks he took.

First game was too Kaaya-esque for me but I hope to see improvement... whether that was bc its Jarrens style or Enos decision to be safe and conservative remains to be seen.

JW's movement in the pocket is night and day compared to Kaaya.

Jarren is more accurate than Tate and NKosi, but he definitely held on to the ball way to long.
We’re the plays not developing.?
Does he need to roll out more?
Do we need a fullback to help block?
NC is going to blitz him every play.

Jarren is an elusive guy for a qb. He needs to do more of this in the pocket

The problem is that he got shellshocked after a while and started running around in circles instead of taking off and getting upfield.

Advertisement
The positive side of that stat is he got sacked 10 times and still never panicked into throwing ball up for grabs. JJ told him "protect the ball".
Yep, until the 4th quarter when he fumbled at least twice foolishly attempting to extend broken plays. The point is you can't have it both ways, it's either (1) high completion percentage and too many sacks, or (2) better decisions and low completion percentage. I'm not ragging on the guy, just staying real.

Exactly. The game will slow down dramatically for him over the next 3-4 weeks of the season as he gets more comfortable. This wasn't just his first start, it was his first real playing time...and it came in an incredibly high pressure situation. If it didn't break him, it probably went a long way towards his development.

Jarren is more accurate than Tate and NKosi, but he definitely held on to the ball way to long.
We’re the plays not developing.?
Does he need to roll out more?
Do we need a fullback to help block?
NC is going to blitz him every play.
He is a R-Frosh who started his first game against a good Defense.
He still needs time to get used to the speed of the game and to form a rapport with his WRs.
(And of course the OL has to improve.)

Jarren also cost this team by being unable to throw the ball away. His completion numbers don't mean diddly squat, if 1)He padded them by swapping completions for sacks and 2) He waits too long to deliver the football. There were at least two opportunities in which Miami could have had walk in scores had Williams thrown the ball with anticipation, instead of waiting until the receiver was wide open. I said it leaving the stadium, and I'll say it again: There's some things to like about Williams, but I didn't see anything particularly special Saturday night. I saw a mediocre quarterback that didn't have control of his huddle and of the offense. Maybe he grows into it, but I expected better from a guy that has been in college for well over a year. This isn't a true freshman that has been on campus for the last six weeks(IE Kaaya), this is a guy who has been around the program for a year and some change.
Bad take IMO, there were a couple of times yes he held on too long but the playcalling or OL didn't really help. He ended up avoiding sacks all game almost as soon as he was out of a PA or when the ball was snapped to him because the DL was jumping off the ball before the OL.

Advertisement
Enos was tough on Jarren saying he was disappointed in his play..Network analysts said Enos did not do enough in regards to adjustments in the second half...
Finger pointing everywhere..

He went 19 for 30. If he throws it away 10 times instead of taking a sack, it's 19 for 40. That a 47% completion percentage, roughly the same as Rosier and Perry.
This was my take in another thread. Below 50% with no int. If he does this we may win. His numbers look ugly. But they are then not a true read based on th Oline.

He went 19 for 30. If he throws it away 10 times instead of taking a sack, it's 19 for 40. That a 47% completion percentage, roughly the same as Rosier and Perry.

Say what? If he is forced to throw the ball away because no WRs are open and it lowers his completion % significantly, that indicates to you that he is not an accurate QB? Should he just pass the ball to himself in those situations?

Advertisement
"IF" didn't play in the game. But since you are on "IF's" if they didn't drop 3 completable passes and if the refs didn't ***** us in the end, we would have won the game and JW would have had an even high completion percentage and another TD to go along with it. How bout that?

Say what? If he is forced to throw the ball away because no WRs are open and it lowers his completion % significantly, that indicates to you that he is not an accurate QB? Should he just pass the ball to himself in those situations?

The notion that no WRs were open Is bs... it’s football how many throws are being made and the receiver is wide open?? Most of the time DBs are less than a step behind or right on the receiver... you gotta challenge ur receivers to beat the DB that’s the only way you’re going to win big in college football and in the NFL.

Yep, until the 4th quarter when he fumbled at least twice foolishly attempting to extend broken plays. The point is you can't have it both ways, it's either (1) high completion percentage and too many sacks, or (2) better decisions and low completion percentage. I'm not ragging on the guy, just staying real.
True, but fumbling for a QB scrambling is not the same as a RB. It doesn't get into the QB's head the way a INT does. He is pocket passer not a running QB. Granted he needs to practice better ball integrity but his running for his life is not designed plays, Hey, those 10 sacks might have ruined this kid, like it does many young QBs. I hope not because I he looked like a Miami QB in so many ways. Clearly we need to find someone to play at TE who can block some because OL looks suspect. I do admit that taking the 10 sacks into the completion percentage makes a good point but doen't really mean his is not very accurate -- once ball leaves his hand on purpose.

Advertisement
Back