Jarren Williams showed us why he won the starting QB position

HurricaneAlex

Sophomore
Banned
Jarren Williams showed why he won the starting QB position over N' Kosi Perry and Tate Martell against #8 Florida with the Miami O'line not even showing up to the game the numbers are impressive when you consider the type of competition he was up against in his first game as a starter 63.3% CMP, Passing yards 214, 1 TD, RTG 134.2. I really believe Williams is about to eat ACC competition alive this year.

Advertisement
He went 19 for 30. If he throws it away 10 times instead of taking a sack, it's 19 for 40. That a 47% completion percentage, roughly the same as Rosier and Perry.
Yeah could have also been a couple of Int's like Rosier and Perry had in the past easily and our Oline last year was better if Perry would have played in this game he would have even gotten injured he is not even built.

He went 19 for 30. If he throws it away 10 times instead of taking a sack, it's 19 for 40. That a 47% completion percentage, roughly the same as Rosier and Perry.

Not necessarily but maybe if he took a chance and challenged our receivers to make a play on half of those sacks maybe we would’ve got more opportunities to put points on the board.

Outside of that if you take away the Yards after Catch... his total passings yards for the game would barely be about 150 give or take.. on 19 passes completed.

Not impressive bc honestly Tate could’ve dinked and donked this team to death the same way but would’ve also gotten positive yardage running the ball instead of the -44 yards rushing Jarren had this game bc of the sacks he took.

First game was too Kaaya-esque for me but I hope to see improvement... whether that was bc its Jarrens style or Enos decision to be safe and conservative remains to be seen.

Advertisement

This is just a stupid, stupid take. No offense. Note that I didn't call you stupid, just what you said.

First off, not all of the sacks were due to Jarren holding the ball too long, so it wouldn't be 10 throw-aways, probably more like 6. Second, on at least some of them, there was a checkdown available to him that he just didn't take because he stayed focused down the field for too long. Once or twice, that checkdown had the chance to be a pretty big play. So, to be realistic, we could say he should have gotten rid of the ball earlier 6 more times, avoiding that many sacks. 50% of those would be flushes (throw aways), and the other half short completions. Of those, one goes for 20-30 yards. He's still 60%+ completions, adds at least one more first down, and probably adds 30+ yards to his passing total, being conservative.

By the end of the season, he will be seeing things more quickly and more clearly. He is nothing like Rosier/Kosi 2018. Not even a little bit.

Not necessarily but maybe if he took a chance and challenged our receivers to make a play on half of those sacks maybe we would’ve got more opportunities to put points on the board.

Outside of that if you take away the Yards after Catch... his total passings yards for the game would barely be about 150 give or take.. on 19 passes completed.

Not impressive bc honestly Tate could’ve dinked and donked this team to death the same way but would’ve also gotten positive yardage running the ball instead of the -44 yards rushing Jarren had this game bc of the sacks he took.

First game was too Kaaya-esque for me but I hope to see improvement... whether that was bc its Jarrens style or Enos decision to be safe and conservative remains to be seen.

Your hate for Jarren is weird.

And Jarren vs UF was a lot better than Kaaya vs Louisville, and you already know that

Advertisement
He also went 13/32. N’kosi didn’t put 60% on any winning teams

13 completions out of 32 passes for 204 yards with 4 of those completions being Touchdowns.

Or

19 completions out of 30 passes for 214 yards with only 1 of those completions being a TD.

Let’s keep in mind the offense NKosi was throwing under as well last year... the difference in production in terms of yardage gained on the field isn’t that much except the results favor NKosi.

I would rather have 4 TDs on 13/32 completions then 1 TD on 19/30 pass completions

13 completions out of 32 passes for 204 yards with 4 of those completions being Touchdowns.

Or

19 completions out of 30 passes for 214 yards with only 1 of those completions being a TD.

Let’s keep in mind the offense NKosi was throwing under as well last year... the difference in production in terms of yardage gained on the field isn’t that much except the results favor NKosi.

I would rather have 4 TDs on 13/32 completions then 1 TD on 19/30 pass completions

One of those was against the #8 team in the nation with two freshman tackles and the other was against a 5-7 team with a more experienced OL

Jarren is an elusive guy for a qb. He needs to do more of this in the pocket

Advertisement
Jarren also cost this team by being unable to throw the ball away. His completion numbers don't mean diddly squat, if 1)He padded them by swapping completions for sacks and 2) He waits too long to deliver the football. There were at least two opportunities in which Miami could have had walk in scores had Williams thrown the ball with anticipation, instead of waiting until the receiver was wide open. I said it leaving the stadium, and I'll say it again: There's some things to like about Williams, but I didn't see anything particularly special Saturday night. I saw a mediocre quarterback that didn't have control of his huddle and of the offense. Maybe he grows into it, but I expected better from a guy that has been in college for well over a year. This isn't a true freshman that has been on campus for the last six weeks(IE Kaaya), this is a guy who has been around the program for a year and some change.

One of those was against the #8 team in the nation with two freshman tackles and the other was against a 5-7 team with a more experienced OL

If you really believe that is the eighth best team in the nation, then you are a moron. Point blank period. UF looked like what they are, an 8-4 program. Even in week 0, well run, outstanding teams don't try to give games away like that. UF is a limited team, with a pathetically inept quarterback. That's what Miami lost to. The D choked the UF O out, and Miami's offense **** themselves like a newborn baby.

Jarren Williams showed why he won the starting QB position over N' Kosi Perry and Tate Martell against #8 Florida with the Miami O'line not even showing up to the game the numbers are impressive when you consider the type of competition he was up against in his first game as a starter 63.3% CMP, Passing yards 214, 1 TD, RTG 134.2. I really believe Williams is about to eat ACC competition alive this year.
He did a lot of good things, but not everything was rosy. A lot of it was the lack of experience and it will be coached up for the UNC game. Jarren tends to hold the ball too long waiting for things to develop. That's good and bad. He's showing patience, but that internal clock has to go off and just throw the ball away rather than taking big losses. I know the blocking was bad, but when it's bad, you have to adjust your internal clock accordingly. He'll adjust with more playing time.

Jarren was 12/14 in the 1st half, but just 7/15 in the 2nd half. A lot of the completions were short and that was the game plan. It's hard to compare to other QBs from last year because it's a completely different offense. Richt had more intermediate and deep passes while in this game, the passes were short and intermediate. So, naturally the completion percentage would be lower in a Richt offense vs Enos.

So, let's see how Jarren and the offensive line progress against UNC.

Advertisement

NOT the same apples to apples.

You put Rosier in that game, throw for throw with/w/o sacks...he [rosier] probably has a 30% rate

Haha now that’s straight hating. So instead of the sacks you substituted them with incomplete passes? I guess he was just getting sacked for fun huh? I mean all 10 sacks were his fault.

JW coughed up the ball up at least twice in the fourth quarter, IIRC; all potentially game ending but we luckily recovered. You either evaluate him on a relative basis (vs expectations of a rs-Frosh first-time starter), or an absolute basis (vs expectations of a starting top-25 QB). He did fine on a relative basis, very poorly (like his predecessors) on an absolute basis. Games are not won on a relative basis.

Are you trying to compare FSU to Florida LMAO ?

Not much difference in talent and FSU was about to blow us out last year if you can remember... FSU pressured us all game had a better DT in Marvin Wilson and Brian Burns so what’s the difference aside from ranking?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back