Jaquan Johnson vs. Jim Thorpe Semifinalists

Crime that he's not at last a finalist. The guy from Iowa is pretty good, Minkah Fitzpatrick is nice as well. But yeah, Jaquan not being on that finalist list is utterly ridiculous.

Advertisement
Did Ed Reed ever win it??

No, finished second to Roy Williams of Texas in 2001.

Different types of safeties and Williams was badass as well, but I feel Reed should've gotten it. Williams was a beast in run support and he had one play against OU that really stuck out eventually winning him the award IMO.

That superman **** to Chris Sims.... But u are right..... Ed should of won it

The award is a joke. Given out of Oklahoma. One Hurricane to win it was Bennie Blades in 1987 and he tied Rickey Dixon. You can argue that Rickey Dixon had a great year in 2007 but Blades was a two-time consensus All-American. But Roy Williams over Ed Reed and Derrick Strait over Sean Taylor were embarrassing.

Advertisement

Different types of safeties and Williams was badass as well, but I feel Reed should've gotten it. Williams was a beast in run support and he had one play against OU that really stuck out eventually winning him the award IMO.

Williams didn't deserve the Thorpe over reed. Williams was a joke in pass coverage he'll shocked made him his in the NFL. The bigger travesty was sorry *** derrick straight winner over Sean Taylor.

Williams didn't deserve the Thorpe over reed. Williams was a joke in pass coverage he'll shocked made him his in the NFL. The bigger travesty was sorry *** derrick straight winner over Sean Taylor.

Canes have gotten passed over so many times for awards I've often wondered if UM just didn't market them well enough.

But Njoku not even being on the Mackey Watch List last year (when guys from Harvard and such were) told me it's just gross negligence on the part of committees.

Advertisement
I get the disappointment. Its definitely warranted but the best individual award imo is a championship ring and a HOF nfl career

Aren't those list made before the season starts? How F'in stupid is that? So, a guy can be left off a watch list, have 20 INTs, 100 PBUs, and force 30 fumbles and not win the award.... because he wasn't on the list when the season started. God, sometimes I hate college football.

Committee for Thorpe award is based out of Oklahoma, and always has a heavy OU and by extension, Big XII bias. The award should have been disbanded after the Strait over ST26 travesty

Advertisement

Canes have gotten passed over so many times for awards I've often wondered if UM just didn't market them well enough.

But Njoku not even being on the Mackey Watch List last year (when guys from Harvard and such were) told me it's just gross negligence on the part of committees.

Awards are nice, but the most important award is the one an NFL team gives you . And no program is better at getting players to the NFL than the U.

It’s a Big 12 propoaganda award.

yeah, the award is based out of the state of Oklahoma. The first year they gave it out they made Bennie Blades share it with Ricky Dixon of OU

I stopped taking it seriously when they robbed Sean Taylor of the award i 2003 for Derrick Strait.....from Oklahoma...

Advertisement
They can have the meaningless ( if a Cane is not on it ) award, and JJ can have the NFL ROY or DPY.

It’s a Big 12 propoaganda award.

yeah, the award is based out of the state of Oklahoma. The first year they gave it out they made Bennie Blades share it with Ricky Dixon of OU

I stopped taking it seriously when they robbed Sean Taylor of the award i 2003 for Derrick Strait.....from Oklahoma...

I remember that bs!!! Sean Taylor had a better season statistically in EVERY category. These awards are bull and don't help a players draft status or come with money. So to **** with em.

Advertisement
Back