James Cook reclassifies to 2018

IHATETHISPLACE

Thunderdome
Breaking: Cook reclassifies to 2018

Florida State running back commit James Cook (Miami/Central) will reclassify from the 2019 class to the 2018 class

Cook, who’s birthday September 25, is already 16 so he would age out and not be allowed to play his senior season under FHSAA rules.

Miami/Central coach Roland Smith approached Cook about the idea earlier this spring.

“I thought it was great,” Cook said. “That way I can get to college early.”

Miami running back Mark Walton went through the same reclassifying deal two years ago coming out of nearby Miami/Booker T Washington.

Smith inquired with Walton’s coach and close friend Tim ‘Ice’ Harris about the process.

“We know Cook wouldn’t be able to play his senior year and we know the type of student-athlete he is so we were like why wait?,” Smith said. “Now he can get out of here earlier and get to college sooner.”

Cook is already taking three online courses and will continue to do so this summer. He’s now slated to graduate in June of 2018.

Cook verbally committed to Florida State March 11.

He said he’s also still considering Miami, his No. 2 school, Clemson, who he lists third, along with Michigan, USC and Texas.

Cook said he plans to visit Florida State, Miami, Texas, USC, Clemson and Michigan this summer.

His brother, running back Dalvin Cook, is the star running back for the Seminoles.

“Dalvin tells me to stay focused and then everything will work out,” James Cook said.

In his freshman year, Cook (6-0, 190) rushed 92 times for 715 yards and eight touchdowns helping Central to the state title.

Cook will now play in the 2018 U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Advertisement
Not saying we need help, but this is a positive for us, considering in 2018 we will be after Lorenzo Lingard along with Dalvin Cook...We will be battling FSU for both and should come out with one of the two barring anything ridiculous. Would even be nice to pull Zamir White if we miss on both...All 3 are expected to be elite. Although Cook is fast as ****, i feel that Lingard best fits the backs that Richt usually has.

Not saying we need help, but this is a positive for us, considering in 2018 we will be after Lorenzo Lingard along with Dalvin Cook...We will be battling FSU for both and should come out with one of the two barring anything ridiculous. Would even be nice to pull Zamir White if we miss on both...All 3 are expected to be elite. Although Cook is fast as ****, i feel that Lingard best fits the backs that Richt usually has.

Richt doesn't have a "typical" back he likes. As long as they're 3 down backs(pass blocking, receiving, as well as a good runner..etc) they'll play here

He aint coming... Big Brother Dalvin told him do not go to Miami... he even said this in a interview...

He aint coming... Big Brother Dalvin told him do not go to Miami... he even said this in a interview...

Wasn't that while Golden was here though? I'm sure FSU will keep Dalvin's bank account open and just rewire it to James so it probably won't matter either way

Advertisement
It probably wouldn't matter. It does seem like we lose legacies though. High smith to Lsu right? Whats his name to Uf. His bro is on the Canes now. Im getting old, I cant recall names.

It probably wouldn't matter. It does seem like we lose legacies though. High smith to Lsu right? Whats his name to Uf. His bro is on the Canes now. Im getting old, I cant recall names.

Highsmith wasn't no legacy to us... a legacy is a son or daughter not a cousin etc.

Advertisement
Advertisement
FSU went to bat for Cook and made him millions by doing so. If FSU wants his little brother, they get him. Period.

Is Cook that good to where he goes from being one of the top backs in 2019, to virtually the same position in 2018 as well? He's that good or are the recruitniks seeing Cook and equating that lil bro is going to be Dalvin 2.0?

Advertisement

Highsmith wasn't no legacy to us... a legacy is a son or daughter not a cousin etc.

Okay fair clarification. We did lose Patchan to Uf of all ******* places. Anyways it seems like we lose more than other schools. Ofcourse we do have Weldon now, so maybe its just my perception of what we have lost previously.

Main reason why he reclassified is because he wouldn't have been eligible to play his Senior year. Miami does have a chance(He grew up a Miami fan FWIW),he hates being compared to Dalvin and hates when people call him lil Dalvin..... but I will mention that was before committing to FSU. Dalvin going pro and Jimbo leaving can change things but we'll see. My money is on FSU keeping him for now.

Lorenzo Lingard was #1 on my want board for 2018 at RB, this only helps IMO. (Well, his cousin Avantae Williams, 2020 safety is a big canes fan. Mentioned him the other day in another thread. They are both going to same high school together now)

Not to sound salty, but most who watched Nayquan Wright & James Cook before they got to HS told me that Nayquan was the better RB.

Advertisement
Back