Jameis Winston

One huge thing that has been overlooked in a lot of the comments I've been reading is how big of a factor our own offense is when it comes to our defense.

When people throw in the stats that all of these QB's have put up against us, they are missing one key factor.

That our defense was on the field, for what seems like the whole game. Or at least the whole first half. Against Wake, UNC, and Florida, our offense couldn't sustain any drives, and were being dominated in TOP. Which then puts our defense in a horrible spot. It's hard to defend for nearly 20 of the 30 minutes with barely any time for adjustments.

Then we see the change in the second half. Why do we see the change? 1. Because the defense finally has time to sit down and make adjustments 2. It seems as if our offense finally picks up in the second half, and gives our defense a chance to regroup.

I'm not saying that our defense doesn't deserve any of the blame. I just disagree with the opinion that our defense is struggling because of the sole factor that they aren't good. When the offense is performing well, and playing with consistency, our defense seems to play much better and look like one the top defenses in the country.

Advertisement
I don't know that. Renner will play on Sundays. And so will his TE. O'Leary ain't in the same hemisphere. Drisckell's numbers were inflated by the passes we gave to him in the end. But the dude has as much physical ability as **** -- in fact, he's much more of a threat on the ground. Don't think this FSU team as a whole is that much better than the UF team we played. **** is talented, no doubt. But he's performed well against 1 good team, no great teams, and a bunch of sh*tty teams. To say he's the best we've faced in years is premature from any reasonable standpoint.

If u think Renner or Driskell are as talented as Winston I will just agree to disagree, I will also say there is zero evidence of that.

Lots of QBs have more physical ability than Winston, Driskell is horrible because of poor accuracy and vision, his ability as a runner is irrelevant in a discussion about defending an excellent passing game.

This offense is significantly better than what we faced against UF, UF have a great defense their offense is a joke because of who their starting QB was among other offensive concerns.

If u know a better QB we have faced recently I'd be curious who you think that is?

The point blew by you. **** may be better than Joe Montana. But I don't know. Nor do you. The sample is too small and skewed. He's played one "big" game, and that was against an overhyped Clemson team. What will he do if FSU gets a few bad bounces and finds itself behind to Miami? What happens if we hit his *** a few times like we did Driskell? If he throws a pick, does he pout? Blame the receiver? I don't know because the kid is playing this year for the first time. But to expect him to be a robot is ridiculous.

We have two distinct advantages over FSU, defending the run and running it. They barely made 2.3 ypc v NCST. We have had some rush yards against us primarily because teams have run it alot and being unprepared for GT in the first half. But if you look at the ypc against us, its quite low. Thats a good thing, last year we got gashed on the ground and through the air. Ill say this again. D No has called good games against FSU for some reason. Im confident we will slow them down. You can throw for a bunch of yards and lose, look at Manzeil. You rarely run for a bunch and lose on the other hand. Our offense just cant give them anything easy.

I don't know that. Renner will play on Sundays. And so will his TE. O'Leary ain't in the same hemisphere. Drisckell's numbers were inflated by the passes we gave to him in the end. But the dude has as much physical ability as **** -- in fact, he's much more of a threat on the ground. Don't think this FSU team as a whole is that much better than the UF team we played. **** is talented, no doubt. But he's performed well against 1 good team, no great teams, and a bunch of sh*tty teams. To say he's the best we've faced in years is premature from any reasonable standpoint.

If u think Renner or Driskell are as talented as Winston I will just agree to disagree, I will also say there is zero evidence of that.

Lots of QBs have more physical ability than Winston, Driskell is horrible because of poor accuracy and vision, his ability as a runner is irrelevant in a discussion about defending an excellent passing game.

This offense is significantly better than what we faced against UF, UF have a great defense their offense is a joke because of who their starting QB was among other offensive concerns.

If u know a better QB we have faced recently I'd be curious who you think that is?

The point blew by you. **** may be better than Joe Montana. But I don't know. Nor do you. The sample is too small and skewed. He's played one "big" game, and that was against an overhyped Clemson team. What will he do if FSU gets a few bad bounces and finds itself behind to Miami? What happens if we hit his *** a few times like we did Driskell? If he throws a pick, does he pout? Blame the receiver? I don't know because the kid is playing this year for the first time. But to expect him to be a robot is ridiculous.

If you claim to have watched the player and yet not know whether he is better than Renner, Price and Driskell I accept that, but obviously that is a personal statement about your ability to asses the ability level of a group of QBs.

Many others dont have that perception of this group of QBs as no one is speaking of those three as being high NFL draft picks, Winston is already being discussed as being a very high pick by NFL scouts.

He doesnt need to be Montana, what he has shown so far is more than enough. The sample is only too small and skewed if u dont know what to look for. Interesting how Clemson seemed to become overhyped once FSU beat them, before most were saying wait for the Clemson game to expose Winston as not as good as advertised.

They had a few bad bounces against and were behind to BC and he responded well, I am sorry but being behind at home against us is not like being behind on the road in Tuscaloosa. If Tanner Price could have the game he had against us and Renner before that, outside of the unpredictability of emotions fueled by the rivalry nature of this game, logic says a player clearly better than those guys to most observers should be able to perform better than those guys against the same defense, especially given the fact his supporting cast are better players than Wake or UNC have on offense.

The easier path to a UM victory imo is simply keep the ball away from the FSU offense as much as possible.

If you claim to have watched the player and yet not know whether he is better than Renner, Price and Driskell I accept that, but obviously that is a personal statement about your ability to asses the ability level of a group of QBs.

Many others dont have that perception of this group of QBs as no one is speaking of those three as being high NFL draft picks, Winston is already being discussed as being a very high pick by NFL scouts.

He doesnt need to be Montana, what he has shown so far is more than enough. The sample is only too small and skewed if u dont know what to look for. Interesting how Clemson seemed to become overhyped once FSU beat them, before most were saying wait for the Clemson game to expose Winston as not as good as advertised.

They had a few bad bounces against and were behind to BC and he responded well, I am sorry but being behind at home against us is not like being behind on the road in Tuscaloosa. If Tanner Price could have the game he had against us and Renner before that, outside of the unpredictability of emotions fueled by the rivalry nature of this game, logic says a player clearly better than those guys to most observers should be able to perform better than those guys against the same defense, especially given the fact his supporting cast are better players than Wake or UNC have on offense.

The easier path to a UM victory imo is simply keep the ball away from the FSU offense as much as possible.

You're still speculating. Barkley was a sure fire top pick. Mustain was headed for greatness. The list of those who were prematurely anointed as the next Brady is very, very long. ****, before the season people were talking about Renner being a first round pick -- now you're telling that **** is clearly better than him based, again, on a few games. I haven't seen the kid play from behind, under pressure, against talented athletes. No one doubts the talent. I'm very impressed with him. I'm just not ready to concede that he's going to shred Miami apart with a flawless performance for the ages. I think his inexperience is a plus and something we will exploit.

Advertisement

I cant agree with you on FSU "not getting the bounces" They completed a Hail Mary for a touchdown in that game. That is the ULTIMATE bounce in a football game. A Hail Mary pass is the lowest percentage play in football. So if you complete one of those you're getting the bounces...Its a much lower percentage play than even an onside kick.

That's what i've been saying this entire time..... the way our scheme is set up gives Miami the best chance to win.

Winston has been destroying blitzes and man on man coverage all season, playing bend but dont break w/ the zone scheme is the best formula for success.

You're still speculating. Barkley was a sure fire top pick. Mustain was headed for greatness. The list of those who were prematurely anointed as the next Brady is very, very long. ****, before the season people were talking about Renner being a first round pick -- now you're telling that **** is clearly better than him based, again, on a few games. I haven't seen the kid play from behind, under pressure, against talented athletes. No one doubts the talent. I'm very impressed with him. I'm just not ready to concede that he's going to shred Miami apart with a flawless performance for the ages. I think his inexperience is a plus and something we will exploit.

We are not speaking of the next Brady, at least I wasnt, I said he is the best passer we have faced in some years and I stand by that, I am still waiting for you to name a better passer we have faced recently as you believe my perception is premature?

My assessment of Winston is based first on his history prior to starting any CFB game and on what he as done this season as a RS Freshman. Secondly, on how his game has been assessed by scouts and coaches who assess and develop QBs for a living at the highest level.

My view of his potential against our defense is based on how our defense has performed so far this year against the QBs and passing games they have faced so far. My position is if the FSU offense have the ball in their hands similar to other offenses we have faced this year their passing game will be more successful than those other offenses have been.

They are a superior passing offense.

I cant agree with you on FSU "not getting the bounces" They completed a Hail Mary for a touchdown in that game. That is the ULTIMATE bounce in a football game. A Hail Mary pass is the lowest percentage play in football. So if you complete one of those you're getting the bounces...Its a much lower percentage play than even an onside kick.

You recall the play incorrectly, wasnt a hail Mary imo. He shook off tacklers, directed his wr in single coverage to go deep and threw the ball to him over the db covering him.

Thats not a fortunate bounce at all, they made that happen.

Advertisement
That's what i've been saying this entire time..... the way our scheme is set up gives Miami the best chance to win.

Winston has been destroying blitzes and man on man coverage all season, playing bend but dont break w/ the zone scheme is the best formula for success.

This

The thing that makes Jemima such a great QB is that he throws perfect passes with pass rushers right in his face. You almost never see that from QBs. He's an incredibly accurate passer, and he often does it with defenders closing in on him or already on him.

I am hoping that will change when he starts to get hit regularly. We need the big boys Porter, Pierre and Renfrow to get in his face and collapse the pocket so the ends can clean up when he steps out to either side. He is still young and inexperienced and I am hoping we hit him early, hit him often and get inside his head.

Keep the guy off the field with a ball control offense. If Morris continues becoming Jacory and we give the ball away, this game is over in the first half.

This

run the ball to shorten the clock, which will put more pressure on Winston to take advantage of each possession, then make him have to think w/ the zone scheme and see if he can make the right decisions quick.

Advertisement
One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention is how important tackling will be. FSU's receivers thrive on YAC. Against NC and Wake, the biggest problem we had in the first halves was very poor tackling. Several of those drives, especially against Wake, would have been cut short if we had simply tackled. Our guys were in position on several of those plays, especially the third down conversions. If we tackle as we did against Florida, we can win this game. If we tackle like we did against Wake and NC, we will get housed.

This

run the ball to shorten the clock, which will put more pressure on Winston to take advantage of each possession, then make him have to think w/ the zone scheme and see if he can make the right decisions quick.

Sounds good to me.

You recall the play incorrectly, wasnt a hail Mary imo. He shook off tacklers, directed his wr in single coverage to go deep and threw the ball to him over the db covering him.

I saw the play. It was a lucky throw and catch. It put me in the mind of the Eli Manning play in the Super Bowl when he escaped a few dudes then throw far as he could. It's not a normal thing to end a half or a game with a 40+ yard td throw and catch, sorry. That was an improbable play.

Advertisement
Winston is the best rs freshman QB I have ever seen, and that includes Manziel. The guy is mature and a leader and a helluva athlete playing QB. We better make him uncomfortable. And we need to tackle well -- prevent big plays.

I saw the play. It was a lucky throw and catch. It put me in the mind of the Eli Manning play in the Super Bowl when he escaped a few dudes then throw far as he could. It's not a normal thing to end a half or a game with a 40+ yard td throw and catch, sorry. That was an improbable play.

I agree it's not normal, but luck doesnt shake two defenders off u, luck doesnt point to the wr u wish to throw to, luck doesnt get the accurate pass off with a third defender in your face about to smash u to the ground and luck didnt make a play on the ball over the db to catch a TD.

Those are conscious actions each player worked hard to make happen.

[video=youtube;f75oTotRbIc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f75oTotRbIc[/video]

There was not a group of wrs and dbs sitting in the endzone wating for a jump ball situation hoping to come down with ball.....thats a hail mary. This was a wr in single coverage going deep and making the play over the db for the td.

Luck is when a pass deflects off a LBer right into the hands of the wr, luck is when u fumble the ball and it rolls out of bounds or into your teamates path before a defender can get to it.

The thing that makes Jemima such a great QB is that he throws perfect passes with pass rushers right in his face. You almost never see that from QBs. He's an incredibly accurate passer, and he often does it with defenders closing in on him or already on him.

I am hoping that will change when he starts to get hit regularly. We need the big boys Porter, Pierre and Renfrow to get in his face and collapse the pocket so the ends can clean up when he steps out to either side. He is still young and inexperienced and I am hoping we hit him early, hit him often and get inside his head.

I'm with you on that. We're basically in hope mode because nothing we've actually seen with our eyes supports that: a. we will get consistent pressure and hits on Jemima; and b. he will crumble as a result of "a".

Porter, Pierre and Renfrow will have to play the games of their lives because they haven't generated any pressure all year. I'd love to see OP give us a great game because he's been pretty quiet this year. I feel like he was a more disruptive force last year, but that might not be supported by numbers. It might just be a feeling based on not recalling him making many plays in the backfield.

I think our best hope, and again this is all hope, is that Jemima gets too emotional and lets those emotions get the better of him. I've seen him get very riled up from the slightest sht not going his way. If we can string together a couple good defensive plays against him maybe he'll implode with emotions and then start making bad decisions. I think that's our best hope with this guy.

CaliCanerepresent, you must not have seen Michael Vick back in 99'. Winstons numbers might be better when its all said and done but Vick took a no name Vtech squad to the title game and had them going toe to toe with a MUCH MUCH MUCH better FSU team for 3 qtrs. Nobody on here can name me one other player on that Vtech squad.

Anyway, The front four/DTs getting pressure on Winston changes the game completely. They have yet to do that against anyone though besides USF i guess. I would rather bank on them shutting the run down and then see where that takes us. If our secondary allows Winston to singlehandily beat them then so be it. At least we know they were vastly overrated. (Dont see that happening though. Think some people on here dont realize how good Howard and Gunter are)

Advertisement
Back