Jalen Rivers SR HL

There's absolutely no way in **** he's playing G. His wingspan is larger than all of the OTs selected in the 1st rd of the NFL draft. He needs to lose 15-20 lbs, and he could become an elite RT. Chances are he will definitely develop into that, because his intangibles are elite

Advertisement
He isn't redshirting. He will be in the 2 deep immediately
I agree.

but if isnt starting outside of the 4 game action that it allows he could end up redshirting

Similar to Payton at WR who is a very quality WR that can make plays now. But he has quailty upperclassmen in front of him that has allowed him to grow and develop mentally and physically

Redshirting isnt a NEGATIVE except to individuals who are ones to call true frosh busts like Haselwood at OU for not being a superstar year 1

I agree.

but if isnt starting outside of the 4 game action that it allows he could end up redshirting

Similar to Payton at WR who is a very quality WR that can make plays now. But he has quailty upperclassmen in front of him that has allowed him to grow and develop mentally and physically

Redshirting isnt a NEGATIVE except to individuals who are ones to call true frosh busts like Haselwood at OU for not being a superstar year 1

I think with Payton being in early, there is no way he should have been redshirted this year.

I think with Payton being in early, there is no way he should have been redshirted this year.
Yup I thought with Ezzard leaving ,wiggins and Nephew being super inconsistent he would step right in to some reps all year

Props to Wiggins though for keeping this stud on the bench....

But i fully expect Payton to show up and out next year reminding everyone how talented he is

Redshirting is a good thing. I don’t know why y’all in a rush to play guys so bad. That’s how you end up loosing guys in their 3rd year when they are just starting to hit their stride. If you have to play them play them but if they aren’t better than guys in front of them redshirting is absolutely the move.

Advertisement
This kid has a nasty punch. I mean his entire highlight is of him putting some pretty big ends for the high school level on they’re ***. I think he’s a prototypical right tackle

Looks more sluggish than I remember from his Jr. film. I do think he's a guard unless he loses weight and regains some quickness. He doesn't have anything close to a vertical set in his repertoire. Those pass blocking highlights were wholly unimpressive. The nice thing is if you compare him to Donaldson he plays with more balance as he has better weight distribution and more natural bend.

The young guys we have on OL have movement potential in the run game and Rivers is limited in that regard. I wonder how that will play out. It could necessitate playing him at RT which is a longer term project.
I also thought his junior year film was a lot more impressive. He look faster and more athletic on that tape.

Well first off props to Butch Barry for hanging on to this kid. I just knew he would flip after we started the season 3-4. Somebody on the staff has a helluva bond with this kid.

Advertisement
Redshirting is a good thing. I don’t know why y’all in a rush to play guys so bad. That’s how you end up loosing guys in their 3rd year when they are just starting to hit their stride. If you have to play them play them but if they aren’t better than guys in front of them redshirting is absolutely the move.
If we want Miami to be back to what it was, then elite talent going 3 and out is a part of that.

Red shirt everyone if possible. We wouldn’t be in this mess with the O line that we are.

Looks more sluggish than I remember from his Jr. film. I do think he's a guard unless he loses weight and regains some quickness. He doesn't have anything close to a vertical set in his repertoire. Those pass blocking highlights were wholly unimpressive. The nice thing is if you compare him to Donaldson he plays with more balance as he has better weight distribution and more natural bend.

The young guys we have on OL have movement potential in the run game and Rivers is limited in that regard. I wonder how that will play out. It could necessitate playing him at RT which is a longer term project.

Agree.

I always thought guard but his camp performance at tackle made me think he had a chance. Now, I'm back to guard all the way.

He isn't a guy with a ton of excess fat so I don't see him getting markedly quicker. The key with him is that he will move people (huge lower body, state champ in shotput) and he is a stud between the ears. There has to be a role for a guy like that.

Advertisement
If the line keeps showing progress from the last 3 games he'll definitely start at guard. He needs to lose 20 pounds and work on his technique but he's a great prospect even if he stays at guard and never plays tackle here. Coming as an EE should pay huge dividends for him.

Guard. He may be able to push one of the current guards back out to tackle.

Campbell i definately thought was a Tackle...but has looked good at Guard

Guard. He may be able to push one of the current guards back out to tackle.

Campbell i definately thought was a Tackle...but has looked good at Guard

Those guys need better conditioning and more footwork, then. Because all three of Herbert, Hillery and Campbell look rounder and slower... Rivers looks like an OG to me, too.

Advertisement
Big man, lots of power but doesn't have the punch you'd like to see in pass protection. He'll learn to do that better. His feet are good, not great. He has good bend and balance which should get better after he gets in better condition. Once he gets in better condition his footwork and balance will get even better. He has a high upside if developed properly. I'm going to reserve judgment on whether he is a left or right tackle until we learn if he's getting redshirted or not. I'm hoping we RS him and develop him for two years and he's ready to go as a RS sophmore as his technique needs work.

Once he learns to use his feet, getting them underneath him simultaneously with his strikes, he’ll be killing people. He’s already blowing guys up just off raw size and strength with false steps in his technique... pretty easy to clean up just because once you do it right a time or two it starts to click and it’s one of those these you truly feel an immediate difference.

I say he’s a tackle prospect just because of length and as much as our guards pull I don’t know that he’s quick enough to be successful there. Barry and Enos have been offering guards that can move laterally similar to Jakai Clark.

Honestly doesn’t look much different than Donaldson and I’m not saying that in a good way... Donaldson was slow footed and still is. Both are waste benders and lunge too much. Hopefully coach Barry can do it us to develop this OL(who has improved pretty well) and this kid can RS because he needs it bad. Is he an EE? Needs to get his body right for one and needs a lot of work with technique. He definitely has some great traits though. Extremely long arms and a powerful punch. Once he learns how to use them, he should be nasty.

Advertisement
Back