Jalen Mitchell (Rockledge)

He's got football speed. Plenty of lateral movement. Quicker than fast as they say. Reminds me a little bit of Frank Gore.

Advertisement
That short-area burst comes out on film. Real nice bounce moving laterally.

Brown knows backs. This kid isn’t Crowley but he’s a nice find and looks like a good depth piece if we go that direction.

Any signs that Battle or Crowley may reconsider Miami after the Urban retirement news?

Advertisement
I remember when 4.65 was not slow for a RB. Maybe the 1980's. Mike Irvin was an elite receiver at 4.6.

I guess things have changed.

Do we ever send kids to speed coaches and how effective are they?

Currently, the average verified time for a RB in the 40-yard dash is a 4.71. Running an electronic 4.65 40-yard dash (not the 4.45 that every player says they run) is a pretty fast player.

Stop bashing seniors. I'll run though your defense any day...where at my glasses..can't find my glasses...****.
Listen...I'm starting to get cataracts....At my age, I'm just happy to still be around. The other day we had a thread discussing the old Gotham Bowl game played around '61 or '62 and a bunch of people remembered the last play of the game where the real Matador hit an open Hoyt Sparks in the corner at the goal line with what would have been the go-ahead and winning TD. Hoyt slipped on the ice and didn't catch the ball.

i looked up and saw that ol' Hoyt died a few years back after coaching and teaching in Dade schools for years. Hot was older than I am by about six years. I've already lived longer. I want to stay around and see us become a national championship competitor again. So, I'm just glad to be around.

So, I don't care if I need glasses...I won't care if I even need cataract surgery one of these days. (I've got a new ophthalmologist who is about a third of my age and went to a school called Pine Forest down in Broward, I think.

Advertisement
Currently, the average verified time for a RB in the 40-yard dash is a 4.71. Running an electronic 4.65 40-yard dash (not the 4.45 that every player says they run) is a pretty fast player.
So, what about the times for Asa Martin and the other guy? Are they electronic? If so, maybe Martin can get his time down to the 4.6 range That wouldn'be bad, would it? I think there are really not that many guys who are truly blazing fast. Lo might be, maybe Lamar Miller was, but Edge, Gore,....how about the others we had, McGahee, Duke and Portis? Actually Homer seems to be pretty fast.

Also, how much can guys do to improve 40 times? I've seen lots of reports over the years of college guys to significantly reduce their 40 times. Can speed coaches help? Or, are speed coaches a fad? It seems to me track coaches probably can do a lot to improve speed, so why not a speed coach for football?

Thanks to anyone for help with these questions. Actually, I think both Martin and the Rockledge kid are fast enough. I wish we could take both if we don't get D.J. Williams.

I attended Rockledge High for a half a year in the mid-60's. Actually, Cocoa High was the school then. When they built a new Cocoa High, I'm pretty sure they opened up a new Rockledge High and used the old Cocoa High building which actually was in Rockledge.

We used to recruit Merritt Island pretty intensively. That is another school in the general vicinity. Before they built Cocoa Beach High and Merritt Island, kids in Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral used to travel over the causeway to attend Cocoa. Then they built Cocoa Beach, then Merritt Island, which became a power in the early '70's. The Caziah kid actually lives in Cape Canaveral so his local school is Cocoa Beach but they play such non-competitive football he travels over to Cocoa High. Why not Merritt Island which is closer, I don't know. Perhaps M.I.'s program has declined.

Advertisement
The kid looks good. I don't think the speed is a problem. He's got enough.

If you're Toledo, or App State, or whoever was otherwise getting him...you're likely thinking that you've got a future starting running back if you got him. But, this is Miami and as a prospect, he's a little underwhelming considering how far down the list we've gone.

He's in the same spectrum as a Vincent Davis. A lower P5 or really strong G5 recruit. It is what it is...we are out here analyzing film of Sun Belt recruits.

giphy.gif
Who? Martin? Less than a year ago he was a solid four star, top ten RB and had a choice of Bama or Auburn. What's changed? Or are you talking about Mitchell?

Ah no. Milliniea
Ive seen it all now.

D$, quit hanging CIS banners at special needs schools. You’re destroying this board.
Says you and the rest of the cry baby haters!!! Can't deal with adversity without whining, crying, and throwing hate at the coaches. What good is all this negativity? Is helping get recruits to UM or pushing them away?

All this irrational negativity is exhausting and isn't doing one **** bit of good for the program. If anything your helping to bring it down.

Advertisement
So, what about the times for Asa Martin and the other guy? Are they electronic? If so, maybe Martin can get his time down to the 4.6 range That wouldn'be bad, would it? I think there are really not that many guys who are truly blazing fast. Lo might be, maybe Lamar Miller was, but Edge, Gore,....how about the others we had, McGahee, Duke and Portis? Actually Homer seems to be pretty fast.

Also, how much can guys do to improve 40 times? I've seen lots of reports over the years of college guys to significantly reduce their 40 times. Can speed coaches help? Or, are speed coaches a fad? It seems to me track coaches probably can do a lot to improve speed, so why not a speed coach for football?

Thanks to anyone for help with these questions. Actually, I think both Martin and the Rockledge kid are fast enough. I wish we could take both if we don't get D.J. Williams.

I attended Rockledge High for a half a year in the mid-60's. Actually, Cocoa High was the school then. When they built a new Cocoa High, I'm pretty sure they opened up a new Rockledge High and used the old Cocoa High building which actually was in Rockledge.

We used to recruit Merritt Island pretty intensively. That is another school in the general vicinity. Before they built Cocoa Beach High and Merritt Island, kids in Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral used to travel over the causeway to attend Cocoa. Then they built Cocoa Beach, then Merritt Island, which became a power in the early '70's. The Caziah kid actually lives in Cape Canaveral so his local school is Cocoa Beach but they play such non-competitive football he travels over to Cocoa High. Why not Merritt Island which is closer, I don't know. Perhaps M.I.'s program has declined.
Caziah is from Titusville, and should be going to Titusville High, or Astronaut High. I grew up here and went to Satellite high and came back after serving in the military 21 years. Been back since 2000. A partner of mine from work, his father is a coach on Cocoa high (who played in the state title but lost to Raines). Caziah actually lives in Titusville. Please look it up.

Caziah Holmes (2020) is from TITUSVILLE; not Cape Canaveral. One look at any of his social media says that. Not sure why you keep posting he his from Cape Canaveral. Cocoa has been a State Semi Final team for 12 straight years... that is why kids go there!

L. Tennison (2020) is another Rockledge player with an offer. He is from the Palm Bay area. Left PBHS because his older brother got zero looks and was a really good player. Transferred. Has played extremely well and is blowing up on the the recruiting front.

Caziah is from Titusville, and should be going to Titusville High, or Astronaut High. I grew up here and went to Satellite high and came back after serving in the military 21 years. Been back since 2000. A partner of mine from work, his father is a coach on Cocoa high (who played in the state title but lost to Raines). Caziah actually lives in Titusville. Please look it up.
I've read numerous articles that have said he is from Cape Canaveral. If they're wrong, they're wrong. Astronaut didn't exist when I lived there.

I don't care where Caziah lives and I don't need to look it up. I just want to get him if the staff wants him.

Just commenting on how the talent in the county has shifted. Used to be Merritt Island, and then Palm Bay. Now is it Rockledge. When I went to school in Brevard all the programs were mediocre.

Advertisement
Back