Jalen Mitchell (Rockledge)

Caziah Holmes (2020) is from TITUSVILLE; not Cape Canaveral. One look at any of his social media says that. Not sure why you keep posting he his from Cape Canaveral. Cocoa has been a State Semi Final team for 12 straight years... that is why kids go there!

L. Tennison (2020) is another Rockledge player with an offer. He is from the Palm Bay area. Left PBHS because his older brother got zero looks and was a really good player. Transferred. Has played extremely well and is blowing up on the the recruiting front.

One of the very first posts on this board about Holmes said he was from Cape Canaveral. I'll try to find it. So it was wrong. Band me for believing it.

Here it is:

https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/2020-athlete-from-cape-canaveral-unreal-speed-for-age.118723/

So maybe it was not lots of articles. I just remember that one and thought it was accurate. Thought it was kind of disloyal for a Case Canaveral kid to skip Cocoa Beach and go to rival Cocoa. Of course, I recently looked at Cocoa Beach's schedule and realize they play at such a low level that most good players would want to go elsewhere.

I guess Cocoa is not a rival anymore since they play at very different levels. When I was there we were rivals because Cocoa Beach was formed out of former Cocoa High students. In fact a lot of the older alums have joint alumni activities.

As I said elsewhere, football was mediocre. The schools were segregated. Cocoa got it's first black player, Charlie "Catman" Wilson in '64. He was 10th grade and **** good. Ended up at Penn State. He might have been the first Black player to integrate Brevard football.

I had no idea who the Black H S. athletes were back then, there was no publicity. In fact, there must have been a segregated Black HS for the Cocoa area and I have no idea the name. The schools apparently started to integrate in the late '60's but I was already in college.

I moved from Miami in late '63 and segregation was pretty much the same.

About the only Black player who played for a predominantly white HS in the early '60's was Carroll Williams, QB at Curley. Archbishop Curley was pretty decent in football back then. There was much speculation Williams would be first Black player at UM but it didn't happen.

Every year the Herald and News would publish All-County teams and that was the only time you'd be aware of the best Black players in Dade.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back