Jalen Merrick...

Advertisement
Him not taking an offical visit I think puts Miami out. I think he goes to Wisconsin since they are known to put OL into the NFL.

And Miami doesnt? Lol

Are you actually implying that we put as many OL in the NFL as (arguably) the #1 OL factory in college football?

Yes. Alabama has more OL 1st round picks but Miami is very comparable in terms what we produce in the NFL.

Currently Alabama has 9 players in the NFL:
2014 2 44 Cyrus Kouandjio T Buffalo Bills
2014 Anthony Steen G St Louis Cardinals (PS)
2013 4 113 Barrett Jones C St. Louis Rams
2013 1 11 D. J. Fluker T San Diego Chargers
2013 1 10 Chance Warmack G Tennessee Titans
2011 1 25 James Carpenter T Seattle Seahawks
2010 3 98 Mike Johnson G Atlanta Falcons
2009 1 6 Andre Smith T Cincinnati Bengals
2005 3 79 Evan Mathis* G Carolina Panthers

Miami has 8:
2014 3 93 Brandon Linder G Jaguars
2014 7 237 Seantrel Henderson OT Bills
2012 6 200 Brandon Washington G Rams
2012 Harland Gunn G Falcons
2011 2 46 Orlando Franklin G Broncos
2010 4 128 Jason Fox OT Dolphins
2006 3 66 Eric Winston OT Bengals
2005 6 200 Chris Myers* C Texans

Although Alabama has 4 1st round picks they have the same amount of Pro Bowlers (1) and only 1 more starter currently in the NFL.

5 of Alabama's 9 players are from the past 2 years. 2 out of 5 are starting (Warmack, Fluker). Miami has 2 rookie starters this year (Henderson, Linder). Henderson starts over Kouandjio who was drafted 5 rounds ahead of him.

The veterans are Myers and Winston for Miami and Mathis for Alabama. Both Myers and Mathis made the Pro Bowl in 2014, but Myers has been a a starter for 8 years while Mathis only has 4 years of starting experience.

Winston was on the verge of retirement but was just recently sign by the Bengals. McKinnie is also still out there as a free agent. Both of these guys were starters last year.

Prior to 2000, neither team produced OL on a consistent basis and are actually very similar in terms of NFL talent produced.

Alabama has 2 HOFs in John Hannah (9 Pro Bowls, 13-year starter) and Dwight Stephenson (5 Pro Bowls, 6-year starter).
Miami has 1 HOF in Jim Otto (12 Pro bowls, 15-year starter) but also has Dennis Harrah (6 Pro bowls, 11-year starter).

The only other OL from Alabma of note is 6 time Pro bowler Chris Samuels.
Miami has former Pro bowlers Leon Searcy and Bryant McKinnie.

This is about what have you done for me lately. For the current high school recruit, they don't care about John Hannan or Bryant McKinnie.

Take Jalen MErrick, an interior lineman, for instance.

What is the best recruiting pitch?

ALABAMA - "Want to be the next Chance Warmack and get drafted in the first round as a guard?"
WISCONSIN - "We've had 2 interior linemen drafter in the first round in the last 3 years."
MIAMI - "You can be the next Brandon Linder!"

It doesn't matter whether this **** is true or not. Of all the guys just talked about, really none of them is a name brand guy. It's called "recruiting".

Alabama, Wisconsin, Iowa...those schools are perceived as OL factories and have selling points that can back it up within the last 5 years.

Him not taking an offical visit I think puts Miami out. I think he goes to Wisconsin since they are known to put OL into the NFL.

And Miami doesnt? Lol

Are you actually implying that we put as many OL in the NFL as (arguably) the #1 OL factory in college football?

Yes. Alabama has more OL 1st round picks but Miami is very comparable in terms what we produce in the NFL.

Currently Alabama has 9 players in the NFL:
2014244Cyrus KouandjioTBuffalo Bills
2014Anthony SteenGSt Louis Cardinals (PS)
20134113Barrett JonesCSt. Louis Rams
2013111D. J. FlukerTSan Diego Chargers
2013110Chance WarmackGTennessee Titans
2011125James CarpenterTSeattle Seahawks
2010398Mike JohnsonGAtlanta Falcons
200916Andre SmithTCincinnati Bengals
2005379Evan Mathis*GCarolina Panthers

Miami has 8:
2014393Brandon LinderGJaguars
20147237Seantrel HendersonOTBills
20126200Brandon WashingtonGRams
2012Harland GunnGFalcons
2011246Orlando FranklinGBroncos
20104128Jason FoxOTDolphins
2006366Eric WinstonOTBengals
20056200Chris Myers*CTexans

Although Alabama has 4 1st round picks they have the same amount of Pro Bowlers (1) and only 1 more starter currently in the NFL.

5 of Alabama's 9 players are from the past 2 years. 2 out of 5 are starting (Warmack, Fluker). Miami has 2 rookie starters this year (Henderson, Linder). Henderson starts over Kouandjio who was drafted 5 rounds ahead of him.

The veterans are Myers and Winston for Miami and Mathis for Alabama. Both Myers and Mathis made the Pro Bowl in 2014, but Myers has been a a starter for 8 years while Mathis only has 4 years of starting experience.

Winston was on the verge of retirement but was just recently sign by the Bengals. McKinnie is also still out there as a free agent. Both of these guys were starters last year.

Prior to 2000, neither team produced OL on a consistent basis and are actually very similar in terms of NFL talent produced.

Alabama has 2 HOFs in John Hannah (9 Pro Bowls, 13-year starter) and Dwight Stephenson (5 Pro Bowls, 6-year starter).
Miami has 1 HOF in Jim Otto (12 Pro bowls, 15-year starter) but also has Dennis Harrah (6 Pro bowls, 11-year starter).

The only other OL from Alabma of note is 6 time Pro bowler Chris Samuels.
Miami has former Pro bowlers Leon Searcy and Bryant McKinnie.

This is about what have you done for me lately. For the current high school recruit, they don't care about John Hannan or Bryant McKinnie.

ALABAMA - "Want to be the next Chance Warmack and get drafted in the first round as a guard?"
WISCONSIN - "We've had 2 interior linemen drafter in the first round in the last 3 years."

It doesn't matter whether this **** is true or not. Of all the guys just talked about, really none of them is a name brand guy. It's called "recruiting".

Alabama, Wisconsin, Iowa...those schools are perceived as OL factories and have selling points that can back it up within the last 5 years.

With Miami, you are selling Art Kehoe and all the NFL talent he's groomed. That is why OL recruits have been lining up.

Your original question.

If that's the case then Miami out produced Alabama in the most recent draft class. My pitch would be:

"Can we develop talent? We lost 4 OL from last year's team, one is starting at UCLA because he didn't think he could start here. Another 2 are starting in NFL. The 4th guy was invited to a NFL camp even though he was pretty much a 5 year career backup here."

"What about our interior OL? Well, 2 of our current guys have been 4 year starters, so the only starter we've had in the draft the past 4 years is currently starting for the Jacksonville Jaguars."

"Come in and compete! Every OT or G who started full-time on our OL since 2010 is currently working in the NFL. We expect 3 more to join them in April."

Jason Fox

Franklin*
Washington
Gunn
Linder
Henderson

Henderson
Gunn*
McDermott
Linder
Washington*

Flowers
Henderson
Feliciano
Linder
McDemontt

Flowers
Feliciano
Linder*
Henderson*
McDermott

Flowers
Feliciano
McDemott
Isadora

Last edited:
Great stuff by Hurricane Warrior.

You didn't even need to mention Flowers, who IMO is the best OL prospect we've produced since McKinnie. I also think Feliciano will surprise people down the road.

Advertisement
Great stuff by Hurricane Warrior.

You didn't even need to mention Flowers, who IMO is the best OL prospect we've produced since McKinnie. I also think Feliciano will surprise people down the road.

Agreed on Flowers and Feliciano. They should keep the pipeline going.

I actually think McDermott has a chance to make a team as well and eventually be a starter. He is tough and smart at 6'4" 300.

Shane McDermott: 5.48 40 (5.44 best), 4.78 20, 27 reps of 225, 500 squat, 301 power clean, 425 bench press, 28.5 vertical

Your original question.

If that's the case then Miami out produced Alabama in the most recent draft class. My pitch would be:

"Can we develop talent? We lost 4 OL from last year's team, one is starting at UCLA because he didn't think he could start here. Another 2 are starting in NFL. The 4th guy was invited to a NFL camp even though he was pretty much a 5 year career backup here."

"What about our interior OL? Well, 2 of our current guys have been 4 year starters, so the only starter we've had in the draft the past 4 years is currently starting for the Jacksonville Jaguars."

"Come in and compete! Every OT or G who started full-time on our OL since 2010 is currently working in the NFL. We expect 3 more to join them in April."

Jason Fox

Franklin*
Washington
Gunn
Linder
Henderson

Henderson
Gunn*
McDermott
Linder
Washington*

Flowers
Henderson
Feliciano
Linder
McDemontt

Flowers
Feliciano
Linder*
Henderson*
McDermott

Flowers
Feliciano
McDemott
Isadora

Fair.

I crossed 2 arguments. MY disgust with this program is rotting my brain. Repped.

Why did a discussion about Wisconsin's efforts at putting OL in the league lead to a detailed analysis of Alabama NFL players?

They need to take Hurricane Warrior with them on these in-home recruiting visits! :applause:

Advertisement
Hope to get this kid. However, generally speaking even if they visited hundreds of times unofficialy, no OV= no commitment at the end of the day. Hope its not the case but...

Advertisement
Ya'll are forgetting that Jalen Merrick's is tipping his hand slightly to were he is going with all social media handles. Merrick is using the blind side theme every where, and guess who coached up Michael Orr at Ole Miss, drum roll please: miami's very own Arturus Francis Kehoe who made Orr a Left Tackle when he was at Ole Miss. An Orr playing the LT spot is what has made him Millions more than other oline positions.

Article on Kehoe coaching Michael Orr
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=33450

Which plays right into the family ties with UM. In the end Merrick will be a Canes

Advertisement
You're reading too much into it. I doubt Merrick even knows Kehoe coached Oher at Ole Miss.

You're reading too much into it. I doubt Merrick even knows Kehoe coached Oher at Ole Miss.

although he has a screen shot of the Michael Oher story on his account and it's not crazy to think that Kehoe personally told him about the talent he has developed...so maybe, maybe not

Ya'll are forgetting that Jalen Merrick's is tipping his hand slightly to were he is going with all social media handles. Merrick is using the blind side theme every where, and guess who coached up Michael Orr at Ole Miss, drum roll please: miami's very own Arturus Francis Kehoe who made Orr a Left Tackle when he was at Ole Miss. An Orr playing the LT spot is what has made him Millions more than other oline positions.

Article on Kehoe coaching Michael Orr
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=33450

Which plays right into the family ties with UM. In the end Merrick will be a Canes

People aren't forgetting, it's just no sane human being would ever think that.

Advertisement
Back