Jalen Merrick...

CanesNation55

Thunderdome
New Smyrna Beach (FL) High School OL Jalen Merrick is running out of time.

He's in position to graduate early, which gives him just a few short weeks to make a decision from the seven schools that remain in his picture. Those schools, according to his coach Lance Jenkins, are Miami, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Florida State, LSU, Alabama and Miami.

Of those, it's UM and UF that aren't getting official visits.

That's despite Cane coaches taking an in-home visit with him last week and pushing hard to get him to switch this weekend's Alabama visit with the Hurricanes.

Merrick's already visited Wisconsin, Arkansas, FSU and most recently LSU.

"Miami coaches wanted him to come visit - coach Hurlie Brown [who went to high school with Jenkins] and coach (Al) Golden were here on campus this past week, and coach Brown and Art Kehoe visited his home that night," Jenkins said. "They were pushing him pretty hard for that visit. But he'll go to Alabama this weekend. He has been to Miami, knows what they offer. He's been to Miami so much growing up, his father's a Miami grad. So he's been there and his thought process and mine too is you've been there a bunch, go see some other things if they're going to pay for it. ... Florida's the same thing as well - he has a pool of seven teams he's looking at. He hasn't made any final decisions, and he's most likely going to make his decision after this Alabama visit."

While mystery surrounds what school he will pick, what's not a question is Merrick's talent level.

"He's just an athlete," Jenkins said. "He's 6-5, 330. He has as 36 inch vertical. It's only his second year ever playing football this past season. Before this he played AAU basketball all his life. He's a big guy that's a basketball player and has great feet. It's just a great crossover from where he was on the court to where he is on the field.

"He didn't turn 18 until September, so he really should be a 2016 guy. And he's benching over 400 pounds. He's just a natural athlete."

Jenkins, who also coached Merrick's older brother, saw Jalen as an eighth grader and tried to get him out for the football team back then.

"He was a monster, but just a basketball player," Jenkins said. "He came out for a cup of coffee his freshman year, played JV, didn't like it, didn't play as a sophomore. His junior year he made the commitment in the weight room, saw some results and it went from there."

Jenkins says Merrick has over 90 scholarship offers.

"When you see him in person compared to on film they're all just wowed compared to on film," Jenkins said. "He's just a big, dense human being and he's just going to get better and better and better. It's big upside."

Merrick also carries a 3.5-plus GPA.

"He's a very cerebral kid, he's done his due diligence, is going to make a decision," Jenkins said. "When he and I talk, we don't talk about schools, we just talk about what means a lot to him and what he's looking for. He's looking academics and football. Mom and dad are looking academics, too. He's a business (major), so that's what he's looking for, that combination of academics sand football, program prestige. And he wants to win."

Advertisement
Him not taking an offical visit I think puts Miami out. I think he goes to Wisconsin since they are known to put OL into the NFL.

Advertisement
New Smyrna Beach (FL) High School OL Jalen Merrick is running out of time.

He's in position to graduate early, which gives him just a few short weeks to make a decision from the seven schools that remain in his picture. Those schools, according to his coach Lance Jenkins, are Miami, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Florida State, LSU, Alabama and Miami.

Of those, it's UM and UF that aren't getting official visits.

That's despite Cane coaches taking an in-home visit with him last week and pushing hard to get him to switch this weekend's Alabama visit with the Hurricanes.

Merrick's already visited Wisconsin, Arkansas, FSU and most recently LSU.

"Miami coaches wanted him to come visit - coach Hurlie Brown [who went to high school with Jenkins] and coach (Al) Golden were here on campus this past week, and coach Brown and Art Kehoe visited his home that night," Jenkins said. "They were pushing him pretty hard for that visit. But he'll go to Alabama this weekend. He has been to Miami, knows what they offer. He's been to Miami so much growing up, his father's a Miami grad. So he's been there and his thought process and mine too is you've been there a bunch, go see some other things if they're going to pay for it. ... Florida's the same thing as well - he has a pool of seven teams he's looking at. He hasn't made any final decisions, and he's most likely going to make his decision after this Alabama visit."

While mystery surrounds what school he will pick, what's not a question is Merrick's talent level.

"He's just an athlete," Jenkins said. "He's 6-5, 330. He has as 36 inch vertical. It's only his second year ever playing football this past season. Before this he played AAU basketball all his life. He's a big guy that's a basketball player and has great feet. It's just a great crossover from where he was on the court to where he is on the field.

"He didn't turn 18 until September, so he really should be a 2016 guy. And he's benching over 400 pounds. He's just a natural athlete."

Jenkins, who also coached Merrick's older brother, saw Jalen as an eighth grader and tried to get him out for the football team back then.

"He was a monster, but just a basketball player," Jenkins said. "He came out for a cup of coffee his freshman year, played JV, didn't like it, didn't play as a sophomore. His junior year he made the commitment in the weight room, saw some results and it went from there."

Jenkins says Merrick has over 90 scholarship offers.

"When you see him in person compared to on film they're all just wowed compared to on film," Jenkins said. "He's just a big, dense human being and he's just going to get better and better and better. It's big upside."

Merrick also carries a 3.5-plus GPA.

"He's a very cerebral kid, he's done his due diligence, is going to make a decision," Jenkins said. "When he and I talk, we don't talk about schools, we just talk about what means a lot to him and what he's looking for. He's looking academics and football. Mom and dad are looking academics, too. He's a business (major), so that's what he's looking for, that combination of academics sand football, program prestige. And he wants to win."

Go see some "other" things they say. So kid goes to visit ******* Arkansas?

Advertisement
The rule is no visit, no commitment. I've seen a handful of instances where that wasn't the case. Sucks, because UF desperately needs help on the o-line and we could use him, as could Miami I'm sure.

You can see how much we suck knowing that probably we have the best Business Program compared to all those schools and still the kid what even consider Miami a real option. All that is window dressing when he says he knows Miami. Program has become a joke.

Advertisement
Season ticket holding UM fans making the best decision for their son. This school doesn´t care about winning....would you send your kid here? For the first time ever I can´t answer that question with a screamed "**** yeah!!".

Him not taking an offical visit I think puts Miami out. I think he goes to Wisconsin since they are known to put OL into the NFL.

Im calling Arkansas or Florida. Think Miami is way gone at this point

I don't think we've ever landed a kid who didn't take an OV here...

Corn Elder says Hi. Never visited and committed. Others have too but can't tell the negative Miami fans it happens. This kid has been here a ton. Academics wise Miami and uf are head and shoulders above the others. Fsu hashas a decent business school but their academics as a whole are poor.

Advertisement
I don't think we've ever landed a kid who didn't take an OV here...

Corn Elder says Hi. Never visited and committed. Others have too but can't tell the negative Miami fans it happens. This kid has been here a ton. Academics wise Miami and uf are head and shoulders above the others. Fsu hashas a decent business school but their academics as a whole are poor.

/handwank

He gone.

And Miami doesnt? Lol

Are you actually implying that we put as many OL in the NFL as (arguably) the #1 OL factory in college football?

Yes. Alabama has more OL 1st round picks but Miami is very comparable in terms what we produce in the NFL.

Currently Alabama has 9 players in the NFL:
2014 2 44 Cyrus Kouandjio T Buffalo Bills
2014 Anthony Steen G St Louis Cardinals (PS)
2013 4 113 Barrett Jones C St. Louis Rams
2013 1 11 D. J. Fluker T San Diego Chargers
2013 1 10 Chance Warmack G Tennessee Titans
2011 1 25 James Carpenter T Seattle Seahawks
2010 3 98 Mike Johnson G Atlanta Falcons
2009 1 6 Andre Smith T Cincinnati Bengals
2005 3 79 Evan Mathis* G Carolina Panthers

Miami has 8:
2014 3 93 Brandon Linder G Jaguars
2014 7 237 Seantrel Henderson OT Bills
2012 6 200 Brandon Washington G Rams
2012 Harland Gunn G Falcons
2011 2 46 Orlando Franklin G Broncos
2010 4 128 Jason Fox OT Dolphins
2006 3 66 Eric Winston OT Bengals
2005 6 200 Chris Myers* C Texans

Although Alabama has 4 1st round picks they have the same amount of Pro Bowlers (1) and only 1 more starter currently in the NFL.

5 of Alabama's 9 players are from the past 2 years. 2 out of 5 are starting (Warmack, Fluker). Miami has 2 rookie starters this year (Henderson, Linder). Henderson starts over Kouandjio who was drafted 5 rounds ahead of him.

The veterans are Myers and Winston for Miami and Mathis for Alabama. Both Myers and Mathis made the Pro Bowl in 2014, but Myers has been a a starter for 8 years while Mathis only has 4 years of starting experience.

Winston was on the verge of retirement but was just recently sign by the Bengals. McKinnie is also still out there as a free agent. Both of these guys were starters last year.

Prior to 2000, neither team produced OL on a consistent basis and are actually very similar in terms of NFL talent produced.

Alabama has 2 HOFs in John Hannah (9 Pro Bowls, 13-year starter) and Dwight Stephenson (5 Pro Bowls, 6-year starter).
Miami has 1 HOF in Jim Otto (12 Pro bowls, 15-year starter) but also has Dennis Harrah (6 Pro bowls, 11-year starter).

The only other OL from Alabma of note is 6 time Pro bowler Chris Samuels.
Miami has former Pro bowlers Leon Searcy and Bryant McKinnie.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back