Jake Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't high on Garcia from the beginning, but I was willing to give Lash the benefit of the doubt if he wanted him.

I've said numerous times, Southern Cali QB's are very iffy & you have to do a lot of due diligence before you put your eggs in that basket because their bust rate is higher than most QB's from other regions & they typically stay out West.

I'm in the minority but I still would take a run at Jay Allen or offer Braylon Braxton. I know everybody gets all hot & bothered over star rankings, but trust me if you do your research you'll realize that a high percentage of high ranked QB's coming out HS bust & wash out, rankings are not everything, especially when it comes to QB's.

And yes I'm a firm believer in taking one every class, not saying I'll be upset if we don't get on this class, but ideally you take one every opportunity you can because you never know how they'll turn out. Just because you can't land a 4/5-star every year doesn't mean that a 3-star isn't going to be good in college, just look at Kedon Slovis, a mid tier 3-star from AZ came into USC & ate JT Daniels the "elite" 5-star #1 ranked QB's lunch & sent his *** packing to UGA. And yeah I know JT got injured, but his Freshman season he was garbage & before he got injured he played like shìt.

I'm not trippin that we're not getting Garcia, I didn't really want him anyway, I just wish we would've pushed harder & sent out more offers to the TX QB's this cycle, 14 non Texas schools will be signing a TX QB this class including 2 in the state of Florida, there's no reason why Miami couldn't have gotten in on that action if we just put a little more effort there earlier in the year. But I'm confident we won't make that mistake twice for the 22 class.

Last edited:
Advertisement
i think the model for us under lashlee prob looks like a mini-oklahoma... one year of d'eriq, one year of another transfer, then hopefully TVD. it wouldn't shock me if we had three straight years of transfers tho, esp given how well we do in the portal. at this point it depends on how real the TVD hype is.

I wasn't high on Garcia from the beginning, but I was willing to give Lash the benefit of the doubt if he wanted him.

I've said numerous times, Southern Cali QB's are very iffy & you have to do a lot of due diligence before you put your eggs in that basket because their bust rate is higher than most QB's from other regions & they typically stay out West.

I'm in the minority but I still would take a run at Jay Allen or offer Braylon Braxton. I know everybody gets all hot & bothered over star rankings, but trust me if you do your research you'll realize that a high percentage of high ranked QB's coming out HS bust & wash out, rankings are not everything, especially when it comes to QB's.

And yes I'm a firm believer in taking one every class, not saying I'll be upset if we don't get on this class, but ideally you take one every opportunity you can because you never know how they'll turn out. Just because you can't land a 4/5-star every year doesn't mean that a 3-star isn't going to be good in college, just look at Kedon Slovis, a mid tier 3-star from AZ came into USC & ate JT Daniels the "elite" 5-star #1 ranked QB's lunch & sent his *** packing to UGA. And yeah I know JT got injured, but his Freshman season he was garbage & before he got injured he played like shìt.

I'm not trippin that we're not getting Garcia, I didn't really want him anyway, I just wish we would've pushed harder & sent out more offers to the TX QB's this cycle, 14 non Texas are schools will be signing a TX QB this class including 2 in the state of Florida, there's no reason why Miami couldn't have gotten in on that action if we just put a little more effort there earlier in the year. But I'm confident we won't make that mistake twice for the 22 class.

I’ve always said I’d like him for the ranking bump lol, but I’d prefer we landed somebody else. I wanted a good athlete in this offense. Not having that threat takes away the full capability of the o. It’s not the end all, just my preference in lashlees o.

Also Garcia never blew me away.

King is 1 and done. One will transfer out of Tate and N’kosi, (or perhaps both.) P. Machota is likely to transfer out as well. 4 QBs possibly out and we’d be entering 2021 season with 1 or 2 QBs on scholarship. That’s why talks of skipping out on a QB this year is the stupidest sh-t I’ve heard.
This!

I'm not trippin that we're not getting Garcia, I didn't really want him anyway, I just wish we would've pushed harder & sent out more offers to the TX QB's this cycle, 14 non Texas are schools will be signing a TX QB this class including 2 in the state of Florida, there's no reason why Miami couldn't have gotten in on that action if we just put a little more effort there earlier in the year. But I'm confident we won't make that mistake twice for the 22 class.

Especially with Lashlee coming from TX...

Advertisement

I’m agreeing with you on this. Braylon has top level touch on his deep balls and very good arm strength. He’s got pretty good feel in the pocket - you can can see him manipulate the space naturally. He’s also got a 16 minute tape, that’s a great sign for sure. I like him and he’s first team all state kid from a state that produces high talent at the position year in and year out. I haven’t watched many QBs tape this cycle. But I will share an unpopular opinion about TVD. Kid comes from a super small division in Conn. I’m not really high on him being a world beater.

I'm not trippin that we're not getting Garcia, I didn't really want him anyway, I just wish we would've pushed harder & sent out more offers to the TX QB's this cycle, 14 non Texas schools will be signing a TX QB this class including 2 in the state of Florida, there's no reason why Miami couldn't have gotten in on that action if we just put a little more effort there earlier in the year. But I'm confident we won't make that mistake twice for the 22 class.

I would like Braxton I think the connection with our tight end and making possible inroads to his high school benefit us more than signing Garcia ever would

Last edited:
Advertisement
Garcia is keeping the relationship with Lashlee, just in case. Not a bad move on either part. We fans got crazy.

Those high ranked So Cal QBs seem so robotic to me. They get QB coaches from the time they’re able to pick up a football and end up dominating camps and 7v7. Once real bullets start flying a good portion shrivel up. Obviously there have been some really good QBs out of that region but something seems off with how many bust.

Those high ranked So Cal QBs seem so robotic to me. They get QB coaches from the time they’re able to pick up a football and end up dominating camps and 7v7. Once real bullets start flying a good portion shrivel up. Obviously there have been some really good QBs out of that region but something seems off with how many bust.
Too coddled & too pampered.

The Qb's that succeed are the ones who can deal with adversity & are typically multi-sport athletes.

Advertisement
Kinda wild nobody is foaming at the mouth to play for Lashlee with Miami athletes. My theory always has been if we miss on the big fish give a raw athletic local a shot. Maybe not this year bc spots are tight but in a normal year why not.

Kinda wild nobody is foaming at the mouth to play for Lashlee with Miami athletes. My theory always has been if we miss on the big fish give a raw athletic local a shot. Maybe not this year bc spots are tight but in a normal year why not.

Qb recruiting starts years in advance and most are committed the summer before their senior season or earlier. (Sometimes junior season)

Lashlee coming on so late hurts, better odds at getting a stud in 2022.

He commited to sooners then left to uga.
Doubt a kid that highly rated bounces a second time. But given that Kirby went full qb raider and got 2 transfers the situation is obviously different. It’s not like he’s Derrick Hunter or some Sht.
And all this talk that he’s not a fot down here is BS.
He’s only an hr away from Atlanta I think.

my point is QBs who flake out and decommit from 2 schools generally don’t pan out in college. Who was that 5 star QBs that ended up decommitting 2-3 times? ND was one of those schools and he ended up a bust

Advertisement
my point is QBs who flake out and decommit from 2 schools generally don’t pan out in college. Who was that 5 star QBs that ended up decommitting 2-3 times? ND was one of those schools and he ended up a bust
I see what your saying. But the circumstances are different. And given his film and stats, that would be the least of my concerns

It's just a combination of our momentum being late, Lashlee only getting here 6 months ago, there being a limited number of kids we really want, QB's getting locked up earlier than most other positions, and there being no real local QB prospect for us to grab.

We legit have to flip someone which of course has a higher degree of difficulty. Especially when those QB's are usually class leaders who have been out there recruiting for their school.

It's a tough position to be in. I expect a bonafide stud in 2022 for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back