Jake Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Just posted on USC board - Miller Moss also foregoing his senior season and enrolling in January at USC.. Looks like they will go head to head early on for sure.

Advertisement
I might be in the minority here, but I dont think we really have to get a QB this cycle. TVD is gonna redshirt and Miami should be an attractive portal destination for a grad transfer. Seems like CF is going the way of elite 4*/5* QBs and guys that have graduated and then take the last 1 or 2 years to prepare like an NFL QB while taking bs online classes. Miami could try to exploit the later situation if they fail to get an elite guy this cycle. Better to load up on a position of need imo.

I might be in the minority here, but I dont think we really have to get a QB this cycle. TVD is gonna redshirt and Miami should be an attractive portal destination for a grad transfer. Seems like CF is going the way of elite 4*/5* QBs and guys that have graduated and then take the last 1 or 2 years to prepare like an NFL QB while taking bs online classes. Miami could try to exploit the later situation if they fail to get an elite guy this cycle. Better to load up on a position of need imo.

In total agreement. Dont get worrying about a QB when QBs still think we have a Richt/Enos offense. It all changes at the end of the season. Why waste a scholarship on a guy that you might try to push out later if a better QB shows interest. Will be some surprises. I'd take a FCS QB like Trey Lance for a one year rental, wouldn't you?

Advertisement

So the reason you want one is this. We have 5 right now. King, Kosi, Tate, Motcha, TVD. Next year King is gone and if TVD get the starting gig at least one if not both of Kosi and Tate are going to transfer out to play their senior year somewhere. Now your left with 2 QBs on the roster. Only having 2 scholly QBs in a huge red flag and can't happen. You sign one every year, even if its a guy like Sheriffs who is a late signee.

So the reason you want one is this. We have 5 right now. King, Kosi, Tate, Motcha, TVD. Next year King is gone and if TVD get the starting gig at least one if not both of Kosi and Tate are going to transfer out to play their senior year somewhere. Now your left with 2 QBs on the roster. Only having 2 scholly QBs in a huge red flag and can't happen. You sign one every year, even if its a guy like Sheriffs who is a late signee.

I want us to sign a QB too but the portal farm system is also our friend and it will be flush.

Is this kid good? I keep seeing posts about him and thinking of that other kid we loved that went to UGA and transferred

Advertisement
I'm getting tired of waiting either he's in our out, time to focus on Brock vandergrif

Advertisement
TBH I think Garcia is making the 100% right decision. If he's going to enroll early he will compete head to head with the other QB commit for the starting job. If Garcia wins, he could wind up being USC's starting QB for 3-4 years and he can stay home to do it. If it doesn't work and he loses the competition at QB, he can redshirt the year and enter the transfer portal.

In that scenario I still think we can transfer portal in a 3rd QB, even if its gonna be a backup, though I admit that could be a tougher sell. Your concerns are valid, but my opinion is we are still okay if it happens. I'd rather get a slam dunk 4* CB or 5* LB than a reach at QB.

In that scenario I still think we can transfer portal in a 3rd QB, even if its gonna be a backup, though I admit that could be a tougher sell. Your concerns are valid, but my opinion is we are still okay if it happens. I'd rather get a slam dunk 4* CB or 5* LB than a reach at QB.

Good luck convincing a QB (with limited eligibility) to transfer to be a backup. Most QBs that transfer are transferring to start or compete to start. It would need to be a situation where an OC or HC leaves and the new coach runs a different system and brings in some highly rated dude, and the kid sees the writing on the wall. And even then, kid would probably be looking for a school with an easy depth chart to climb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back