Jake Garcia Signs First Multi-year NIL

Advertisement
Huge news for the canes!! Keeps Jake here past TVD’s tenure.
Good for Jake! Great for us! Jake is the heir apparent and a great one at that. Stacking legit QB talent is absolutely crucial to building a championship contender and is not an easy thing to do. The Baga's the Taint's and the Clemson's have done this and we have seen the results. Keep stacking elite QBs and build both lines with elite talent and depth. Not easy to do but we have seen what Mario is capable of with just weeks before NSD. What do you think he is going to do with a full cycle? Keep the big trench kids coming and secure a commit from QB Tyler Aronson and we're cooking with grease.

Huge news for the canes!! Keeps Jake here past TVD’s tenure.
Maybe I'm confused and if so please straighten me. But from my understanding the player,his likeness and what school he attends aren't synonymous with an nil deal. My understanding is the deal can only be between the player and the company. Am I wrong for those that know? Cause I had a certain coach on Ohio state tell me they're being investigated because of a deal like that. Maybe I just misunderstood the actual issue.

Advertisement
Maybe I'm confused and if so please straighten me. But from my understanding the player,his likeness and what school he attends aren't synonymous with an nil deal. My understanding is the deal can only be between the player and the company. Am I wrong for those that know? Cause I had a certain coach on Ohio state tell me they're being investigated because of a deal like that. Maybe I just misunderstood the actual issue.
I believe you can put clauses in the contract to dictate that contract will become null if you leave the program.

I could be wrong but I would hope this would motivate him to stay regardless.

Advertisement
Dude... You're shocker Avi is hilarious! Well done!!

#2inthepink1inthestink

Jake was never leaving. He’s a Cane and he’s going to play quarterback here. He’s smart enough to know that the odds are on his side, that his opportunity will come sooner than later. He also knows that he almost won the job last year, with zero college under his belt. Don’t sleep on the kid. If he gets in a game, he’s never leaving. We have two competent quarterbacks that want to be here and win. The freshman came in knowing that it’s in his best interest to develop his game. This is the perfect situation for him to be a quarterback with athletic abilities that go beyond the pocket.

He was joking because people from this board have mentioned that Jaccuri should be a TE due to his size and athleticism.
That and jacurri is a sub 60 completion guy in HS where as Jake was neck and neck with a guy who is a top 10 preseason heisman candidate

Advertisement
I have personally wondered about multi year NILs because it's my understanding that's what Texas A&M did. As I understand the current regulations the NILs cannot be tied to a school and therefore if a player wants to leave the school I think whoever is giving the NIL is contractually bound to pay the player under the NIL agreement. A clause in the agreement requiring the need to play for a certain school probably is a violation on its face of the regulations and void and I wonder what a court would do regarding enforcement without staying at the school. A slippery slope for sure.
I'd really like some thoughts from someone who knows some thing about contract law. In fact, my guess is anything in the contract tying them to the school is probably a violation of the NCAA regulations

Advertisement
I have personally wondered about multi year NILs because it's my understanding that's what Texas A&M did. As I understand the current regulations the NILs cannot be tied to a school and therefore if a player wants to leave the school I think whoever is giving the NIL is contractually bound to pay the player under the NIL agreement. A clause in the agreement requiring the need to play for a certain school probably is a violation on its face of the regulations and void and I wonder what a court would do regarding enforcement without staying at the school. A slippery slope for sure.
I'd really like some thoughts from someone who knows some thing about contract law. In fact, my guess is anything in the contract tying them to the school is probably a violation of the NCAA regulations
I'm no attorney, but I've dealt with plenty of contracts. It would seem like indicating as a condition of the NIL that one must reside/live in, say, Miami area, would be a pretty simple workaround. Which actually could make sense - if a frozen yogurt shop with locations only in Miami gives a kid an NIL, doesn't do any good to pay him if he's over in TX "promoting" that business.

Perhaps you can get around this by requiring the player to perform certain services in person in Miami (e.g. public appearances etc.). If he transfers, he cannot comply with the terms of the agreement and does not get paid. So you get to the same place indirectly (unless he transfers to FIU or another nearby school).

It’s arguable the NIL deal will soon be perceived as a way to keep players more so than used to recruit them.
That’s why those two signing with Prime Time will be screwed when he bolts for a D1 school. Their contract with Barstool will keep them at that school.

Advertisement
Back