Jake Garcia Signs First Multi-year NIL

Advertisement
Love TVD but Jake is going to be the one to lead us to the playoffs in year 2-3 of the Cristobal era
Yeah but we are going to be much more loaded in 3 years. TVD will have less to work with. Misleading argument.

Most NIL deals are for one year so if a player do decide to leave the said company probably won’t renew the NIL deal

Yeah thats a job at our current players. I think TVD is going to be fine with what he has to work with.
That’s not my nor the previous posters point. He said García will lead us to playoffs in 3-4 years but that’s apples and Oranges. Miami will be loaded in that time. Doesn’t mean García is better than TVD.

Not a job at our current players just the truth.

Advertisement
That’s not my nor the previous posters point. He said García will lead us to playoffs in 3-4 years but that’s apples and Oranges. Miami will be loaded in that time. Doesn’t mean García is better than TVD.

Not a job at our current players just the truth.
"we are going to be much more loaded in 3 years. TVD will have less to work with"

That is insinuating that we will have better players in 3 years...but hey, whatever you say...jab or no jab.

I prefer not to predict the future, and like to see how it plays out.

Many people on here 'predicted' TVD would never start over Garcia, and the kid had barely even seen the practice field at a college level. It is a good problem to have and I hope to see both QB's flourish at UM

"we are going to be much more loaded in 3 years. TVD will have less to work with"

That is insinuating that we will have better players in 3 years...but hey, whatever you say...jab or no jab.

I prefer not to predict the future, and like to see how it plays out.

Many people on here 'predicted' TVD would never start over Garcia, and the kid had barely even seen the practice field at a college level. It is a good problem to have and I hope to see both QB's flourish at UM
Then call it a jab. I don’t give a ****. Miami will be much improved nearly every position in 3 years than it is now.

Maybe I'm confused and if so please straighten me. But from my understanding the player,his likeness and what school he attends aren't synonymous with an nil deal. My understanding is the deal can only be between the player and the company. Am I wrong for those that know? Cause I had a certain coach on Ohio state tell me they're being investigated because of a deal like that. Maybe I just misunderstood the actual issue.
Of course it it a grey area and even more difficult because each state regulates it differently. It is not supposed to be pay for play, but then you have guys tweeting to Caleb Williams he will give him a 1.5 mil NIL deal IF he goes to Western Michigan, did not seem to be an issue there. The multiple year thing does add another wrinkle and from one POV it makes sense, say Rutgers gets some random TF that comes in lights the world on fire, he is a king up in that small community, local mom and pop restaurant give him an NIL deal to show up, sign autographs for 3 years and it generates $ for their business as well as everyone loves the kid. Kid then gets poached by Ohio State and transfers. He obviously cannot fulfill his end of the bargain and come back for appearances, and even if he could his "worth" or "value" in that is likely diminished now that he is no longer a local player and is playing for a rival. So while I do not think you can make the deal "contingent" on the player staying at "x" school, I do think you can throw in enough BS where if the player transfers or leaves and cannot fulfill his end of the bargain you can pull the plug.

Advertisement
Huge news for the canes!! Keeps Jake here past TVD’s tenure.
I for one am very happy. As I have stated many times before I think he's the most talented QB on our roster. He whips the ball like AR 12 IMO. TVD has shown to be a top level talent and shown his skills. Not knocking him, but I hope the new staff gives ever player the chance to "earn" a starting job based on their first hand evaluations.

I for one am very happy. As I have stated many times before I think he's the most talented QB on our roster. He whips the ball like AR 12 IMO. TVD has shown to be a top level talent and shown his skills. Not knocking him, but I hope the new staff gives ever player the chance to "earn" a starting job based on their first hand evaluations.
Agree with you about Jake, but TVD has really impressed. I think both will be NFL starters.

Maybe I'm confused and if so please straighten me. But from my understanding the player,his likeness and what school he attends aren't synonymous with an nil deal. My understanding is the deal can only be between the player and the company. Am I wrong for those that know? Cause I had a certain coach on Ohio state tell me they're being investigated because of a deal like that. Maybe I just misunderstood the actual issue.

That’s my understanding, as well. Hence, Ewers NIL deal is still intact although he transferred. The NIL as it is now, was not supposed to be constructed this way. It was supposed to be designed for a student to be compensated for their name, image, & likeness as a student athlete (ex. video game appearance-in game or cover, autographs, jersey sells, etc) Now, it’s pay for play or sponsorships w/ conditions.

He was joking because people from this board have mentioned that Jaccuri should be a TE due to his size and athleticism.
You know in the Georgia HS championships Ironically Jakes team played Jacurris team. One thing DVD utilizes nicely is his height Jucurri is 6/4 and has a arm and can run. Jake is a nice drop back QB I like him but Jucurri has nice physical attributes in a day when guys are bigger stronger and faster.

Advertisement
I'm no attorney, but I've dealt with plenty of contracts. It would seem like indicating as a condition of the NIL that one must reside/live in, say, Miami area, would be a pretty simple workaround. Which actually could make sense - if a frozen yogurt shop with locations only in Miami gives a kid an NIL, doesn't do any good to pay him if he's over in TX "promoting" that business.
I have personally wondered about multi year NILs because it's my understanding that's what Texas A&M did. As I understand the current regulations the NILs cannot be tied to a school and therefore if a player wants to leave the school I think whoever is giving the NIL is contractually bound to pay the player under the NIL agreement. A clause in the agreement requiring the need to play for a certain school probably is a violation on its face of the regulations and void and I wonder what a court would do regarding enforcement without staying at the school. A slippery slope for sure.
I'd really like some thoughts from someone who knows some thing about contract law. In fact, my guess is anything in the contract tying them to the school is probably a violation of the NCAA regulations
It’s an interesting issue. A company should be able to contract for whatever they want, but since the feckless NCAA is still meddling in things, they will start (as they already have) picking and choosing who they want to enforce against.

aTm all but bragged about NIL deals they worked out that would terminate if a player transferred. If that’s not tying it to the school, who know what the **** is.

The way I would handle if that is deemed a violation is one year renewable contracts.

Could be wrong but NCAA said each school goes by that schools state law on nil. From what I understand different states have different law on nil? All I care about is following Fl law. I have no clue whether Fl law mentions multi year deals or not

Advertisement
That and jacurri is a sub 60 completion guy in HS where as Jake was neck and neck with a guy who is a top 10 preseason heisman candidate
Jacurri is a BEAST and his talents on and off the field can’t be minimized.

Advertisement
Back