Jakai Clark has been moved to starter.

• Thread starter Deleted member 26015
  • Start date
Btw, I am still in favor of Williams getting more snaps in Iveys spot.

But Ivey should at least get the chance to start against Louisville. If he sucks again, bench spot is warm and open.
Last week would have been the time for that. I don't know how comfortable the staff is doing it for Louisville.

Advertisement
I think it comes down to trust over athleticism. As far as I can tell Ivey isn't blowing a lot of coverages because he doesn't understand the defense. He frustrates fans because he doesnt turn his head and possible INTs become receptions, but he is at least where he is supposed to be. The other CBs may be more athletic but Baker would rather deal with the devil he knows.

nah... It's a seniority thing and Baker is trash.

They're afraid they'll lose guys if they sit em, but sometimes you gotta bench someone to change their behavior.

Agreed. Didn't know Traore sucked that bad, and Clark is good so I really don't have a beef with it. My concern is that this standard is not fairly applied. Obviously I don't know the inner workings of the team but I'll be **** if we don't keep seeing the same cast of characters trotted out with no reductions in PT.
Haven't you noticed that at position where we have quality depth there's a regular rotation with the two deep, some say too much. You keep seeing the same cast of characters trotted out there because the replacements are not good or too green.

For those who think the replacements can't be any worse, unless you're at the FSU level, it can always get worse. Since we're still trying to win, there are not many attractive options.

Advertisement
Anything taller than 5'7 is plenty big enough to play an outside Corner spot, Amik Robertson was 5'8 & was complete bulldog playing Field Corner for La Tech. He had 60tcks 16PBU's & 5INT's his Junior year last year & got drafted in the 4th round.

Couch is legit 5'10 with crazy long arms, he's skinny & on the slender side but he's not too small to play Outside.

They don't play the younger Corners because this Defensive staff always defers to upperclassmen, they don't care how good a player is, if he hasn't been in the system for at least 2 years they're not gonna play them unless they have no choice due to injuries.
This....if the system require 2-3 yrs of exp, then the system is trash

The only
Can somebody who knows OL tell me why scaife was so bad? He was one of the better lineman last year.
According to PFF, Scaife had the only two QB pressures of the game, and I think they were both sacks, although the sacks were partly on King and partly on Scaife Scaife didn’t have his usual good game.

It seems Lashlee and Justice value run blocking more in this offense. That’s a good thing. I just hope Clark doesn’t get physically overwhelmed like he did last season. I trust these coaches to make the right decision, so I will watch that closely

Amazed and thrilled to see Campbell play well. I hope his great play at LT continues

How do you know when Ivey gets most of the reps? Maybe they should let Christian Williams get equal reps to see which one looks worse when the ball is coming their way.
Manny went 6-7 last year and he knows his leash is short. these guys go through practices all year. If someone was better than ivey then Ivey would be on the bench. There is absolutely zero motivation for anyone who is the better player to NOT be playing considering the hot seat manny is on. Let's wake up people

Advertisement
I think you got to give Scaife the benefit of the doubt given he was our best OL last year. Could be he's just slow to adapt to the new system. But he didn't give a good look. I was surprised.

As far as Diaz making changes, the defense is entirely his crew, both coaches and players. He won't force a change and his coaches own't force a change until they ***** up and need to. Until then, expect some tweaking of snaps but not too much more. Also, the opt-out rules have to affect decisions to some degree. You don't want a kid to get his head up his *** and quit on the team unless you're certain he's expendable (e.g., Herbert and Hillery). They still need Ivey. What happens if one of the other CBs gets injured? The smarter play is to give Couch more snaps and not make a big deal out of it, or keep it an open competition until late in the season when the 2 freshmen are more reliable.

I really like this new coaching staff on offense, and like their willingness to make changes like this. But remember they have no loyalties yet. They may be just as likely as the defensive coaches to play the upperclassmen once those kids are their recruits and have been playing for them for 2-4 years. It's really hard to tell someone you've been a father figure to for years that they're out and their dreams of the NFL are most likely over.

Can somebody who knows OL tell me why scaife was so bad? He was one of the better lineman last year.

His strength is his feet and his ability to move. He isnt a brute or just a strong guy...guys with good weight and bull rush are a problem for him.

He just looked a bit rusty the other night...Also UAB dl isnt chopped liver they have some acc leel guys on it

I saw Scaife get punished a few times myself....shocked me cuz he was supposed to be a dog...
Que Ed Reed, "I'm hurt dawg," that **** was hard to watch bro. **** happen to him? Now I see why McKinney said he he only saw maybe 1 NFL lineman on the team last year.

The only reason I can imagine is it being a change due to a different gameplan.
56.9 run blocking grade, 81.1 pass blocking grade. This tells you what our game plan vs L’Ville is going to be: hurry up and run the ball.

L’Ville run defense is bad. We want to keep their offense off the field, or at least keep the clock moving as we try to our score them. Wear them down by the 4th quarter then hopefully pop a big play or two.

But I definitely think it is run, run, run until they prove they can stop it.

Advertisement
His strength is his feet and his ability to move. He isnt a brute or just a strong guy...guys with good weight and bull rush are a problem for him.

He just looked a bit rusty the other night...Also UAB dl isnt chopped liver they have some acc leel guys on it

I still think his ideal position based off his play style and weaknesses is as a RT. He handled some speed guys handily, but moving or catching bigger guys trying to go head up with him has always been his downside. Idk how he can function as a guard like that. His body and wingspan screams prototype guard but his play does not.

Advertisement
scafie played sooooooooo bad last week idk how his job is apparently so safe
DJ didn't play poorly. The guy he was matched up with for most of the game is a redshirt senior and an all-conference player. He was challenged. We ran for 340 yards.

We have a very good running attack and a defense that gives up chunk plays. We are playing an explosive offensive team...

...we might and should run the ball 55 times Saturday.

Advertisement
Back