Coaching Jahmile Addae gone

Though I was poking fun at the thread I will say yeah man…not just a dawg but one of the most humble awesome guys I knew back then. He was in the NFL and came back home and we went out with a bunch of friends and they wouldn’t let him in the club because he didn’t have an ID. People were losing their **** like don’t you know who this is?? And he was just super quiet like “no this is my fault I forgot my ID” kinda guy

He lives out in AZ with his family and just doing the quiet life which makes sense with how he always was. Just quiet and humble but a killer on the field. I think he was just too jacked which led to injuries. Like he was quite a bit shorter than me but just a bowling ball of muscle so probably led to his muscles just snapping

First time us guys went to watch him play in college he made a comment that Ricky Williams (Texas tech one) had been talking **** and he was going to make him pay for it. Pretty sure Williams eventually took himself out of the game because Bob destroyed him on every single play.

He and I weren’t super tight but we had a lot of close mutual friends so I would see him a lot and it was really cool to watch
He was one of my favorite players growing up. That's cool.

Advertisement
Wouldn't Kelly's statistics of 33TD and 28 INTS be considered Van Dyke like except, in four years VanDyke was 54 and 28,
Stats can be misleading. For one thing, the game is significantly different now than 40 years ago. For another, if an INT occurs as the last play of the half it's a lot less harmful than and INT during a potential game winning final drive.

He was one of my favorite players growing up. That's cool.
He was a running back in high school and only really got an offer from Iowa because there was a relationship with the coaches

Playing backyard ball a little earlier there would be rules how many times he would be allowed to get the ball 😂 he was so ******* fast

I figured he was since he was likely recruited in 1977/1978. Howard arrived in 1979, but not sure exactly what time of the year. I was a kid and the internet was not accessible to me then
Howard came a week after Saban resigned. He was OC for Shula at the time and saw the change in recruiting momentum Saban had started. IN addition to Kelly, Saban also recruited Lester Williams Jim Burt, and Fred Marion.

Advertisement
I would rank Sam Jankovich fourth. As you said, he brought in Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson.

And I not sure Zo and Bratton were the first "local" national stars to stay home. You may be correct, but where were Eddie Edwards and Ottis Anderson ranked?
It's hard to say. The Parade All American was the only thing available to the public at the time. Lester Williams was the first national recruit I remember. It was considered a big coup back then.

Advertisement
Mark D'Onofrio really brought back the toughness & lunch pale attitude that had been missing. :::heads explode:::

6PfrUt.gif
Tim Reynolds eating in the background.

Wouldn't Kelly's statistics of 33TD and 28 INTS be considered Van Dyke like except, in four years VanDyke was 54 and 28,
The game is a little more pass friendly these days. 55% completions and 33/28 was good enough to be a first rounder in 82. Marino had a career 74/64 ratio and threw more picks than touchdowns as a senior.

Think you’re missing the point. Nobody is arguing they are or were good coaches. Do you really think any of those guys would want to coach in this era of college football with the way recruiting is, NIL, media, etc? Living in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s is partly why we’ve sucked for 20 years, let’s quit trying to recreate those years. Adapt and evolve to current times, which I think Mario is trying to do.

We hire Patterson or Butch after Radio flamed out, we would have at least 2 championships more... nope... butt hurt Prez, AD and Hecht rather pee in their own cereal bowl than hire proven coaches

Advertisement
Advertisement
I would rank Sam Jankovich fourth. As you said, he brought in Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson.

And I not sure Zo and Bratton were the first "local" national stars to stay home. You may be correct, but where were Eddie Edwards and Ottis Anderson ranked?
a reasonable argument for sure

Advertisement
Back