Coaching Jahmile Addae gone

Advertisement
wouldn't be the last time Vinny crapped the sheets

I remember the story about Howard not wanting to burn the redshirts of either Kosar or Vinny so they flipped a coin to see who would be the no.2 qb entering the game at Maryland...little did Vinny know what awaited him...lol.
But I must say the following spring, at their final scrimmage at Miramar HS, they both looked pretty darn good...Howard let them both air it out and at that moment I felt good about our chances. They had Reggie Sutton at WR and he was getting behind our DBs. I also remember pulling for a walk-on RB from Immokalee named Albert Bentley who had an interesting back-story. He later played USFL and the Indy Colts.

Last edited:
I'm close friends with Tony Fitzpatrick, and till this day he's mad af about the bad calls/Non calls in those games. I was at 5 games in 81....the upset of #1 Penn St was one of the most important in UM History. The 79 win in Happy Valley wasn't as big....they were only ranked #20 that game. The 81 Penn St and ND Wins are 2 of my favorites.
The long TD catch-and-run from Kelly to Brodsky is the play that made me a Cane fan.

Advertisement
Yeah, that's a great story on Williams. I had several teammates recruited by UM and they told me about some "infamous" credit card that was available to certain recruits.
I also recalled one of my buddies telling me about Buster Rhymes, a hotly recruited RB from Northwestern HS. He had originally signed state letter of intent with UM but then ultimately signed with Oklahoma. After his signing he was driving a red Cadillac Eldorado, which matched the Sooners' colors. My boy swore he was given the car, Rhymes told media it was a car gifted to him by his uncle. I didn't think much of this until a few years ago I heard interview with OU coach Barry Switzer talking about his success recruiting soFla when he mentioned he had a "friend" in soFla who did a little recruiting for OU and who sold Cadillacs...lol

Buster Rhymes.

Blast from the past. He regretted not coming to UM, because he said he just didn’t know at the time how good they were going to be.

Of course, the Caddy helped smooth over the regrets.

The real reason though? Howard had nailed down Freddie Miles. And everyone knew, even Buster, and everyone STILL knows, that as good a RB as you were or are in South Florida, there was Freddie … and everyone else. All the other guys are fighting for second place. And that’s been true every year since 1979. (And it’s a **** shame we never got to see Freddie the GOAT play for another dozen years after he left high school). He was a HOF’er in waiting at any level. Very sad story.

But in any event, Buster made it to the NFL, as a WR, but faded pretty quickly after 1 season, when he led the league in KO returns. But didn’t do anything otherwise. Played one year in Canada I think.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I stand corrected on my errant reference to 1982 team which was actually 1981. The 1982 season was actually disappointing alot of it due to Jim Kelly being injured and, later, Mark Richt being suspended for off-field stuff (yeah, you read it correctly. Lol), plus the other back-up Kyle Van Der Wende(?)....which resulted in true frosh Vinny Testerverde playing at Maryland and krapping the sheets...lol
Brodsky was the coach at HML during my 10th grade...Anderson later coached at UF and kind of became the gaturds' link to soFla recruiting ( and a very good one at that) and Vagotis had one of the finest seasons of any of UM's ol coaches coaching up a bunch of transfers, and a converted DE to win a national championship in '83.

Finally, I don't believe Charlie Pell was the uf HC when Fred Marion was being recruited. He was still at Clemson with Doug ****ey at uf.

You may be right on Pell. Possibly it was when he was at Clemson when that happened?

Buster Rhymes.

Blast from the past. He regretted not coming to UM, because he said he just didn’t know at the time how good they were going to be.

The real reason though? Howard had nailed down Freddie Miles. And everyone knew, even Buster, and everyone STILL knows, that as good a RB as you were or are in South Florida, there was Freddie … and everyone else. All the other guys are fighting for second place. And that’s been true every year since 1979. (And it’s a **** shame we never got to see Freddie the GOAT play for another dozen years after he left high school). He was a HOF’er in waiting at any level. Very sad story.

But in any event, Buster made it to the NFL, as WR, but faded pretty quickly and without much fanfare
Freddie is the best RB to ever come out of Dade. Saw him play 3 times.

Advertisement
When you look at who Butch coached & recruited on the DL from 84-88 it's staggering, including Jerome for 3 out of 4yrs....(Harold had Jerome as a freshman)

No question on Butch not just at UM but also consider UNC. His work was amazing. On the other hand, Allen spent a good portion of his coaching at UM with not much to work with as far as HC and overall AD leadership (sound familiar?) and UM wasn't exactly recruiting alot of black players up until the mid 1960s before Bellamy broke the barrier. Allen also had players that "quietly" played a few years in the NFL like Willie Lee Broughton and Joe Kohlbrand.

Buster Rhymes.

But in any event, Buster made it to the NFL, as WR, but faded pretty quickly and without much fanfare
The Late Great Joe Brodsky said Freddie was the best RB he ever saw regardless of age...and he coached a plethora of Great RBs, including Emmitt Smith.

The long TD catch-and-run from Kelly to Brodsky is the play that made me a Cane fan.
At the time, I actually liked the TD pass to Mike Rodrigue in the end zone on his knees better.

But then again, I was just a little kid watching the game while standing by the front door hoping the rain would stop so I could go trick-or-treating…

Advertisement
At the time, I actually liked the TD pass to Mike Rodrigue in the end zone on his knees better.

But then again, I was just a little kid watching the game while standing by the front door hoping the rain would stop so I could go trick-or-treating…
Both my kids Graduated from Choctawhatchee HS, same school as Rodrigue.

Advertisement
Back