Jahfari Harvey announcing tommorow

Yo how many posters here getting alot of points for calling this one early? Lol I feel like alot of us saw this coming more and more since January. I though he was gonna pop over the weeknd TBH.

Advertisement
Harvey's a hard eval because on one hand, he looks smooth and runs pretty well for a DE. However, there was literally 1 snap in his Junior video where he had his hand in the dirt. Everything else, he was off the LOS and out in space. Not that he didn't do well with that, it's just hard go gauge how well he'll transition to DE. A good recent comparison is Patrick Joyner, and I think Joyner's ceiling is higher because he seems more explosive. I don't see that explosive nature to Harvey's game, but he can develop physically and bring more of that (hopefully). That being said - I like how smooth and fluid he is. I like how he uses his hands to shed blocks efficiently. He plays pretty under control but still makes plays, which is not a common thing for HS DE's.

Harvey could end up rising up the rankings if they get more film of him playing a true DE spot with his hand on the ground. I personally want to see how he holds up in line against the run. I'm curious about what kind of pass rush moves he's got. I'll be happy to have his verbal, I just want to see more put on film for him as a DE before I get too excited.

Rousseau didn't really have any film of him playing DE either did he? He was more of a physical freak than this kid, but clearly this staff isn't looking for kids who are just true DE's. They are looking for guys who are long, rangy, and super athletic who they can mold into these terrors off the edge or can play in space if necessary.

Advertisement
That’s a good comparison. People didn’t like my response earlier in the thread. I don’t see Garvin or GR in him. He isn’t 6’6 and fluid like those guys. Trent is a better comparison. Trent was a great college player. People get their feelings hurt around here when you don’t think every recruit is the next great Cane in the making.
100% agree with all of this

That's the easiest thing to fix in a recruit. You know how many tackle dummies these schools have? That's the very first thing they change in a player. With the repetition of hitting the dummies over and over again in the spring if he comes early and all summer he should be good to go.

You think it's easy, that's one of the hardest things to get out of a kids mindset. He's been tackling a certain way his entire life and then he's expected to change. Tackling bags and dummies is one thing, but the moment he gets into live action kids tend to revert to old habits. The mental part of tackling is just as important as the physical side. I hope he comes around, but I see a kid that's easily a couple of years away from seriously contributing here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
you didn't call it first. The entire board was notified of a possible commitment. Then you started an entire new thread "predicting" his commitment tmw. but if you are that thirsty for attention.. then props brah! good ****...u da plug... smh

sat·ire
ˈsaˌtī(ə)r/
noun
  1. the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Here is my take:
He has LB skills and athleticism with a DE type body✔️
He reads and plays in space well. He redirects well. Unlike some more prototypical DE’s, he will not be fooled by reverses or other mis-direction type plays, and if he does, he has the ability to redirect, chase and tackle✔️
He disengages well, even in traffic. He doesn’t play “pitty pat” as the point of contact. He sees, he sheds and tackles✔️
The only question for me is will he grow to a more prototypical DE size like 6’4, 6’5 or so.
Even if he doesn’t we have a Trent Harris with more speed and quickness. That reality would me we could have a 10-15 sack guy with 20+ Tackles for loss. Trent had 8.5 coming off the bench (that’s sick) so with his ability that would be possible.
Bottom line, it’s a great pickup.

Advertisement
Is this a joke? I hope so. DJ Johnson ring a bell? That was a bust, therefore your whole post is irrelevant.
It was 2 years ago and the staff had a lot of work to do developing relationships and we had kulo’s Lazy **** who took him without the eyeball test.
I don’t think They ever worked him out and Idk how he did in the camp circuit. He came to paradise but didn’t suit up. I was on board with him too and thought he was the goods. No substitute for having a kid come down suit up and put in work in front of a coach. That’s how Rousseau got his offer as well as Harvey.

If you need extensive film of a long, fast, 6’3 and 220 pound HS junior playing DE in HS before being able to extrapolate his ability to transition into a college DE, then you shouldn’t be coaching at this level. That’s especially true if the HS kid is being coached by a loyal former Cane, who clearly had a role here.

Harvey's a hard eval because on one hand, he looks smooth and runs pretty well for a DE. However, there was literally 1 snap in his Junior video where he had his hand in the dirt. Everything else, he was off the LOS and out in space. Not that he didn't do well with that, it's just hard go gauge how well he'll transition to DE. A good recent comparison is Patrick Joyner, and I think Joyner's ceiling is higher because he seems more explosive. I don't see that explosive nature to Harvey's game, but he can develop physically and bring more of that (hopefully). That being said - I like how smooth and fluid he is. I like how he uses his hands to shed blocks efficiently. He plays pretty under control but still makes plays, which is not a common thing for HS DE's.

Harvey could end up rising up the rankings if they get more film of him playing a true DE spot with his hand on the ground. I personally want to see how he holds up in line against the run. I'm curious about what kind of pass rush moves he's got. I'll be happy to have his verbal, I just want to see more put on film for him as a DE before I get too excited.

reminds me of david reese that signed with UF last year. Same highschool I believe too.

Here is my take:
He has LB skills and athleticism with a DE type body✔️
He reads and plays in space well. He redirects well. Unlike some more prototypical DE’s, he will not be fooled by reverses or other mis-direction type plays, and if he does, he has the ability to redirect, chase and tackle✔️
He disengages well, even in traffic. He doesn’t play “pitty pat” as the point of contact. He sees, he sheds and tackles✔️
The only question for me is will he grow to a more prototypical DE size like 6’4, 6’5 or so.
Even if he doesn’t we have a Trent Harris with more speed and quickness. That reality would me we could have a 10-15 sack guy with 20+ Tackles for loss. Trent had 8.5 coming off the bench (that’s sick) so with his ability that would be possible.
Bottom line, it’s a great pickup.
6'3 is fine at defensive end. Always remember length over height.

Advertisement
Back