Jaelan Phillips

He is eligible to play immediately - ESPN said so. Why can you guys not get that through your head?

Advertisement
In addition to that he should be eligible for a medical redshirt last year anyway and another angle is UCLA discontinuing his music major too which I’m sure is available at Miami’s Frost school of music

Not sure what the significance of your medical redshirt comment is. Interesting about the major - wonder if there’s any precedent to grant a waiver for this

By the way I thought Christmas came only once a year.Diaz the unwanted gift in the beginning that keeps giving us great gifts.wonder what's due next maybe tried gaytor on a platter.
Hill this weekend would do me fine. Then Braun from GT

My fellow cane brother. No reason to get so angry. Why don't we make a deal. If you are right I will give you all the props and admit that I was wrong. If I'm right then maybe you can do the same. Now one thing that must be cleared up is the reason I believe Phillips will be eligible immediately. The redshirt has nothing to do with it and the writer I quoted was mixed up. The reason Phillips will be eligible this year has to do with the fact that he retired due to injury. That completely changes things and is what makes his case different from that of Martell.
I'm not angry, brotha. Just said its the bogeyman that won't die as at least once a week somewhere you hear people say the new redshirt rule allows immediate transfers if played less than 4 games. But my comment wasn't directed at you, i was mind blown that even an ESPN reporter was regurgitating that crap.

Hopefully Jaelen's medical situation will give us an out. We'll see. Either way, pumped to have him!

I'm not angry, brotha. Just said its the bogeyman that won't die as at least once a week somewhere you hear people say the new redshirt rule allows immediate transfers if played less than 4 games. But my comment wasn't directed at you, i was mind blown that even an ESPN reporter was regurgitating that crap.

Hopefully Jaelen's medical situation will give us an out. We'll see. Either way, pumped to have him!
Well said. Agree 100%

Advertisement
19 which is why we didn’t get so many freshman.

i ask because of this previous discussion:

I'd think we'd need to sign at least 2 more guys first in order to max out our initial counters for 2019. We'd also need to refrain from having him visit campus officially, visiting him in cali, or extending him any kind of offer. @cyrez8

It's more than the redshirt. Has to do with the legal technicalities involved because he retired due to injury. Now he still may need a waiver but that waiver will be given as a formality. That is my understanding of the situation currently. I would venture to guess that any lawyer worth a **** could get the kid a waiver even if the NCAA told him that he has to sit. With all that said anything could happen. We're talking about the NCAA here lol. Arbitrary rulings seem to be par for the course with them.
couldn't anyone just pull the medical retirement card prior to playing 4 games and then transfer without restriction? seems like it would be a loophole that many guys would start exploiting.

couldn't anyone just pull the medical retirement card prior to playing 4 games and then transfer without restriction? seems like it would be a loophole that many guys would start exploiting.
Watch a kid bring up depression issue because a coach is too strict so he retires

Yes but that is a seperate issue that the NCAA would have to look into in terms of closing a loophole. Honestly however I really don't think that running that scam would work very well. It would be far more trouble than what it's worth. It would also mean that the players current coaching staff would have to cover for the lie. I just don't see it happening.

Advertisement
Obviously I would love for him to be eligible right away, but I also would be okay if he had to sit out a year. If he really has the medical history that we've heard about, taking one more full year to recover wouldn't be such a terrible thing.

But by all means, feel free to be eligible immediately.

If original teams Drs wouldn’t let him play, but new teams Drs do clear him to play, i gotta think a waiver wouid be likely.

But what do I know

Advertisement
Can’t wait for Jaelan to be eligible, but see that being 2020. When we need him more so with Gavin leaving and possibly Rousseau if he balls out this season, plus Hill as a Senior. That leaves us Harvey and a couple other young guns to carry the torch. Having Phillips in the mix, especially a 5* talent like his, will help us shore up the DL moving forward.

Advertisement
Rousseau is not going anywhere regardless of how good this season goes for him. Guys on the DL don't leave after 1 year of playing CFB.

You can't enter the draft 2 years removed from HS. Evidently some posters on this site are smoking some wild stuff.

BTW Quinnen Williams is the best player in the draft and he's a 1-year starter.

Rousseau is not going anywhere regardless of how good this season goes for him. Guys on the DL don't leave after 1 year of playing CFB.

Agreed, although it will be interesting to see what the XFL does to interrupt that.

You can't enter the draft 2 years removed from HS. Evidently some posters on this site are smoking some wild stuff.

BTW Quinnen Williams is the best player in the draft and he's a 1-year starter.
1 year starter yes, but Rousseau hasn't even played at all yet.

Advertisement
Back