Jaelan Phillips

Advertisement
I’ll double down and say if we had Brock in 2005 we would have won the National title with that team we had.

Larry Coker was one stubborn SOB. Berlin was money when playing from the shotgun and total *** when under center.

The legendary comeback against UFag was thanks to us being down so many points that he had to go to a wide open passing game.

I still remember us losing to Tennessee. Clappy’s stubborn *** keeping Brock under Center all game, after he had brought us back against the Gayturds using the shotgun formation. Brock was always lights out from the shotgun formation, way back to his high-school days. Coker was either blind, deaf, dumb or all of the aforementioned.

From the herald.

Phillips announced in December he was withdrawing from UCLA because of “multiple injuries.” He would normally have to sit out next season, per NCAA transfer rules, and be eligible to play for UM as a redshirt junior in 2020 and redshirt senior in 2021. The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive lineman played in seven games as a freshman in 2017, but only four last season, which means, per recent NCAA rules, the 2018 season can be counted as a redshirt year.

If Phillips is able to get an NCAA medical waiver that would allow him to play in 2019 — his redshirt sophomore season — he would have three remaining seasons of eligibility.

Advertisement
So everyone is stating their opinion, but no one knows if he will play this year. That seems to sum up his eligibility for 2019, correct? Board says can't play, but all papers saying he can. WTF, does anyone know for sure?

Advertisement
Sits a year and will have two left to play. Will take over for Garvin in 2020. Gives hima. Year to get healthy. Perfect fit.
Phillips is eligible immediately.

Per ESPN......
"Phillips will be eligible to play immediately for the Hurricanes in 2019 because his four-game 2018 season will count as a redshirt year, per NCAA rules"

Edit: The writer I quoted above is wrong about the reason that Phillips will be eligible immediately. My understanding of the situation is that Phillips will be eligible immediately because of the fact that he was forced to retire because of injury.

Last edited:
Phillips is eligible immediately.

Per ESPN......
"Phillips will be eligible to play immediately for the Hurricanes in 2019 because his four-game 2018 season will count as a redshirt year, per NCAA rules"
No he’s not I don’t understand what’s so hard to comprehend. Martel played less than 4 games last year guess what he needs a waiver, just because you redshirt doesn’t mean you can just transfer without sitting

Advertisement
No he’s not I don’t understand what’s so hard to comprehend. Martel played less than 4 games last year guess what he needs a waiver, just because you redshirt doesn’t mean you can just transfer without sitting
It's more than the redshirt. Has to do with the legal technicalities involved because he retired due to injury. Now he still may need a waiver but that waiver will be given as a formality. That is my understanding of the situation currently. I would venture to guess that any lawyer worth a **** could get the kid a waiver even if the NCAA told him that he has to sit. With all that said anything could happen. We're talking about the NCAA here lol. Arbitrary rulings seem to be par for the course with them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Martel already red-shirted the year before so he used it up. Last year he was a red-shirt freshman.
True but the redshirt really doesn't have anything to do with the need for a waiver. I only quoted ESPN because they said he would be eligible immediately. The photo guy was right about one thing. The fact that a player redshirts prior to transfer does not clear him from needing a waiver. The Phillips situation is different for the reasons I stated above.

It's the bogeyman that will not die, bro.

It's the bogeyman that will not die, bro.
My fellow cane brother. No reason to get so angry. Why don't we make a deal. If you are right I will give you all the props and admit that I was wrong. If I'm right then maybe you can do the same. Now one thing that must be cleared up is the reason I believe Phillips will be eligible immediately. The redshirt has nothing to do with it and the writer I quoted was mixed up. The reason Phillips will be eligible this year has to do with the fact that he retired due to injury. That completely changes things and is what makes his case different from that of Martell.

Advertisement
Back