Jaelan Phillips transformation pic

Advertisement
Usually not a fan of rapid weight gain, especially with fast twitch guys like Phillips. Lots of extra strain on the body and it tends to bog guys down. Let’s see how this goes.

If he stays healthy and doesn’t get bogged down with weight, he can be our most dangerous pass rusher. Rousseau does a lot of his damage with unreal length. Phillips is crazy fast.

Advertisement
Agent-Smith-Evil-Laugh.gif

Advertisement
Usually not a fan of rapid weight gain, especially with fast twitch guys like Phillips. Lots of extra strain on the body and it tends to bog guys down. Let’s see how this goes.

If he stays healthy and doesn’t get bogged down with weight, he can be our most dangerous pass rusher. Rousseau does a lot of his damage with unreal length. Phillips is crazy fast.
I don't think his weight gain was necessarily all that rapid, he was 250lbs coming out of HS & when he was at UCLA he played at 255lbs, he's currently listed at 258lbs & looks like he's definitely in the 260 range.

I think the difference is he added more muscle mass. He probably lost some weight once he was hurt at UCLA & probably wasn't working out at all until he transferred to Miami. But he's been in the strength program for a full year while rehabbing & has been redefining his body.

I don't think he went from like 220 to 260, I think he went from probably low 240's to 255+ & is now much more stronger, shed some bad fat & just has more muscle.

Looks great. I need all of our DEs to be taught how to drive their inside leg once they get level with the quarterback. That’s a Johnson special. We need to stop getting too far up field.

I expect our DEs to eat against the pass. But we have some work to do when it comes to stopping the run.

Last edited:
I don't think his weight gain was necessarily all that rapid, he was 250lbs coming out of HS & when he was at UCLA he played at 255lbs, he's currently listed at 258lbs & looks like he's definitely in the 260 range.

I think the difference is he added more muscle mass. He probably lost some weight once he was hurt at UCLA & probably wasn't working out at all until he transferred to Miami. But he's been in the strength program for a full year while rehabbing & has been redefining his body.

I don't think he went from like 220 to 260, I think he went from probably low 240's to 255+ & is now much more stronger, shed some bad fat & just has more muscle.

Correct - it’s different with him because he was already at that weight before. Muscle has memory.

Advertisement

He looked very light when he got here. I’d guess he’s put on at least 20 pounds since August 2019. That’s a pretty serious and quick gain, friend. Maybe it’ll work out great, but I’ve seen a lot of guys gain too quickly here to their detriment. Then again, I don’t mind light fast DEs.

Kid is a freak. When healthy at USC he was a stud. Ran into him in the bookstore with his dad last April and my daughter said hey that's Jaelen Philips. Looked like a hoop player, would not have picked him out. Looked like the pic on the left..

Advertisement
He looked very light when he got here. I’d guess he’s put on at least 20 pounds since August 2019. That’s a pretty serious and quick gain, friend. Maybe it’ll work out great, but I’ve seen a lot of guys gain too quickly here to their detriment. Then again, I don’t mind light fast DEs.
I get that. Give or take 15-20 pounds in a year for an ordinary person would be drastic, but for an athlete who was already around that size I don't think it would affect him too much.

At UCLA he was around the same size he is now, his lower body looks stronger than it was back then, but when you watch his UCLA highlights he was already a big 255lbs.

The weight loss came after the injuries & having to sit out at UCLA for such a long time. So in theory, he basically just got back up to the size he was before & added a lil more mass.

He was gaining to get back to his playing weight, though. I think gaining weight back it a little different than putting on weight that your body hadn't handled before.

Rousseau, Phillips & Roche... Three the hard way.

And Harvey fresh as a daisy ready to jump out of his skin for 10ish snaps a game. Gracious.

Sacks are a finicky stat. They definitely don’t tell the whole story about your pass rush, but it’s a pretty good indicator. We actually had the most we’ve had under Manny last season. 46 sacks in 13 games.

46 should be the floor this year with those 4 kids, provided Phillips is fully healthy and plays even close to his athletic potential.

Had 52 as a team in 1989, by the way. Just sayin’.

Advertisement
Back