Jaelan Phillips-5 Star UCLA transfer

Bring in as many gifted pass rushers as possible. They are a precious commodity.

One thing about the Portal is that you get a built-in redshirt. This guy would be 22-years-old and hungry by the time he hits the field in 2020.
Please tell me the staff is in contact D$...

Edit: Just seen Coach Fields is following him. Fields with his west coast ties....I like our chances!

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't know about this one.
Kids with concussion issues are at risk of having to hang it up at any time.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...or-health-reasons-/1pr9h6xkeifrx1fm57yzbii5c7

According to 247Sports , Phillips was a five-star recruit and chose UCLA over Alabama and various other tempting suitors.
Unfortunately, Phillips' short career was riddled with injuries, and he's decided to take a break.

Phillips appeared in six games during his freshman year. According to the Los Angeles Times, an ankle injury and
concussion kept him sidelined for a majority of his first collegiate season. In his sophomore year, he played only four
games, and suffered a second concussion.

The standout pass rusher didn't only sustain injuries on the field. He also underwent offseason wrist surgery after being
hit by a car.

Advertisement
I don't know about this one.
Kids with concussion issues are at risk of having to hang it up at any time.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...or-health-reasons-/1pr9h6xkeifrx1fm57yzbii5c7

If you're going to take a risk, you take a risk on a former 5* EDGE player.

If you look at the 247 list of All-Time prospects...basically, every EDGE player rated that high has made the pros. Even Ronald Powell eventually got drafted and had a cup of coffee in the pros...and he's had a similar college career filled with injuries. Throw in Byron Cowart, too, who will probably be drafted this year after a weird career.

FWIW - Phillips is the 40th highest rated prospect of All-Time according to 247. As long as he's willing to play and his brain isn't completely swiss cheese he's worth the risk.

Advertisement
I would go after him create more competition on the practice field. He would also help being on the scout team this year.

Figured there was some smoke when I looked at his twitter last night. Knows Martell pretty well and follows Brevin. Now is apparently following every coach. Definitely has some smoke to this. Takemhim and Hill. I worry about the concussions big time though.

Also we need to get a west coast pipeline going and getting this kid, Tate, Bubba, and Brevin would be a **** of a start. Obviously recruiting SF is important but the way these kids have turned their backs to go to SEC schools is ridiculous. Seems like the Miami brand means more to OOS kids. Too many street agents/parents/etc. putting negative stuff out about Miami to these local kids.

Advertisement
Wow I'd this is a legitimate option and we get this dude then I would consider our recruiting class the best in the country (including transfer)

Advertisement
Back