Jacurri Brown is Cam Newton

Advertisement
I guess your basing this on spring game?? Both looked alright however they were both playing against a vanilla cover 2 defense....no way to know until they start facing a defense in a different uniform
Yeah mostly off spring game..but you can look at notable EE QBs who performed well in a spring game or 1 year participants and it almost always translates
Jameis
Sam Howell
Tua etc.
Both Tyler and jake look like they belong and the game wasn’t moving too fast for them

Advertisement
I tend to agree with @Gooner#44 though that chances are Brown doesn't see the field as a QB if he doesn't become a better passer. I remember reading that Lamar Jackson didn't crack 50% accuracy until his first year in the NFL (didn't have over 50% in either HS or college), but if I'm not mistaken he was running a 4.3 40 so he could get away with that level of inaccuracy. Pretty sure Brown is in the 4.6 range, which means he isn't going to be able to run away from everyone. He doesn't have to have Jake Garcia accuracy (70%), but if he can crack 58% I think he will be successful.

I stand by my prediction that he'll be over 225 lb+ by 2024 and probably sprouts another inch, so maybe he has a future a TE if he can't win the starting job as a QB. With the NIL rules and playoff expansion, I think Miami is going to get a lot more interest from top QB transfers from other programs so I wouldn't be surprised if the next QB after Garcia/TVD is a highly rated transfer. Given Brown's measurables, I think Lashlee was wise to offer him because if he does pan out, he's the size/strength to be unbelievable (the dummies can laugh all they want, but I believe Lashlee sees that, which is why he offered Brown). There is no hurry start him so Lashlee likely has 3 years to work with him, although I kinda doubt Lashlee is still the OC in 2025.

I tend to agree with @Gooner#44 though that chances are Brown doesn't see the field as a QB if he doesn't become a better passer. I remember reading that Lamar Jackson didn't crack 50% accuracy until his first year in the NFL (didn't have over 50% in either HS or college), but if I'm not mistaken he was running a 4.3 40 so he could get away with that level of inaccuracy. Pretty sure Brown is in the 4.6 range, which means he isn't going to be able to run away from everyone. He doesn't have to have Jake Garcia accuracy (70%), but if he can crack 58% I think he will be successful.

I stand by my prediction that he'll be over 225 lb+ by 2024 and probably sprouts another inch, so maybe he has a future a TE if he can't win the starting job as a QB. With the NIL rules and playoff expansion, I think Miami is going to get a lot more interest from top QB transfers from other programs so I wouldn't be surprised if the next QB after Garcia/TVD is a highly rated transfer. Given Brown's measurables, I think Lashlee was wise to offer him because if he does pan out, he's the size/strength to be unbelievable (the dummies can laugh all they want, but I believe Lashlee sees that, which is why he offered Brown). There is no hurry start him so Lashlee likely has 3 years to work with him, although I kinda doubt Lashlee is still the OC in 2025.
Lamar was over 50% all 3 years in college actually. If Jacurri can get to around 56-60% consistently as a passer, he will be EXTREMELY good as a QB. I don't think he'll get quite as big as Cam but can definitely get to around 230-235lbs with his frame, which with his speed would be very tough to defend.

Spot on, I agree 100% with this. And IF he does turns into Cam Newton, I'm cool with that too. :fistbump:

Advertisement
Lamar was over 50% all 3 years in college actually. If Jacurri can get to around 56-60% consistently as a passer, he will be EXTREMELY good as a QB. I don't think he'll get quite as big as Cam but can definitely get to around 230-235lbs with his frame, which with his speed would be very tough to defend.
Yeah, he was like 56% for his career but was over 50% every year. I think his Sr in HS he was like 55%. That said he is still am inaccurate QB in every level of FB he has played, but his 4.3 speed makes the difference. I still don't see him ever winning a SB as the starting QB though but he was a better pro than I ever expected and where he landed was huge for him.

Kendall Briles is an offensive genius? Before Briles arrival, Houston was #20 in offense in 2016 and #41 in offense in 2017. With Briles as OC in 2018, they were #40. So he didn't really do anything that another OC didn't do. FSU had the #100 offense in 2018 before his arrival, they moved all the way up to #73 in 2019, the dropped back to #86 in 2020.

By comparison, Miami went from #90 in 2019 to #26 under Lashlee in 2020. If Briles is an offensive genius, Lashlees football IQ must be in the 4 digits.
1623701765711.jpeg
1623701669686.jpeg

1623701878566.jpeg

Yeah, he was like 56% for his career but was over 50% every year. I think his Sr in HS he was like 55%. That said he is still am inaccurate QB in every level of FB he has played, but his 4.3 speed makes the difference. I still don't see him ever winning a SB as the starting QB though but he was a better pro than I ever expected and where he landed was huge for him.
I really want to see how Jacurri looks this year in that offense after his coach made comments about becoming more passing friendly. It'll tell us a long about his outlook if they truly do spread it around a bit more and Jacurri still struggles. Someone in here previously posted his receivers had a ton of drops on the year as well and that hurt his % a bit as well. All in all I'm not entirely concerned with him as a passer YET.

Advertisement

General piece of advice:

Whatever Gooner thinks the opposite is probably true.

General piece of advice:

Whatever Gooner thinks the opposite is probably true.
Says the guy who typed "Travis Etienne at Clemson was an over weight, water waisted, goes down on first contact RB" after he left as a NFL 1st Round pick and ACC all time leading rusher, great take kid.

Advertisement
Hey I like aliens awesome franchise

Alien 1 and 2 are good. The rest of them are stinky. Still don't know why it's so hard for them to make a good Alien v Predator movie.

Would have been sweet to have an Alien v. Predator football game though

Alien 1 and 2 are good. The rest of them are stinky. Still don't know why it's so hard for them to make a good Alien v Predator movie.v

For real, two of the baddest alien life-form mofos of all time and they make them crappers. I want a 3 way Predator-Alien-Them dudes from A Quiet Place 3 way movie.

Alien 1 and 2 are good. The rest of them are stinky. Still don't know why it's so hard for them to make a good Alien v Predator movie.

I did like Prometheus and Covenant and alien isolation

This kid has never seen a college weight room. He looks like he has the capacity/build to be an easy 235 pound kid. With that athleticism, worse case-he's Hendon Hooker. If it's a complete-able pass, take it. If not, run.

If our OL can develop the way we hope, even if he never develops as an elite passer, we have the making of a team that can run, consistently get first downs and eat clock. One thing we've seen is that offenses that cannot consistently move the chains put their defense on the field for too long and fall behind, particularly against good offenses. These true dual threat QBs have an innate ability to move the chains and slow down the modern, pass-happy offenses.

(BTW, Lamar was at 54%, 56%, and 59% year by year in college.)

Advertisement
Back