Jacurri Brown gaining steam as '22 QB

He might take somebody spot in the QB room after a redshirt season. Fits the system better than TVD and Garcia... Sign him up!
Now we’ve got some grease to cook with here. Former leaders of the Kosi Hive and the Martel Cartel have come together to support Jacurri Brown.

9A2FD089-142D-49EB-A21C-EC1C21B1B9FD.jpeg

@KrazyCane and @D RevLee ?! This is gonna be the team to watch.

Advertisement
How about NFL MVP and the greatest S. Florida QB of all time. Lamar Jackson. His Junior year he completed 42% of his passes. See his full high school stats below. People said the same exact stuff about him and we see how that turned out.

There are exceptions to every rule, and that's a slam dunk example. BUT the majority of successful quarterbacks in CFB and the NFL are accurate passers, and have always been accurate passers.

I think this kid has a lot of tools. He'll undoubtedly face a lot of doubters because he's got some red flags on his resume, hope he works hard and improves.

3.8% INT% in 2020. I recommend reading my post.

I read it, but missed it the first time through. Usually don't have time to read through five pages of stuff.

Considering most teams would expect the run with those passing numbers, that says one thing to me. He's an even worse passer of the ball than I first thought. That ground game and defenses having to respect his running ability should've opened the pass game up for him.

I imagine it actually did and he was incapable of completing the play and turning the ball over at a fairly high clip isn't positive.

I noticed someone mentioned Lamar Jackson. He's an outlier, far from the norm. I'm all for having a QB who is dangerous with his feet and can also deliver accurate passes even needed. He's not LJ level with his feet. Still, if you don't throw the ball well in high school, the odds are that you're not going to turn it around in college.

This kid would've been a nightmare in that old GT system. Wish him well, would love to get keep diving into that school, but I think he's a stretch.

While this is true, Lashlee's offense seems to runs most efficiently with a guy that is a good to great passer that has ability to make things happen with his feet. Shane Buechele made that offense look **** near unstoppable at times. If Brown can even become a moderate passer, he'd be a great fit in the offense for sure, but if we have the chance at kid that is more polished as a passer but a little less explosive as a runner, that's the direction I'd go personally.

We'll see how Brown develops but the ability to drive the ball down the field is huge for Lashlee's offense. It opens everything else up. We saw the offense stall out at times because we had no deep passing threat (WRs' fault) and defenses we're stacking the box. Buechele seemed like a perfect fit for what Lashlee wants to do.

I would rather have a
There are exceptions to every rule, and that's a slam dunk example. BUT the majority of successful quarterbacks in CFB and the NFL are accurate passers, and have always been accurate passers.

I think this kid has a lot of tools. He'll undoubtedly face a lot of doubters because he's got some red flags on his resume, hope he works hard and improves.
i agree and understand people’s concerns. But to play devils advocate I don’t think anyone on this board can name a better running QB in the country. Add on top of that he’s already 6’4 220. He’s going to be 6’4-6’5 250 pounds running 4.4-4.5. He doesn’t need to throw the ball early in his career to make a serious impact.

I can make a serious argument that Lashley’s best play this year was fake QB power Y seam or HB Wheel. At minimum Brown can come in and run read option, QB power and QB play action plays and hit the wide open man while TVD or Garcia work as the main QB. His physical attributes imo are too good to pass up. Imagine our goal line package with him at QB

The risk in this for me isn’t Brown. It’s more so do we have a future Starting QB in TVD or Garcia. If the answer is yes, you take Brown all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Luckily, We’ll find out this spring.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bring him in, a qb coach worth their **** will work on mechanics and nuances....can't teach that elite athleticism

We'll see how Brown develops but the ability to drive the ball down the field is huge for Lashlee's offense. It opens everything else up. We saw the offense stall out at times because we had no deep passing threat (WRs' fault) and defenses we're stacking the box. Buechele seemed like a perfect fit for what Lashlee wants to do.
To be honest, a good portion of my wanting Braedyn Locke as badly as I do has a great deal to do with the fact that I see some similiarity to Buechele's game in him (think he could be a better passer but still) and think of what he would do in Lashlee's offense.

I would rather have a

i agree and understand people’s concerns. But to play devils advocate I don’t think anyone on this board can name a better running QB in the country. Add on top of that he’s already 6’4 220. He’s going to be 6’4-6’5 250 pounds running 4.4-4.5. He doesn’t need to throw the ball early in his career to make a serious impact.

I can make a serious argument that Lashley’s best play this year was fake QB power Y seam or HB Wheel. At minimum Brown can come in and run read option, QB power and QB play action plays and hit the wide open man while TVD or Garcia work as the main QB. His physical attributes imo are too good to pass up.

The risk in this for me isn’t Brown. It’s more so do we have a future Starting QB in TVD or Garcia. If the answer is yes, you take Brown all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Luckily, We’ll find out this spring.
You're spot on here. Only makes sense to take a project if you've got something already on the roster

Any truth to the rumor that I’m starting that he’s coached by one of the country’s AND Georgia’s most esteemed QB Guru???
98EE6B27-5C9B-4818-96DC-92B652541ED7.jpeg

This could also help explain the poor completion percentage....

Advertisement
While this is true, Lashlee's offense seems to runs most efficiently with a guy that is a good to great passer that has ability to make things happen with his feet. Shane Buechele made that offense look **** near unstoppable at times. If Brown can even become a moderate passer, he'd be a great fit in the offense for sure, but if we have the chance at kid that is more polished as a passer but a little less explosive as a runner, that's the direction I'd go personally.
I hear you. I just know at Auburn when they had a running QB, the offense was **** near unstoppable. I link Lashlee with Malzahn because they are basically the same to me. Everyone talked about what Malzahn did with Chris Todd and how he broke AU passing records, but the reality is that offense was at it's best with Cam Newton and Nick Marshall. The zone read is a HUGE component of the offense. When you have a QB that can run, that opens up the run game, which in turn opens up the QB keeper. Lashlee (and Malzahn) want to run the football first and foremost. Those dives that drive you crazy work better when you have a serious running threat at the QB position. Nick Marshall was a converted CB that in juco had about the same number of interceptions to passing TD's. Same was true for passing TDs when compared to rushing TD's. He came to Auburn and that **** offense was a beast. I can't speak to what the kid did at SMU, but I saw firsthand at Auburn when that type of offense was at its best.

Considering most teams would expect the run with those passing numbers, that says one thing to me. He's an even worse passer of the ball than I first thought. That ground game and defenses having to respect his running ability should've opened the pass game up for him.

You are assuming a lot about the way his competition played him based on the results (i.e., passing and rushing numbers). But, even taking your assumptions as true, in all fairness, it should at the very least say one more thing: he's an even better runner of the ball than you first thought. After all, if teams are loading up to take away this kid's running ability and he's running over, around, and by fools all game, he's potentially got elite running ability for the position.

Overall, I'm more curious about the athletes he has a WR/TE, the offensive scheme at his HS and what he was asked to do, and how he develops as a senior. As it stands, he clearly needs a lot of work to develop accuracy. He is definitely not a polished QB prospect by any means, but there are a lot of raw physical tools to work with. I am no QB scout, but I see a developmental prospect with a high ceiling and a low floor who will need a couple of seasons to mature, but who could eventually be a true playmaker at the QB position because of his size and athleticism. The game has been trending in the direction of these sorts of QBs this kid has the potential to be for a while now.

I would rather have a

I can make a serious argument that Lashley’s best play this year was fake QB power Y seam or HB Wheel. At minimum Brown can come in and run read option, QB power and QB play action plays and hit the wide open man while TVD or Garcia work as the main QB. His physical attributes imo are too good to pass up. Imagine our goal line package with him at QB

I agree 100%. As I mentioned above, you take Brown just as an athlete. He may not end up at QB, but he has AA ability and can translate to other positions if needed.

If we don't have a QB leader in Garcia/TVD, you may have to either rethink Brown or try to take 2, because Brown is not going to be a plug n play QB. But I'd take him no matter what (based on the quick view, and assuming his athletic abilities are what they appear to be).

Advertisement
You are assuming a lot about the way his competition played him based on the results (i.e., passing and rushing numbers). But, even taking your assumptions as true, in all fairness, it should at the very least say one more thing: he's an even better runner of the ball than you first thought. After all, if teams are loading up to take away this kid's running ability and he's running over, around, and by fools all game, he's potentially got elite running ability for the position.

Overall, I'm more curious about the athletes he has a WR/TE, the offensive scheme at his HS and what he was asked to do, and how he develops as a senior. As it stands, he clearly needs a lot of work to develop accuracy. He is definitely not a polished QB prospect by any means, but there are a lot of raw physical tools to work with. I am no QB scout, but I see a developmental prospect with a high ceiling and a low floor who will need a couple of seasons to mature, but who could eventually be a true playmaker at the QB position because of his size and athleticism. The game has been trending in the direction of these sorts of QBs this kid has the potential to be for a while now.
My thinking is he has a high floor (or could), as long as position switch is factored in. This kid's a prototype at TE or WR or even LB or DE, depending on how he grows. He's 6'4" 220 as a HS junior.

I read it, but missed it the first time through. Usually don't have time to read through five pages of stuff.

I imagine it actually did and he was incapable of completing the play and turning the ball over at a fairly high clip isn't positive.

I noticed someone mentioned Lamar Jackson. He's an outlier, far from the norm. I'm all for having a QB who is dangerous with his feet and can also deliver accurate passes even needed. He's not LJ level with his feet. Still, if you don't throw the ball well in high school, the odds are that you're not going to turn it around in college.

This kid would've been a nightmare in that old GT system. Wish him well, would love to get keep diving into that school, but I think he's a stretch.
Context. Where are the easy short throws in his highlights? If you're throwing nothing but downfield stuff your accuracy numbers will suffer. I don't agree with the religious fascination with stats on here. Traits are what come first. You know who had great stats that wowed the porsters on here? Ray Lewis III and N'kosi Perry.

Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in college. At Oklahoma Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield completed 70% of their passes. Guess which of the 4 is actually accurate in the NFL? Completion % is a scheme stat more than anything.

i keep reading in this thread that brown has elite athletic ability but i'm not sure i see it. he's fast for how big he is but he doesn't have a lot of wiggle, i feel like he'd be more of a grind it out kind of runner. some ppl have mentioned lamar jackson and vince young which.... definitely not. he's several levels below that athletically.

dan mullen's interest is intriguing but this kid seems closer to nick fitzgerald -- battering ram who couldn't pass -- than emory jones, who looks smaller, quicker, more athletic to me. mullen made it work w/ nick fitzgerald but it's a very specific kind of offense and ultimately kind of limited.

Advertisement
In this day and age, if you can take this dude and mold him into a good college QB then you don't belong coaching QBs and offense.

Luckily for us I think we have the right guy here to maximize Brown's talents. ****, Lashlee took a ******* cornerback in Nick Marshall and went to a national championship game with him.

Context. Where are the easy short throws in his highlights? If you're throwing nothing but downfield stuff your accuracy numbers will suffer. I don't agree with the religious fascination with stats on here. Traits are what come first. You know who had great stats that wowed the porsters on here? Ray Lewis III and N'kosi Perry.

Josh Allen completed 56% of his passes in college. At Oklahoma Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield completed 70% of their passes. Guess which of the 4 is actually accurate in the NFL? Completion % is a scheme stat more than anything.

You're obviously trying to make every excuse on the book for him for whatever reason.

Where are the short easy throws? Same place they usually are in most QB highlight videos, on the cutting room floor. It's why highlight videos should always be taken with a collosal grain of salt as they eliminate their poor throws.

I don't have a fascination with stats, but I'll use them in conjunction with highlights and if I'm lucky enough to see game film as well. Kids passing stats, I'll just go ahead and say it, they suck. When talking a out a QB, that's the first place you start, with his throwing. I don't expect flawless mechanics and system certainly can affect some things, but his system also gives him an advantage for when he's asked to throw it.

Great with the ball in his hands running it. Lowndes had a very good ground game as well. Teams not only had to account for him, but the running backs as well and he still struggled throwing the ball? If that doesn't raise your eyebrows, I don't know what to tell you. What's the magical number for that, 45%? 40?

Then there's some of the throws that worked out for him in high school that are going to be problematic in college. The very first throw is an interception in college. So I asked what's his INT numbers and you touched on that so here we are.

We're talking high school where you should be the vastly superior talent in comparison to your competition, not college to the NFL. You're really reaching now and everyone is good there.

Murray compares favorably with Allen. Allen has one good year, but his career numbers are well below Murray. He's on par for his career with the other two who have been in the league for one year and three like him. Allen has the best single season mark, but he didn't get there right away.

I do think you're a solid poster, but if you're not concerned about his passing ability, that's fine. I'm done talking about it, he's simply underwhelming as a QB prospect. I want more. Athletically, he's very good, but I want someone who can get yards with their feet (check) but can in turn make sound decisions followed by accurate throws. He's not that, it's concerning and maybe one day he develops into a passer as well. He just isn't that right now and it's okay to acknowledge that.

I hear you. I just know at Auburn when they had a running QB, the offense was **** near unstoppable. I link Lashlee with Malzahn because they are basically the same to me. Everyone talked about what Malzahn did with Chris Todd and how he broke AU passing records, but the reality is that offense was at it's best with Cam Newton and Nick Marshall. The zone read is a HUGE component of the offense. When you have a QB that can run, that opens up the run game, which in turn opens up the QB keeper. Lashlee (and Malzahn) want to run the football first and foremost. Those dives that drive you crazy work better when you have a serious running threat at the QB position. Nick Marshall was a converted CB that in juco had about the same number of interceptions to passing TD's. Same was true for passing TDs when compared to rushing TD's. He came to Auburn and that **** offense was a beast. I can't speak to what the kid did at SMU, but I saw firsthand at Auburn when that type of offense was at its best.
I definitely agree that the offense looked great with Cam and Marshall running it as well. I guess it comes down to personal preference. I prefer to have the QB that can throw us out of trouble if we face stacked boxes and they aren't Kaaya standing back there in terms of mobility. I wouldn't mind taking Brown at this point considering we've gotten TVD and Garcia in the last couple classes as the more traditional passers. Would really like Locke or even Klubnik though for our QB this cycle.

My thinking is he has a high floor (or could), as long as position switch is factored in. This kid's a prototype at TE or WR or even LB or DE, depending on how he grows. He's 6'4" 220 as a HS junior.
That's a fair point. I was looking at him as a QB. Those athletic traits may well translate at another position, but even there he is likely a project and how he grows and develops will be huge.

Advertisement
Back