Jackson moving to fs?

Think the NBA and position-less basketball between the guys we have and the guys coming in(#18) all our back end coverage guys will be interchangeable every db with the exception of Knowles, Finley and Carter(who may end up at lb)

Advertisement
My only question is this. We don't have much depth at corner at all, so with him moving to safety that leaves Bandy, Young, Delaney, and Dean that's hair thin depth, one injury and sheesh. You need at least 6 serviceable corners imo.

I hate to state the obvious but Jackson, Redwine and Jaquan Johnson are the third string and emergency corners.

BKDee did tell us back in the Spring the staff wanted him at Safety all along.

Go rewatch that Toledo game, he was routinely beat against their WR's, he had several blown coverages one of which lead to a TD.

He doesn't have the footwork to play CB, which is why it made no sense for him to be named the starter over Young in the first place.

Tackling was the supposed reason, but Young was a better tackler than MJack last year. Go watch Young in that NC St game, vs Pitt, vs VA & vs Duke he was making good tackles all over the field & this was last year.

The kid had an INT in every **** practice & scrimmage in both Spring Ball & Fall camp.

Also, Dean should've been playing ahead of MJack as well, he's a pure cover corner, I know tackling is important, but not getting beat & making plays on the ball is far more important for a CB.

Glad Diaz isn't too stubborn to realize that there's no need to debilitate your defense & leave us vulnerable in coverage by keeping MJ at CB.

It's odd this obsession with tackling when Jackson is a subpar tackler and the coaches were just raving about Young's tackling the other day. Jackson is a strong guy and will hit you when he can. But he's subpar in space, and that's no good.

Advertisement

Go rewatch that Toledo game, he was routinely beat against their WR's, he had several blown coverages one of which lead to a TD.

He doesn't have the footwork to play CB, which is why it made no sense for him to be named the starter over Young in the first place.

Tackling was the supposed reason, but Young was a better tackler than MJack last year. Go watch Young in that NC St game, vs Pitt, vs VA & vs Duke he was making good tackles all over the field & this was last year.

The kid had an INT in every **** practice & scrimmage in both Spring Ball & Fall camp.

Also, Dean should've been playing ahead of MJack as well, he's a pure cover corner, I know tackling is important, but not getting beat & making plays on the ball is far more important for a CB.

Glad Diaz isn't too stubborn to realize that there's no need to debilitate your defense & leave us vulnerable in coverage by keeping MJ at CB.

It's odd this obsession with tackling when Jackson is a subpar tackler and the coaches were just raving about Young's tackling the other day. Jackson is a strong guy and will hit you when he can. But he's subpar in space, and that's no good.
His problem is lack of athletic ability & like you said in space.

If he's confused & missing assignments, it makes him even slower with his feet than he already naturally is.

With Delaney, you could tell his issues were a lack of physicality & confidence, but once he started jamming guys he played a much better game, night & day difference.

I like the idea. Jackson too slow at CB and I believe he's faster than Jaquan and has better length. Instincts is the question. Putting Dean at CB gives us far better speed at CB to go against big, but average fsu WR's. I also like that Diaz isn't taking an off limits approach to any position and tweeking his secondary to get the best out of the defense.

Jackson can’t tackle in space. How is he gonna be a safety. But I trust Manny so let us see

Well he supposedly earned the starting job from his tackling. Outside of Bethune, he def hasn't looked good tackling. I trust Manny, but I'm more concerned about the fact that were moving pieces instead of going with Dean

Advertisement

If he's confused & missing assignments, it makes him even slower with his feet than he already naturally is.

With Delaney, you could tell his issues were a lack of physicality & confidence, but once he started jamming guys he played a much better game, night & day difference.

If he's bad in space and slow to react, how is a move to safety benefiial? It's a position that demands reacting effectively, taking good angles, timing, etc. If he has none of that, how will he be any good?

If he's bad in space and slow to react, how is a move to safety benefiial? It's a position that demands reacting effectively, taking good angles, timing, etc. If he has none of that, how will he be any good?
He won't be starter, that's how.

Also, his assignments as a Safety won't be to Cover large spaces, it'll be situational coverage when Quan drops down to Nickel & Red is playing Single High.

Basically, he'll be only asked to Cover short area Zones on rotational plays. That's a major upgrade for our Defense from being on an Island by himself as a CB.

Think the NBA and position-less basketball between the guys we have and the guys coming in(#18) all our back end coverage guys will be interchangeable every db with the exception of Knowles, Finley and Carter(who may end up at lb)

I'll take Carter change at LB over w.e they **** they got at LB right now and recruiting. I refuse to watch anymore of Mike Smith or Charles Perry.

He likely won't be good at Safety either. I guess the relevant question is: Is he better than Knowles?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I guess the relevant question is: Is he better than Knowles?

Knowles got hurt during the Toledo game which is why he's missed so many snaps.

From a P5 football standpoint, Knowles got hurt at birth with that 5 flat "speed." We've done a pretty poor job signing speed at Safety for a long *** time. It's continued for Rick's first two classes with the exception of Smith.

I doubt Smith is anywhere near ready for reps in this system though. I've read a few times that Manny's system requires a lot of football intelligence from his Safeties.

Advertisement
I think it's obvious after the duke game that our 4 best corners are young bandy dean and Delaney (who looked much better and I expect to continue to improve)

We need help at safety big time. Worst position on the team.

How the University of Miami is so thin at Safety and RB boggles my ******* mind

Al. Golden.

Al golden knew nothing about bringing in championship athletes to Miami. Team speed was a joke under golden save for the Shannon players that were still on the roster when this clown took over. Richt bring in ultra athletic s Miami is accustomed to seeing Gurvan Hall and Jobe are excellent football players with big athletic ability. Just like Daryl Williams (6-10 high jumper) Bennie Blades (47 400m) Ed Reed (long jump, Big east javelin champ) Sean Taylor (super athletic track athlete, scored 44 td's on offense) etc.

He played 25 snaps at safety in base and 10 as the 6th DB in dime. He only lined up as the deep safety once (with one or two others where he rotated to the middle 3rd on a blitz). He looked better at safety than he did at corner but he definitely took a terrible angle on the 3rd and 19 run that went for 20.

Manny, is that you?

Advertisement
Back