Jabari Ishmael adding size

Yeah if you’re talking about gaining 15 lbs over a year’s worth of training. Anyone who wants to put on mass has to bulk. I mean actual mass, not just getting fit.

Considering his father has been a strength coach at UM for a long time, I’d say he probably knows how to gain mas
No, just no.

Advertisement
Yeah if you’re talking about gaining 15 lbs over a year’s worth of training. Anyone who wants to put on mass has to bulk. I mean actual mass, not just getting fit.

Considering his father has been a strength coach at UM for a long time, I’d say he probably knows how to gain mass.
Because of this, and the evidence from that image suggesting that he hasn't gained good weight, I and others are concerned. The amount of time it will take him to get lean is quite a while, more time than to the start of the season. If, however, the plan is to turn into a 6'4" 280lb 3-tech, he is still underweight. Either way, he looks to be heading into what is effectively a 2nd redshirt year, which isn't the worst thing for a DT, but is terrible for a pass rushing DE.

Definitely not good weigh
You guys draw a lot of conclusions from a picture. Kid has bust his *** training, 4th qtr and Spring. Nothing wrong with his picture. Not every DE has a body of Adonis and that's not the goal of training for positions. You have zero idea how much stronger, faster and powerful he is versus where he was at. No idea how he performing versus OL.

No, those are not very special cases. Many, many kids put on huge amounts of mass without getting fat. If you can't, either your diet isn't right, or your genetics don't allow it. That's exactly what I said.
How long has Ishmael been here? Two years? He gained 40 lbs in two years. Thats a lot of food and a lot of eating if you include the fact that he played football in that time, meaning he burned calories like ****. And we don't even know what he looks like underneath that T SHIRT HE WORE.

If you bulk, you are always gaining fat unless your caloric surplus is fairly minimal, which means it will take longer for you to actually gain mass. A football player doesn't have time for that, so there is always some form of "crash" in a diet, especially in a position where you need some extra weight. He won't stay at 253, he will lose that till summer to about 240.

Also: The statement of yours saying "Many, many kids gain huge amounts of mass without getting fat" is very very likely to be, at the bare minimum, extremely uneducated and misinformed, considering you very likely werent present when these kids you are talking about were within their bulking and cutting cycles and you didn't see them without a shirt on, especially not having fat percentage numbers at hand etc.

Advertisement
How long has Ishmael been here? Two years? He gained 40 lbs in two years. Thats a lot of food and a lot of eating if you include the fact that he played football in that time, meaning he burned calories like ****. And we don't even know what he looks like underneath that T SHIRT HE WORE.

If you bulk, you are always gaining fat unless your caloric surplus is fairly minimal, which means it will take longer for you to actually gain mass. A football player doesn't have time for that, so there is always some form of "crash" in a diet, especially in a position where you need some extra weight. He won't stay at 253, he will lose that till summer to about 240.

Also: The statement of yours saying "Many, many kids gain huge amounts of mass without getting fat" is very very likely to be, at the bare minimum, extremely uneducated and misinformed, considering you very likely werent present when these kids you are talking about were within their bulking and cutting cycles and you didn't see them without a shirt on, especially not having fat percentage numbers at hand etc.
I'm personally an example of a someone who was able to gain a huge amount of mass without putting on much fat. I literally went from 200lbs to 250lbs in about 9 months drinking a gallon of whole milk a day (I'm just over 6'2"). Went from 5% body fat to 10% body fat. That's a massive lean bulk in a short period of time. This sort of thing happens all the time, especially for people who are lean, string beans like Jabari was coming out of high school. However, he's much longer than I am and is easily closer to 20% body fat at 253lbs based on that picture.

Also, he was a true freshman last year. If he had been here for 2 full years and looked the way he does right now, I'd go ahead and say that he's a bust. The fact he's only been here 1 year is the only thing that really helps his situation.

Over 40 posts in about 16 hours debating the weight put on a 3rd string underclassman DE based on 1 photograph in shorts and a t-shirt.

Classic CIS off-season thread.

It's unreal.

Some people don't understand genetics. And some people think it's OK for a 19 year old to take Tren :indecisiveness:

Advertisement
Went from 5% body fat to 10% body fat.
I can already tell this comment is bull**** based on this.

I literally went from 200lbs to 250lbs in about 9 months drinking a gallon of whole milk a day (I'm just over 6'2").
And this.

This sort of thing happens all the time, especially for people who are lean
And this. Noobie gains are a thing, what you described is not.

First and foremost, your body fat numbers are inaccurate. You did not have five percent of body fat weighing 200 lbs at 6'2. Thats just bull**** and if you seriously expect me to believe this, you're full of **** in the first place. Chris Bumstead has won the Mr. Olympia at 9.6%, so just stop it right there.

So you went for the GOMAD method, the old outdated saying that you have to drink a gallons worth of milk to get big. Drinking a gallon full of milk equates to 2331 calories consumed just by drinking milk. Thats without anything else. Anyone who understand a bit about nutrition will immediately throw a flag here. If you add the huge amount of calcium you probably had in there and over the course of nine months, you probably have a problem with your kidneys and should consult a doctor immediately.

This is a medically reviewed article of the method you "used": https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/gomad-diet

It clearly states this method should be used for 2-8 weeks and is especially good for dirty bulking, not lean bulking. Not nine months. This is the conclusion of the article for people who dont want to read it:

"While some of the weight put on as a result of GOMAD will be muscle mass, a significant amount will also be fat. Your body can’t use that many calories all at once, so the leftovers will be stored as fat.
By comparison, a more carefully planned and less extreme diet over a longer period of time can help with a goal of gaining weight, with most of that coming from increased muscle mass.
GOMAD raises the same red flags that starvation diets do: chasing a short-term outcome using unsustainable methods that come with unpleasant side effects. It’s always a better idea to build healthful habits that can last for the long run."

So, after factually going through your comment: You're full of **** and should absolutely reconsider what you post on the internet. If you really weigh 252 lbs at a 6'2 frame with 10% body fat, you should have won about four Mr. Olympias by now and none of the winners drink a gallon of milk a day.

To anyone who has made it to this point: I would genuinely stop reading what this particular poster writes here, because its genuinely full of crap. Its not a personal thing, but the fitness industry is full of people bull****ting achievements and I hate that and false information.

Ishmael is perfectly fine at where he is at with his weight. The picture in question does not reveal much about his training progress, so any comment regarding how fat he appears to be is nonsensical in the first place. Thats it.

Mama Ish just tweeted this. Was 215 on signing day a little over a year ago. He’s up to 253 now. This was always the plan with this kid. Don’t sleep on him. He’s got a lot of athleticism. Just needed the weight. It’s looking like he’s heading nicely in that direction. We all know there is a huge opening right now for burn on the edge. I think this kid can kick the door down. I believe Mario was on him heavy coming out of HS, will be interesting if they got that eval right now that they have their hands on him.

Ummm, that’s not good weight. Looks like a KrispyKreme diet

No one has seen him play, yet people are certain whether or not he’s going to be good based on a picture...

Lol smh, you guys are aggressively premature with these ridiculous hyper-takes.

The same board that screams to the high heavens “tRusT MaRio bRo!” seems to not be trusting that he maybe he has him on a specific weight gain program & that they have a plan for him...

So which is it?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Based on the picture, it looks like he needs to bulk up - that's all. S & C has been lacking in the past but I'm hearing good things now.

I simply just want him to be the DE we all expected him to be when he signed a year ago. A good DE from Miami! Body fat at 5 or not.

LOL @Bender you just wrote a bunch of nonsense for no reason. Of course I know my body fat percentage wasn't 5%. I'm sure it was higher simply based on the inaccuracy of machines used to measure body fat. The machine I use has had me at 3.2% body fat before. I know that to be obviously wrong simply by looking at myself. However, what matters is the trend of the measurement. I started consistently reading out at 5% and ended consistently reading out at 10%. Were the actual numbers more like 8% and 15%, maybe, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that I put on 50lbs of mass with very little body fat added. In the end, I was squatting 405lbs for 3 sets of 5, deadlifting 510lbs for 1 set of 5, standing overhead pressing 225 for 1 set of 5 and bench pressing 315 for 3 sets of 5.

By all means though, continue white knighting. The kid looks fat at 6'5" 253lbs, plain and simple.

Advertisement
No one has seen him play, yet people are certain whether or not he’s going to be good based on a picture...

Lol smh, you guys are aggressively premature with these ridiculous hyper-takes.

The same board that screams to the high heavens “tRusT MaRio bRo!” seems to not be trusting that he maybe he has him on a specific weight gain program & that they have a plan for him...

So which is it?

Weirdos gonna weirdo. So bizarre. I just said he’s put on 40 pounds. Which is literally what we all said he needed to immediately do in order to be considered a possible contributor. But as usual, this board is filled with former bodybuilding competitors. I should’ve known the expertise I was stirring up.

LOL @Bender you just wrote a bunch of nonsense for no reason. Of course I know my body fat percentage wasn't 5%. I'm sure it was higher simply based on the inaccuracy of machines used to measure body fat. The machine I use has had me at 3.2% body fat before. I know that to be obviously wrong simply by looking at myself. However, what matters is the trend of the measurement. I started consistently reading out at 5% and ended consistently reading out at 10%. Were the actual numbers more like 8% and 15%, maybe, but it doesn't really matter. What matters is that I put on 50lbs of mass with very little body fat added. In the end, I was squatting 405lbs for 3 sets of 5, deadlifting 510lbs for 1 set of 5, standing overhead pressing 225 for 1 set of 5 and bench pressing 315 for 3 sets of 5.

By all means though, continue white knighting. The kid looks fat at 6'5" 253lbs, plain and simple.
This entire post is the saddest deflection I have ever seen. You havent put on 50 lbs with little body fat added, I can immediately tell based on the fact that you didnt even know your fat percentage, so that story already goes down the drain. I even doubt the weight is accurate, since nothing of your story seems to be.

Second, there was no nonsense in my post, you passively admitted that what you said is bull**** in regards to your fat percentage. And I dont even know why you post your PRs, that has 0,0 to do with the previous statement you made.

Third, and thats the funniest one for me: Google PLEASE what "white-knighting" actually means. Me calling out bull**** because its false information about health, fitness and nutrition isn't that, dude. Especially when we had someone in here start a fitness thread asking for some advice on his health and fitness.

What The Hell Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

I can already tell this comment is bull**** based on this.

And this.

And this. Noobie gains are a thing, what you described is not.

First and foremost, your body fat numbers are inaccurate. You did not have five percent of body fat weighing 200 lbs at 6'2. Thats just bull**** and if you seriously expect me to believe this, you're full of **** in the first place. Chris Bumstead has won the Mr. Olympia at 9.6%, so just stop it right there.

So you went for the GOMAD method, the old outdated saying that you have to drink a gallons worth of milk to get big. Drinking a gallon full of milk equates to 2331 calories consumed just by drinking milk. Thats without anything else. Anyone who understand a bit about nutrition will immediately throw a flag here. If you add the huge amount of calcium you probably had in there and over the course of nine months, you probably have a problem with your kidneys and should consult a doctor immediately.

This is a medically reviewed article of the method you "used": https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/gomad-diet

It clearly states this method should be used for 2-8 weeks and is especially good for dirty bulking, not lean bulking. Not nine months. This is the conclusion of the article for people who dont want to read it:

"While some of the weight put on as a result of GOMAD will be muscle mass, a significant amount will also be fat. Your body can’t use that many calories all at once, so the leftovers will be stored as fat.
By comparison, a more carefully planned and less extreme diet over a longer period of time can help with a goal of gaining weight, with most of that coming from increased muscle mass.
GOMAD raises the same red flags that starvation diets do: chasing a short-term outcome using unsustainable methods that come with unpleasant side effects. It’s always a better idea to build healthful habits that can last for the long run."

So, after factually going through your comment: You're full of **** and should absolutely reconsider what you post on the internet. If you really weigh 252 lbs at a 6'2 frame with 10% body fat, you should have won about four Mr. Olympias by now and none of the winners drink a gallon of milk a day.

To anyone who has made it to this point: I would genuinely stop reading what this particular poster writes here, because its genuinely full of crap. Its not a personal thing, but the fitness industry is full of people bull****ting achievements and I hate that and false information.

Ishmael is perfectly fine at where he is at with his weight. The picture in question does not reveal much about his training progress, so any comment regarding how fat he appears to be is nonsensical in the first place. Thats it.
End thread. This is it.💯

Advertisement
Back