J.D. Speilman in portal

Is he going to pay his own tuition, or are we only taking 23 in next year's class?
That's what I'm saying. I know we're going all in for 2020 but let's not forget that the 2021 class is LOADED.

On the flip side if the staff feels that this kid can come in and make plays to help us win big in 2020, it can only help with the recruitment of those said "23"ish players we'd be targeting.

Advertisement
Don't be surprised if we get involved here.

How do we got room here? Surely we're not going to steal another counter from next year and only recruit 23 dudes right? That's crazy. If we did this, I'd say Manny is either signaling that he knows something about the rules changing, gambling that they do change, or not caring if he screws the roster in favor of keeping a job... lol.

Last edited:
A
How do we got room here? Surely we're not going to steal another counter from next year and only recruit 23 dudes right? That's crazy. If we did this, I'd say Manny is either signaling that he knows something about the rules changing, gambling that they do change, or not caring if he screws the roster in favor of keeping a job... lol.
Bama does it all the time! You play to win now. Scary money talk

What is his remaining eligibility? But to answer your question, he could pay his own way and it wouldnt be an issue (doubtful) or Manny could know we have a mid year graduate or something and we can get an IC back. I agree taking another IC would not be wise if he is going to have less than 2 years to play, especially with having to depend on a waiver etc.

******** the roster may be the same as fixing the roster. Many of the position rooms need an upperclassman to be a leader. Show the inexperienced players how to be a successful player, teach them how to lead a team. That has been severely missing and is always a staple of a good team, veteran leadership being passed down and perpetuated.

Advertisement
A lot of good points being made here. To me, all things considered, I'd like to rely less on the Portal...in the future. I understand the need, I understand the purpose, but we have GOT to improve development and get to the point where we only have to take a couple of transfers each year.

How are we making room?

I think we have room under 85 scholarships, but not for the 2020-2021 IC class. So, he either pays his own way for a year (seems like the family has the resources to do so) or we "don't recruit him" and pull another blueshirt rabbit out of the hat.

I think we have room under 85 scholarships, but not for the 2020-2021 IC class. So, he either pays his own way for a year (seems like the family has the resources to do so) or we "don't recruit him" and pull another blueshirt rabbit out of the hat.
I understand we are under the 85 limit, but there are limits on numbers for each class and I thought Williams and or Walker were the last spots.

Advertisement
I understand we are under the 85 limit, but there are limits on numbers for each class and I thought Williams and or Walker were the last spots.

Walker got the last 2020-2021 slot.

Once fall camp starts in August, Williams will get the first 2021-2022 slot.

If Spielman pays his own way, he doesn't have to worry about IC slots or 85 scholarships, he can just walk on.

We have a transfer QB and LT to win now, they need a proven weapon at WR. Play for today and let today's success help future recruiting, taking this kid now has a much higher chance of being impactful than saving space for a high school kid that is unproven and may just transfer out when he doesn't get reps. If you are a staff on the hot seat, this is a no brainer, figure out how to get him on board.

If you think for a second Manny Diaz cares about having a full class of 25 in 2021, you might be crazy.

This man won't be around to finish the class out if he doesn't win THIS YEAR. You sacrifice whatever you need to next year and figure it out later, the man needs to win significantly THIS year.

If you can get JD Speilman here, then you get JD Speilman here.

Advertisement
If you think for a second Manny Diaz cares about having a full class of 25 in 2021, you might be crazy.

This man won't be around to finish the class out if he doesn't win THIS YEAR. You sacrifice whatever you need to next year and figure it out later, the man needs to win significantly THIS year.

I don't think Manny cares, nor should he I guess, about how many we get next year. But Regardless of who is coach it means we can only recruit 23 kids this year. It'll just make our below the 85 limit problem worse in the future.

I don't think Manny cares, nor should he I guess, about how many we get next year. But Regardless of who is coach it means we can only recruit 23 kids this year. It'll just make our below the 85 limit problem worse in the future.

If you're studious, it takes care of itself, especially if you win.

Through two seasons, we are firmly established as a real player in the transfer market and not afraid to get in there and bring in an excess of talent.

If we win 10-11 games in 2020, none of us are going to care we are 2 light in 2021 true freshmen.

Advertisement
What's going on with Nebraska? Are they trying to rival VT's mass exodus last year?

New-ish culture with Scott Frost still, lots of guys not buying in—it happens.

The Cornhuskers' program hasn't been the same since they bailed the Big XII for the Big Ten. Lincoln is Big XII country and they are a fish out of water in this new conference.

Real question is how long is Frost give to right the ship, or when does he bail out realizing that Nebraska will never get back to the power house they once were all those years ago.

Even when Pelini was there, lots of stories about how he hated recruiting in the Big Ten and how hard it was to get Big Ten type kids to come to Nebraska for official visits.

Ohio State. Penn State. Michigan. Wisconsin. Minnesota. Michigan State.

Nebraska has no shot in that conference. Ever. Very off-brand move all those years ago.

He's been a guy that's been consistently productive on some crap offenses. Could have a similar impact to KJ last year.

This sums up the situation perfectly. Manure isn’t in position to be building for the future for the guy who replaces him. He’d give up 2 slots in 2021 for a guy who will help him win this year.

Stack chips like...

1591792833984.png

Advertisement
Back