J.D. Speilman in portal

I can agree with that sentiment, it's the truth.

I'm not mad at Manny, I understand why he's doing what he's doing. It sucks that Moise is a casualty, and it would be nice for our fans to realize that we may not be able to sign a full 25 next year.

Maybe those are minor quibbles, but as you correctly point out, we only have so many spots to give.
I have a question & I'm asking because I honestly don't know...

If any players from our team transferred after this season would that open up or replenish any IC's that we might have used for future classes?

Like for instance, if we don't have a full 25 IC's for the 2022 class, would a transfer from players currently on the roster get those IC's back?

Advertisement
I have a question & I'm asking because I honestly don't know...

If any players from our team transferred after this season would that open up or replenish any IC's that we might have used for future classes?

Like for instance, if we don't have a full 25 IC's for the 2022 class, would a transfer from players currently on the roster get those IC's back?

No sir, not under the current IC rules. Which, in all honesty, were written before the rise of the Portal.

A lot of coaches have started to murmur about changing the IC rules, and I suspect that will become a stronger push once we get past Covid-19 and kids begin to go back to school (or choose not to go back to school and transfer closer to home).

I've put ideas out there before, and here's one as it relates to transfers: for every transfer (***in good academic standing and not dismissed for criminal violations, etc.***), you receive one additional IC that you can use FOR AN INCOMING TRANSFER. This rule would guard against pushing out upper class "flops" for incoming freshmen, and it would allow you to replace like-for-like (a transfer-out for a transfer-in).

Think about it this way. The 85 rule is like a "roster size" rule, a transfer out opens up a scholarship, generally.

But the IC rule is a "financial aid" rule, and you only have 25 to give out per year (***subject to a few exceptions we have discussed ad nauseam***).

No sir, not under the current IC rules. Which, in all honesty, were written before the rise of the Portal.

A lot of coaches have started to murmur about changing the IC rules, and I suspect that will become a stronger push once we get past Covid-19 and kids begin to go back to school (or choose not to go back to school and transfer closer to home).

I've put ideas out there before, and here's one as it relates to transfers: for every transfer (***in good academic standing and not dismissed for criminal violations, etc.***), you receive one additional IC that you can use FOR AN INCOMING TRANSFER. This rule would guard against pushing out upper class "flops" for incoming freshmen, and it would allow you to replace like-for-like (a transfer-out for a transfer-in).

Think about it this way. The 85 rule is like a "roster size" rule, a transfer out opens up a scholarship, generally.

But the IC rule is a "financial aid" rule, and you only have 25 to give out per year (***subject to a few exceptions we have discussed ad nauseam***).
Thank you, appreciate you explaining that because I know for you it probably gets super frustrating having to answer these stupid questions over & over again lol.

I was just genuinely curios because I've always wondered how that worked.

Thank you, appreciate you explaining that because I know for you it probably gets super frustrating having to answer these stupid questions over & over again lol.

I was just genuinely curios because I've always wondered how that worked.

Yeah, the first time a kid gets financial aid (and assuming he's not a walk-on who's already been on campus for a year), he has to count as an IC in SOME year. You can count back if you have unused spots. You can count currently. And you can "count forward" if you are a January kid. Or you can "loophole" count forward (blueshirt) if you are an "unrecruited" "walk-on" in the fall.

I wouldn't mind answering legit questions from honest posters, but it gets annoying when certain people repeat the same tired falsehoods over and over again.

Advertisement
Do we have any scholly spots? Thought we used up our 25 for the year? Who knows the deal...

tenor (48).gif

Advertisement
I can agree with that sentiment, it's the truth.

I'm not mad at Manny, I understand why he's doing what he's doing. It sucks that Moise is a casualty, and it would be nice for our fans to realize that we may not be able to sign a full 25 next year.

Maybe those are minor quibbles, but as you correctly point out, we only have so many spots to give.

Sucks Moise is but how many times have we been left at signing day and us being ****ed over

Moise should have had his grades in order, he committed March of 2018

I think he ends up with the gophers. Makes sense with Tyler Johnson graduating and his dad being the GM of the Vikings, PJ Fleck’s record with WR’s etc. That being said I looked up the portal and Nebraska has 19 kids in there currently. Talk about attrition.

Given a very very highly publicized murder by police officers that didn't happen too long ago, if PJ Fleck is able to convince a black player to transfer to Minnesota right now, I will crown him as one of the greatest recruiters of our age.

He's had 170rec 2,546yds & 15TD's in 3 years...

Minnesota kid probably goes home. A duo of Rashod Bateman & Spielman would be dangerous AF in the B1G.

Plus their QB Tanner Morgan had a pheneomal Sophomore season last year.
Isn't the kid from SoFla originally? If not, I know he lived down here for a while when his pops was the Fins GM. Minny is the obvious #1 with finishing HS & his family there, Morgan & Bateman, and their recent success, but we should be in the running if he doesn't wanna be a Gopher...

I think he ends up with the gophers. Makes sense with Tyler Johnson graduating and his dad being the GM of the Vikings, PJ Fleck’s record with WR’s etc. That being said I looked up the portal and Nebraska has 19 kids in there currently. Talk about attrition.

God **** 19? They'll never recover

Advertisement
Isn't the kid from SoFla originally? If not, I know he lived down here for a while when his pops was the Fins GM. Minny is the obvious #1 with finishing HS & his family there, Morgan & Bateman, and their recent success, but we should be in the running if he doesn't wanna be a Gopher...
Born in Chicago, lived here for a little bit while his dad was GM...was a lacrosse star in Minnesota...but was Mr football in Minnesota. Signed up with Mike Riley in Nebraska..not Frost.

Spielman has been with the Vikes since at least 2006 so most of the kids life - and they live over in Eden Prairie which is really 1 of only 2 consistently decent HS football programs up here. They have a few kids playing for MN so he likely has friends on the roster already.

He's a Minnesoa kid but I think was down in South FL for a lil bit with his dad.

But he went to HS at Eden Prairie which is the same school that Benny Sapp III went to after he left STA & moved back up to Minne because his dad used to play for the Vikings for a long time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back