Ivins Update On Staff Changes

252cane

All-ACC
Said the rumors of rumph and patke being gone aren’t true and he has heard diaz isn’t making changes on defense.

Said as of right now no decision on barry and stubbs. But he did say that changes to the offensive staff would be left up to lashlee.

Then ivins threw some names out there that lashlee knows in case he does look to bring in his own guys.

Lashlee is apparently very close to Casey Woods, who served as Auburn’s director of player personnel when Lashlee was there. He just joined Eliah Drinkwitz’s staff at Missouri after spending the past three seasons as tight ends coach, run game coordinator and recruiting coordinator at UAB. I have no idea if he would leave, but there’s a relationship there.

Tim Horton, Dameyune Craig and Troop Taylor are three other guys that Lashlee knows from his days at Auburn. Horton is currently the running backs coach at Vanderbilt. He has a ton of SEC experience and helped develop Kerryon Johnson. Craig is currently the wide receivers coach at Texas A&M. He’s billed as a top recruiter, but wouldn’t be cheap. Taylor is also viewed as a strong recruiter. He’s currently the wide receivers coach at Duke.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We absolutely need an ACE recruiter on offense and defense. I believe Manny’s initial strategy was to build a staff of teachers and technicians with one or two strong recrutiers (Fields and Hickson). Manny probably thought that, if he could develop the talent already on the roster, it would lead to more wins, which in turn leads to better recruiting. However, that didn’t happen and we were left with a staff of guys that couldn’t develop players and couldn’t recruit. In other words, complete ineptitude.

When you look at the product on the field together with the class signed, you can make the case that every single position coach and coordinator with the exception of Hickson and maybe Stroud DESERVES to be fired. Manny has already fired Enos - a no brainer. But, he is unlikely to fire many others.

I’d like to see Manny add an ACE recruiter on offense while keeping Hickson. The likely casualty is Stubbs. The first three names mentioned by LCE in the other thread are great candidates. I also think Manny should fire Barry but the replacement needs to be a technically sound and experienced coach. Strong recruiting skills at OL is a plus but bring me a technician first and foremost.

On Defense, Manny needs to bring in at least one but ideally two ACE recruiters. However, it’s well documented that the D contains Manny’s “boys” so changes are unlikely with the exception of perhaps Rumph. If it were up to me, I’d fire Banda, Rumph and Patke and replace them with a secondary coach, a new DC (make Baker the LBs coach) and a new ST’s coach. Two of those three new hires would be ACE recruiters (e.g., Lockette or Roland Smith).

Manny is obsessed with proving his defense is elite. That’s why he vomits out defensive stats to anyone who listens. He won’t make changes because he truly believes his defense is championship level. His hubris will cost him his job.

Advertisement
When the (hilarious) mythology around our D being elite is all you personally have left then it's not surprising that Diaz won't admit that ANY changes are necessitated. Blame everything on the offense as you try to survive the day and another season.

Advertisement
Said the rumors of rumph and patke being gone aren’t true and he has heard diaz isn’t making changes on defense.

Said as of right now no decision on barry and stubbs. But he did say that changes to the offensive staff would be left up to lashlee.

Then ivins threw some names out there that lashlee knows in case he does look to bring in his own guys.

Lashlee is apparently very close to Casey Woods, who served as Auburn’s director of player personnel when Lashlee was there. He just joined Eliah Drinkwitz’s staff at Missouri after spending the past three seasons as tight ends coach, run game coordinator and recruiting coordinator at UAB. I have no idea if he would leave, but there’s a relationship there.

Tim Horton, Dameyune Craig and Troop Taylor are three other guys that Lashlee knows from his days at Auburn. Horton is currently the running backs coach at Vanderbilt. He has a ton of SEC experience and helped develop Kerryon Johnson. Craig is currently the wide receivers coach at Texas A&M. He’s billed as a top recruiter, but wouldn’t be cheap. Taylor is also viewed as a strong recruiter. He’s currently the wide receivers coach at Duke.
No changes on defense? Stopped reading right there

Fail

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back