Ivins: Now what on CB's

Uhhhh, no.

For this "awful recruiting", the play has not been bad. LBs are worse.

I'm not trying to completely separate recruiting from coaching. But there are other factor$$$$ in play in CB (and WR) recruiting in SoFla. Rumph has been a better position coach than many others on our staff.

That doesn't mean he gets lifetime tenure, and you are seriously overstating the degree to which ANYONE on this board praises and/or defends Rumph.

I'm fine with him being replaced. But he is not Miami's biggest problem.
Bruh; let’s cut the bull chit. Let’s stop acting like Rumph is this CB whisperer. If anything, his units take steps back yr after yr under his tutelage. If Rumph was producing 1st - 3rd CB prospects, then I would give him more leniency. His unit refuse to turn their heads around, and are often trailing. So not only is our CB room a mess, his “coaching” ability is grossly overrated.

I stand by what I said; he gets a pass b/c he’s an alum, same chit was being justified when Kevin Beard was here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bruh; let’s cut the bull chit. Let’s stop acting like Rumph is this CB whisperer. If anything, his units take steps back yr after yr under his tutelage. If Rumph was producing 1st - 3rd CB prospects, then I would give him more leniency. His unit refuse to turn their heads around, and are often trailing. So not only is our CB room a mess, his “coaching” ability is grossly overrated.

I stand by what I said; he gets a pass b/c he’s an alum, same chit was being justified when Kevin Beard was here.

Wrong. I'm not gonna sit here while you exaggerate everything that is said.

Nobody called Rumph the CB Whisperer. That is just an overreaction that his haters invent. He's still a good coach.

And you can't just invent fake stats like "his units take steps back". Our pass defense has been good over many years.

Yes, I know the next line on the Rumph Haters Script is to tell us how "the defensive line is responsible for the good pass defense stats". Save it, we've heard it before.

Nobody called Rumph the CB Whisperer. That is just an overreaction that his haters invent. He's still a good coach.

And you can't just invent fake stats like "his units take steps back". Our pass defense has been good over many years.

Yes, I know the next line on the Rumph Haters Script is to tell us how "the defensive line is responsible for the good pass defense stats". Save it, we've heard it before.
Actually plenty of people here act like his failures at recruiting are ok because he’s some amazing teacher/ guru when he’s not. At one point that was the go to excuse for Rumph “ he’s a great teacher”.

Relly is right , if he wasn’t a former cane people would’ve wanted his head awhile ago.

I tend to stay out of this debate these days , honestly because I can’t believe people still defend the guy. But oh well , I’ll show myself back out.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Actually plenty of people here act like his failures at recruiting are ok because he’s some amazing teacher/ guru when he’s not. At one point that was the go to excuse for Rumph “ he’s a great teacher”.

Relly is right , if he wasn’t a former cane people would’ve wanted his head awhile ago.

I tend to stay out of this debate these days , honestly because I can’t believe people still defend the guy. But oh well , I’ll show myself back out.

I'm not saying he is a GREAT teacher, I'm just saying we have had good pass-defense play WITHOUT a CB room littered with blue chips.

We can debate why that is, but at least some of it is good/decent coaching.

As for "wanted his head a while ago" vs. "giving him a shot", it's very simple, I think some of us wanted to see what he could do once he had more talent (the issue of who lands the talent is separate, at least for purposes of this comparison).

But to characterize that as "people acting like Rumph is da gawd" is just wrong too. Nobody is saying that.

Energy GIF by Garren

I can be positive about a Rumph

They only make excuses for him b/c he’s an alum and has ties to the ‘01 squad, trust me. If he was from Ball St, they would’ve been turned on him.
Respect to Rumph for being a Cane but that dude was playing with the same traits he’s “teaching” during his time playing here. His frame got him drafted at the end of the first. A paycheck is a paycheck, though that paycheck would of been much better as a DC..

That’s just my perception though.

Advertisement
I would love if a reporter asked Manny flat out what the plan is for CB recruiting. The Boston media can be absurd, but for the most part they at least ask the questions fans want answered. Instead we will just get Susan asking about a tackle a player made and how it made them feel.
So true. Our media is more of a cheerleading squad rather than the media.

I was in the middle of posting every CB stats & PFF grades, ACC accomplishments by the year to disprove your point, and then I just stopped b/c it was too easy. U got a computer & u have eyes. I told @RVACane imma stop arguing about chit.

Believe what u want. All I know is that MJ Sr went from a PFF grade as a 1st to 2nd round pick as a Jr, to a 5th-7th round grade after his Sr yr. All I know is that Bandy went from All ACC his Sophomore yr, to a non wiki page as a Jr. All I know is that Dee Delaney went from a 4th round draft grade per PFF coming from The Citadel, to bagging groceries after his transfer. All I know is Jhovante Dean came in as the #2 JUCO DB in the nation to becoming one of the worst prospects we’ve seen at that position.

I’m not going to give Rumph credit for Corn b/c Corn was doing just fine before Rumph. I’ll give Rumph credit for Colbert. Who knows w/ Malek Young b/c his career was cut short. But again, believe what u want.

Last edited:
Respect to Rumph for being a Cane but that dude was playing with the same traits he’s “teaching” during his time playing here. His frame got him drafted at the end of the first. A paycheck is a paycheck, though that paycheck would of been much better as a DC..

That’s just my perception though.
I said the same exact chit.

Advertisement
I'm not saying he is a GREAT teacher, I'm just saying we have had good pass-defense play WITHOUT a CB room littered with blue chips.

We can debate why that is, but at least some of it is good/decent coaching.

As for "wanted his head a while ago" vs. "giving him a shot", it's very simple, I think some of us wanted to see what he could do once he had more talent (the issue of who lands the talent is separate, at least for purposes of this comparison).

But to characterize that as "people acting like Rumph is da gawd" is just wrong too. Nobody is saying that.
Wish I would’ve seen this before responding to you.

There have been very avid defenders of Rumph on here. I didn’t just make that chit up. I could literally call them out by name, but I’m not going to, and u’re not going to see them caking b/c we have 0 CBs committed right now. If I’m not mistaken, @Liberty City El broke down our roster & depth chart before the season, and most were absolutely floored at the lack of depth at CB. Ppl came through literally arguing saying Rumph is pulling in 4 star guys, his recruiting was fine, and praising him for flipping Dunson.

So trust when I said there were some mofos caking up to this dude & bringing a billion & 1 excuses.

Now I’m not saying Rumph is a bad teacher, but his teaching at the position is not elite, nor does it justify him remaining on staff w/ a very poor approach to recruiting. His unit is average.

Naw, my g. I meant I said the same exact chit like earlier this yr in another thread.
Fasho. It was a long time ago but rumph was the only player I was regular infuriated with watching plays. May be a bit of confirmation bias but I never saw it

Advertisement
Fasho. It was a long time ago but rumph was the only player I was regular infuriated with watching plays. May be a bit of confirmation bias but I never saw it
Same here. I think Rumph got a pass to the 1st round b/c NFL scouts were absolutely enamored w/ that team. I would venture to say if u put Rumph w his same skills on that 05 squad, he gets drafted in the 4th or 5th round. JMO

Regardless of what side anyone is on, we need corners. Christian Williams leaving to me made zero sense. We have 5 corners and he would
have seen the field a lot this year and beyond. At the end of the day, we absolutely need a grad transfer and need two more kids.

Can Avante Williams play corner with his athletic ability if he can play next year or he is a straight up safety?

Regardless of what side anyone is on, we need corners. Christian Williams leaving to me made zero sense. We have 5 corners and he would
have seen the field a lot this year and beyond. At the end of the day, we absolutely need a grad transfer and need two more kids.

Can Avante Williams play corner with his athletic ability if he can play next year or he is a straight up safety?

Safety. That isnt his game at all.

Christian Williams had to be something else because dude was prime to play with the razor thin depth

Advertisement
Back