It's Officialy Time: Fund The US1 Billboard UPDATE: $3845 Raised!

Lol. He’s slapped me before. I just go fetal around him and JJax Bro. I created the raft but the idea is all Chise. Only issue is the raft is supposed to be made of balsa wood but this is what they had.
We also need to stack up mongoloids on that balsero-mobile. As of now, the only guy on there is Donny Money who looks astonished as Capt. Androol pilots him toward a shore full of mongrels, who look like Rocky Dennis, with their Cricket Wireless flip phones dialed into cis with unlimited government-assisted broadband .

Advertisement
Blake james is a public figure. You can say whatever you want about him with no recourse.
So I guess my question is what’s the difference between public figures like AD Blake and directory of athletics Strawley and BOT members like Epstein and Bass? Aren’t BOT members public figures too or no?

So a little unofficial update for some of y'all.

Billboard
Billboard companies are being pretty slow in responding given turkey week, but I've successfully given specifics to one who will be emailing me options on the Dadeland - i95 stretch shortly. I told him it was for community outreach haha. The only definite info I got from him on the call is that digital is cheaper, both in terms of monthly price (since it gets cycled with other ads on the same board), and since print costs can be pretty high, like easily 1k apparently. Unfortunately vast majority of that stretch is traditional print boards, and to compound matters printing is usually backed up this time of the season with holiday advertising in full swing. I'll create an official update to the OP and fundraising page when I have more concrete details. Takeaway is that this will be a logistical challenge even with cash in hand. So the more that can be raised the better, as it seems likely the amount will have to be raised if we're forced to go the print route.

Legal
Messaging wise, I've made the decision that while I would absolutely love to, I don't feel comfortable putting up names of the BOT. Simply put, all the members of the BOT are very wealthy and well connected locally. Many of them are attorneys/politicians or have many attorney buddies. There are a category of laws called anti-SLAPP laws which aim to prevent abuse of the civil justice system by way of frivolous lawsuits. Unfortunately Florida's variety of these laws are extremely narrow and only apply where government agencies are involved, not disputes between private persons. The take away here is if I go after any one of them personally, they can easily sue me even if no laws are broken and I would be screwed. Even if it's highly unlikely that they win, they can still tie me up in legal processes and fees for years out of spite if they were so inclined. Unfortunately I'm just not willing to paint that kind of target on my back. The furthest I'm willing to go would be a simple "fire blake james" type of thing.

Actual Messaging
I plan on throwing up a poll of the top few general ideas I've seen so far to narrow it down substantially, either late tonight or early tomorrow in a new thread. My own submission to the poll is the following, the exact details of which can be debated and decided later via another poll if it edges everything else out:

U Should Be Ashamed (or, The U Is Dying)
15 years. 0 ACC titles, one division title, one 10 win season.
UM 24 - 30 FIU (or, can be excluded)
www.fireTheAthleticDepartment.com (or, fireblakejames.com)

I'd argue that it's a simple and attention grabbing message that will embarrass the school. As for the details, I'm genuinely afraid that if Blake James gets fired they'll just promote some other loser from the same failing group in his place, just like they did with Manny. So I want to send the message that they need to just clean house without having a laundry list of names. Flip side is it might lack punch, idk.

If you have a substantially different, but still simple and effective, idea petition me to include it in the voting as an option here over the rest of today.
It lacks punch, friend.

We also need to stack up mongoloids on that balsero-mobile. As of now, the only guy on there is Donny Money who looks astonished as Capt. Androol pilots him toward a shore full of mongrels, who look like Rocky Dennis, with their Cricket Wireless flip phones dialed into cis with unlimited government-assisted broadband .
We have a couple of Mongoloids in the Kill Trolls Dead Thread (KTDT). We had Tate’s Bunghole on Troll watch but I think he was an Androol plant to trick the masses as he has been executed all of a sudden after Androol argued with the evidence.

Advertisement
So a little unofficial update for some of y'all.

Billboard
Billboard companies are being pretty slow in responding given turkey week, but I've successfully given specifics to one who will be emailing me options on the Dadeland - i95 stretch shortly. I told him it was for community outreach haha. The only definite info I got from him on the call is that digital is cheaper, both in terms of monthly price (since it gets cycled with other ads on the same board), and since print costs can be pretty high, like easily 1k apparently. Unfortunately vast majority of that stretch is traditional print boards, and to compound matters printing is usually backed up this time of the season with holiday advertising in full swing. I'll create an official update to the OP and fundraising page when I have more concrete details. Takeaway is that this will be a logistical challenge even with cash in hand. So the more that can be raised the better, as it seems likely the amount will have to be raised if we're forced to go the print route.

Legal
Messaging wise, I've made the decision that while I would absolutely love to, I don't feel comfortable putting up names of the BOT. Simply put, all the members of the BOT are very wealthy and well connected locally. Many of them are attorneys/politicians or have many attorney buddies. There are a category of laws called anti-SLAPP laws which aim to prevent abuse of the civil justice system by way of frivolous lawsuits. Unfortunately Florida's variety of these laws are extremely narrow and only apply where government agencies are involved, not disputes between private persons. The take away here is if I go after any one of them personally, they can easily sue me even if no laws are broken and I would be screwed. Even if it's highly unlikely that they win, they can still tie me up in legal processes and fees for years out of spite if they were so inclined. Unfortunately I'm just not willing to paint that kind of target on my back. The furthest I'm willing to go would be a simple "fire blake james" type of thing.

Actual Messaging
I plan on throwing up a poll of the top few general ideas I've seen so far to narrow it down substantially, either late tonight or early tomorrow in a new thread. My own submission to the poll is the following, the exact details of which can be debated and decided later via another poll if it edges everything else out:

U Should Be Ashamed (or, The U Is Dying)
15 years. 0 ACC titles, one division title, one 10 win season.
UM 24 - 30 FIU (or, can be excluded)
www.fireTheAthleticDepartment.com (or, fireblakejames.com)

I'd argue that it's a simple and attention grabbing message that will embarrass the school. As for the details, I'm genuinely afraid that if Blake James gets fired they'll just promote some other loser from the same failing group in his place, just like they did with Manny. So I want to send the message that they need to just clean house without having a laundry list of names. Flip side is it might lack punch, idk.

If you have a substantially different, but still simple and effective, idea petition me to include it in the voting as an option here over the rest of today.
I like it 305 but the #fire athletic dept lacks punch, it’s gotta have Blake James on there at the very minimum. You can have both of them in the same sentance easily by saying something like “#FireBlakeJames & clean out the Hecht Center.” That way both points are covered. I also like having the FIU score on there to really hit home that this admin is responsible for bringing us to rock bottom.

So I guess my question is what’s the difference between public figures like AD Blake and directory of athletics Strawley and BOT members like Epstein and Bass? Aren’t BOT members public figures too or no?
Depends if they run a public company or sit on a board for a public company yes. Even being on the board of a university would make them so.

If the billboard states facts no issue.

Simply put if the sign focuses on what we want changed it will be fine. But even something like, "Should people be allowed to date others they work with? Ask Blake James." would be fine.

Advertisement
So your telling me if the billboard wrote “pawn the TD rings for a real BOT! #fireBass&Epstein we can be sued for defamation of character? Come on man, any and every judge in America will through that BS case right out the door. It’s called our first amendment right and there is no defamation of character in that statement whats so ever! Yes I meant 1st, I’m a big 2nd amendment guy and always have that on the brain. I edited/changed it. Lol
You can absolutely state opinions like that on a billboard and not be at any risk of paying damages for defamation.

Our billboard organizer is a fine man and has made it clear that he doesn’t want to take on any of the board. He’s scared of being sued even if the suit would be wholly without merit and subject the person who filed the frivolous suit to 57.105 sanctions.

A suggestion would be to turn the actual purchasing of the billboard over to Nick or someone not scared of the Board or to simply let the fine gentleman who started this project to see it through on his terms.

I'm Deloitte alumi. Did my time, paid my dues....and got the **** out. If you stayed until partner I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or offer condolences for all those late hours. You're a better man than I am
I could see you like Ben Affleck in The Accountant.

You can absolutely state opinions like that on a billboard and not be at any risk of paying damages for defamation.

Our billboard organizer is a fine man and has made it clear that he doesn’t want to take on any of the board. He’s scared of being sued even if the suit would be wholly without merit and subject the person who filed the frivolous suit to 57.105 sanctions.

A suggestion would be to turn the actual purchasing of the billboard over to Nick or someone not scared of the Board or to simply let the fine gentleman who started this project to see it through on his terms.

I have complete faith in the legal system to come to the conclusion I've done nothing wrong. I don't have enough faith in it to believe that that correct judgement will be reached expeditiously. And I definitely think some members of the BOT got enough experience with shenanigans to make that time period drag out as much as possible while negating and swallowing the cost to themselves.

However you're completely right. I have no problem at all coordinating with you or anyone who is willing to put their name down for the banner, set all that up, and taking the risk if they think I'm being over cautious. If that's all legit and verified I will gladly pay the bill for them directly and we can include names.

Advertisement
So your telling me if the billboard wrote “pawn the TD rings for a real BOT! #fireBass&Epstein we can be sued for defamation of character? Come on man, any and every judge in America will through that BS case right out the door. It’s called our first amendment right and there is no defamation of character in that statement whats so ever! Yes I meant 1st, I’m a big 2nd amendment guy and always have that on the brain. I edited/changed it. Lol
What I am saying is that:

1) the first amendment free speech 100% does not apply to this. The first amendment applies to public places and entities. If you work at a private business, you have zero free speech protection there. Regardless of this, please stop yelling about first amendment this or first amendment that. 99% of the time the reference is entirely wrong and the person both looks and sounds like he or she has no idea what they are talking about.

2) you are correct that it is frivolous but in America, you can sue in civil court for whatever you want. Doesn’t mean you will win, but someone can initially sue for whatever they want. Do I think they will? No. Would I want to risk it against people with deep pockets, one of whom was CEO of an AmLaw 100 firm? Definitely not.

But please stop with the first amendment nonsense.

How about

"Attention UM Board of Trustees:"

0 ACC/National Championships , 1 ten win season, etc etc....

U don't care so why should we #fireBlakeJames

If we word it like that they won't sue. We're just stating facts and bringing it to their attention. Then we can add like some graphic in the background

Advertisement
I have complete faith in the legal system to come to the conclusion I've done nothing wrong. I don't have enough faith in it to believe that that correct judgement will be reached expeditiously. And I definitely think some members of the BOT got enough experience with shenanigans to make that time period drag out as much as possible while negating and swallowing the cost to themselves.

However you're completely right. I have no problem at all coordinating with you or anyone who is willing to put their name down for the banner, set all that up, and taking the risk if they think I'm being over cautious. If that's all legit and verified I will gladly pay the bill for them directly and we can include names.
I think that could make it work for the guys who insist on including a couple BOT names. You’re a hero for getting this thing rolling. If the majority of donors want BOT mentioned then one of those guys should be the one to put his name to the billboard account.

We have a couple of Mongoloids in the Kill Trolls Dead Thread (KTDT). We had Tate’s Bunghole on Troll watch but I think he was an Androol plant to trick the masses as he has been executed all of a sudden after Androol argued with the evidence.
We got a new one Firstdude. Or should I say Tatesdutyhole or Cane Fatigues or Callme.

What I am saying is that:

1) the first amendment free speech 100% does not apply to this. The first amendment applies to public places and entities. If you work at a private business, you have zero free speech protection there. Regardless of this, please stop yelling about first amendment this or first amendment that. 99% of the time the reference is entirely wrong and the person both looks and sounds like he or she has no idea what they are talking about.

2) you are correct that it is frivolous but in America, you can sue in civil court for whatever you want. Doesn’t mean you will win, but someone can initially sue for whatever they want. Do I think they will? No. Would I want to risk it against people with deep pockets, one of whom was CEO of an AmLaw 100 firm? Definitely not.

But please stop with the first amendment nonsense.
You actually can’t sue for whatever you want. That’s nonsense, friend. In Florida, you need to state a legitimate cause of action or be subject to pay the other party’s attorneys’ fees and costs.

The last thing a CEO of an AmLaw100 firm wants to do is file a frivolous cause of action and get stuck paying fees and costs and subject themselves to the humiliation of public ridicule for that. On top of that, an attorney filing a frivolous cause of action merely to attempt to intimidate someone from exercising free speech on a billboard would open herself up to a nice Bar complaint.

Advertisement
Back