It's May, and in case you haven't heard......

If Duke comes in over 200 lbs, I dont see how he wont beat out the other backs. Crawford will be moved back to defense, and James and Clements combined arent the player Duke is.

Advertisement
If Duke comes in over 200 lbs, I dont see how he wont beat out the other backs. Crawford will be moved back to defense, and James and Clements combined arent the player Duke is.

I don't see Crawford going back to defense. He's gonna be our slot receiver once Duke gets here.

crawford wasnt moved to offense to be geathered

but hes absolutely gonna get reps at RB and depending on how this years WR class shakes out......possibly in the slot as well

but right now we have 4 RBs

there arent that many touches to go around

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
He's a true freshmen LA don't forget that. By the end of the season will he be our best back? Maybe. But to start off the season, I can't see him overtaking James and Clements right away. Give it some time. Like another poster said i'm curious to see how Clements looks. Not the fastest back but he always seems to pick up positive yardage and make plays. Duke will be a complement to begin the season and hopefully if he's special enough he'll start gaining carries as the season progresses

If Duke can get to 200 lbs (good weight) at any time in his college career, that would be phenomenal.

from pics I've seen of him, the kid looks to be 180 MAX

Advertisement
In my opinion this will play out exactly like Oregon's backfield last year. They had LaMichael and Kenjon Barner as the work horse but used De'Anthony Thomas (freshman last yr) exactly how we should use Duke. Give him some carries or split him out in the slot, let him kick return/punt return and thats it. No need to give him more than 10 carries in a game. At some point James or Clements are going to get dinged than let him get some more carries if need be.

Funny someone mentioned Oregon because watching Duke, I couldn't help but think if you gave Chip Kelly this kid what would happen. That's why I think Fisch has to be designing ways to get him the ball. He doesn't need 20 touches or whatever as a freshman.

I think Mike James will come out ready to show what he's got this season, but he's the move the chains guy, and he'll be really good at that. Duke is the take it to the house guy. Fact is, we don't have another RB like him. He does need to learn the pass protecting though. That's always the key to getting PT as a Cane RB.

Advertisement
Funny someone mentioned Oregon because watching Duke, I couldn't help but think if you gave Chip Kelly this kid what would happen. That's why I think Fisch has to be designing ways to get him the ball
nonsense.......designed plays for certain players hardly ever work out......see the "hester package"

early on he will get the ball in various scenarios to see what he does best at the college game level

He doesn't need 20 touches or whatever as a freshman.
no true freshman "needs" anything but to work hard and earn their reps........so even if he "needed" 20.....he isnt getting 20

I think Mike James will come out ready to show what he's got this season, but he's the move the chains guy, and he'll be really good at that
james has been our best all around back since he came on campus.......im hoping he has a big year

Duke is the take it to the house guy
based on what?

Fact is, we don't have another RB like him.
again.....based on what?

He does need to learn the pass protecting though. That's always the key to getting PT as a Cane RB.
when solly was here that was absolutely correct.......but sadly things havent been like that since hes been gone......but id love to it come back to that

Also, some good Flowers blocks in there. Only helps Duke do his stuff when the left side is blown open.

I believe it was my boy JHallCanes who made the statement a while ago that every big duke run comes with a big Flowers block. I believe the term he used was 'beast *******' those poor hs d linemen.

Advertisement
Also, some good Flowers blocks in there. Only helps Duke do his stuff when the left side is blown open.

I believe it was my boy JHallCanes who made the statement a while ago that every big duke run comes with a big Flowers block. I believe the term he used was 'beast *******' those poor hs d linemen.

Lulz. Yes suh.

Duke makes a lot of **** happen on his own but that kid Flowers is a god**** wrecking machine. I love that he was an EE as well.

The "Hester package" consisted of toss right, toss left. Coaches should and do tailor their playbook to the talent they have. Hester is an awful example because a) he was by all accounts dumb as bricks and b) they kept switching his position and he never developed anywhere c) Coker did an awful job of incorporating him into the offense

Kid is a special talent, he's going to be a big part of the offense by week 3 mark it down.

Advertisement
Back