"It's because they win and attract them....."

FullyERicht

Thunderdome
The head in the sand crowd loves to throw this nonsense excuse as to how the SEC cleans up on certain positions. But these type of thinkers clearly don't understand statistics.

A quick search on Rivals reveals that over the past 5 years, 50% of the top 10 ranked DTs in the nation go to either SEC schools or FSU (more on why FSU is included later).

And yet pro style QB's, a critical position that in itself can transform a team, have a less than 25% rate of heading to the SEC or FSU.

If the SEC is simply landing all these DTs b/c of their success, why are they not displaying the same rate of success with pro style QBs???? These teams in fact adopt offensive systems specifically built bc of their inability to recruit this type of QB.

Let's go back to FSU: they have cleaned up on the DL for years. And yet they cannot recruit OL or a legit pro style QB for ****.

And here's why: bc when recruiter X isn't going to walk into the middle class home of the Olsen's and offer them cash for their son. But that single parent food stamp mom whose son is a mean DT is EASILY bought.

It's a testament to our HC that he understands this game, and as such has absolutely cleaned up at QB and OL recruiting (two positions that most often come from higher education/income families). It also explains why we have had such tremendous difficulty in landing DTs.

Advertisement
50.gif

The head in the sand crowd loves to throw this nonsense excuse as to how the SEC cleans up on certain positions. But these type of thinkers clearly don't understand statistics.

A quick search on Rivals reveals that over the past 5 years, 50% of the top 10 ranked DTs in the nation go to either SEC schools or FSU (more on why FSU is included later).

And yet pro style QB's, a critical position that in itself can transform a team, have a less than 25% rate of heading to the SEC or FSU.

If the SEC is simply landing all these DTs b/c of their success, why are they not displaying the same rate of success with pro style QBs???? These teams in fact adopt offensive systems specifically built bc of their inability to recruit this type of QB.

Let's go back to FSU: they have cleaned up on the DL for years. And yet they cannot recruit OL or a legit pro style QB for ****.

And here's why: bc when recruiter X isn't going to walk into the middle class home of the Olsen's and offer them cash for their son. But that single parent food stamp mom whose son is a mean DT is EASILY bought.

It's a testament to our HC that he understands this game, and as such has absolutely cleaned up at QB and OL recruiting (two positions that most often come from higher education/income families). It also explains why we have had such tremendous difficulty in landing DTs.

orrrrr it could be that most of the top teams in the SEC besides Bama doesn't run a pro style offense (and Bama has no problem attracting top QB's). LSU ran a multiple offense the last few years, tex am enough said, Florida just switched to a more pro style offense and Driskel was #1 DT QB his year and they have will grier who is a top 5 DT QB. Georgia runs a pro style and gets high ranked Qb's as well. south carolina runs a spread as well. you also fail to mention that the SEC gets plenty of top Dual threat Qb's. you are kidding yourself if you think that the SEC profile and winning 7 consecutive championships doesn't make an impression on kids. Is it the only factor? no but if u have two schools that are pretty even playing in the SEC vs another conference can push them over the top. its not about the SEC its about winning and they win championships

orrrrr it could be that most of the top teams in the SEC besides Bama doesn't run a pro style offense (and Bama has no problem attracting top QB's). LSU ran a multiple offense the last few years, tex am enough said, Florida just switched to a more pro style offense and Driskel was #1 DT QB his year and they have will grier who is a top 5 DT QB. Georgia runs a pro style and gets high ranked Qb's as well. south carolina runs a spread as well. you also fail to mention that the SEC gets plenty of top Dual threat Qb's. you are kidding yourself if you think that the SEC profile and winning 7 consecutive championships doesn't make an impression on kids. Is it the only factor? no but if u have two schools that are pretty even playing in the SEC vs another conference can push them over the top. its not about the SEC its about winning and they win championships

With the exception of MSU, there are no more option offenses in the SEC. If the recruiting of DTs is simply b/c they have been winning, why wouldn't this apply to the EVEN MORE IMPORTANT POSITION???

You cannot buy a middle class kid from NJ. But a dirt poor kid whose mother is on food stamps? It's easy. I'm sure Fadol Brown chose Ole Miss today bc of their rich traditi---- no it's bc of their recent win--- no it's bc of their academic reputa--- no it's bc of their progressive attitude towards african amber--- no it's bc Hugh Freese is a lege---- no it's bc of all the Ole Miss players in the NF----

It is beyond easy to buy kids, and the lower income athlete is an easy target.

Advertisement
Lulz at this thread. Not a single person said the SEC doesn't throw money around. But the ***gotry of putting dollar signs (for every single kid) or believing he got paid cause he didnt choose the canes is what we were talking about.

But keep coming up with fantastical theories if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:

With the exception of MSU, there are no more option offenses in the SEC. If the recruiting of DTs is simply b/c they have been winning, why wouldn't this apply to the EVEN MORE IMPORTANT POSITION???

You cannot buy a middle class kid from NJ. But a dirt poor kid whose mother is on food stamps? It's easy. I'm sure Fadol Brown chose Ole Miss today bc of their rich traditi---- no it's bc of their recent win--- no it's bc of their academic reputa--- no it's bc of their progressive attitude towards african amber--- no it's bc Hugh Freese is a lege---- no it's bc of all the Ole Miss players in the NF----

are you kidding me Arron Murray, Ryan Mallet, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Mcelroy, Driskel,Mettenberger, Tannehill, Jamarcus Russell you got a mix of first round draft picks Heisman winners and top 10 HS prospects

The SEC is unique, since alumni and other interested fans have been fading money, jobs, and even housing to families of recruits for fifty plus years.

Our dumbasses gave players direct incentive - thus the crap we've been through.

Which tells me that the SEC boosters are a **** of a lot smarter than our midgets.

****, there are no middle class DTs? Lol. And middle class kids are bought and paid for as we'll (see Cam Newton)...but I digress. Al needs to jump in the game. The SEC is allowed to run roughshod when it comes to certain positions (DT, CB, and a select few Wrs).

Advertisement
Good post. Logic is a good thing, also SEC defenses are all attacking and physical schemes.

I'm not sure about smarter, they give a bunch to the bama players and it's right in the open for everyone to see in many cases. I guess it's alright for fans to give things to players? NCAA see's what we see, they just turn a blind eye. Kids in college with parents with low incomes can't afford 50k cars with 10k in wheels, or can they? lol Even has the shop in the pics where the kids get them. Not one doubt that the SEC is the most corrupt conf.

The SEC is unique, since alumni and other interested fans have been fading money, jobs, and even housing to families of recruits for fifty plus years.

Our dumbasses gave players direct incentive - thus the crap we've been through.

Which tells me that the SEC boosters are a **** of a lot smarter than our midgets.

Last edited:
I can only assume the OP watches very little football. The last SEC QB to be highly regarded/drafted in the NFL? Aside from Newton? I'm sincerely asking. The entire conference, spread/option completely aside, is predicated upon ball control and line control. Arkansas was the line exception, and just hired a coach who will move them back to the herd. QBs are not consistently featured successfully in the SEC compared with defensive tackles.

Advertisement
I can only assume the OP watches very little football. The last SEC QB to be highly regarded/drafted in the NFL? Aside from Newton? I'm sincerely asking. The entire conference, spread/option completely aside, is predicated upon ball control and line control. Arkansas was the line exception, and just hired a coach who will move them back to the herd. QBs are not consistently featured successfully in the SEC compared with defensive tackles.

You're kinda making his point.

I thought about this in February, but chose not to post anything about it, because the "you're whining" and the "wambulance" comments would have over run the thread.

It's a legitimate discussion founded on solid reasoning.

You're kinda making his point.

I thought about this in February, but chose not to post anything about it, because the "you're whining" and the "wambulance" comments would have over run the thread.

It's a legitimate discussion founded on solid reasoning.

His reasoning was that they offer duffel bags. My reasoning was that they feature one type of player and not the other. How is his argument made by my argument when they are completely different? Similarly, you can look at our defensive scheme and say that it doesn't feature your traditional, heavy hitter, big-name defensive tackle. By contrast Miami's quarterback/offensive style features and elevates players at that position. Same with the offense of line. Miami set gets players noticed, and shows their versatility in pass pro and run blocking.

Neither of these concepts requires duffel bags. And that's not questioning whether or not duffel bags are used.

are you kidding me Arron Murray, Ryan Mallet, Cam Newton, Tim Tebow, Johnny Manziel, Mcelroy, Driskel,Mettenberger, Tannehill, Jamarcus Russell you got a mix of first round draft picks Heisman winners and top 10 HS prospects

Tebow is a dual threat
Manziel was a dual threat and not highly recruited
McElroy wasn't a big time recruit at all
Cam got paid
Tannehill was a wide receiver
Ryan Mallet was a transfer and went to Bobby Petrino the QB guru
Driskel was a dual threat
Mettenberger was a JUCO transfer

Jamarcus Russell is probably the only guy who was a legitimate, big time, Pro-Style QB coming out of high school, not to mention that those are spread out over a number of years.

You didn't prove anything by listing those names

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would like to put forward that I've entirely missed the point. That is a legitimate possibility. But as I've seen it and understood it I don't agree with the OP.

Some people might not like what this poster says sometimes but this is spot on and really happens alot..

do u not watch football? there are many many versions of the spread, who cares if its the option or not? LSU ran a lot of option run recently Jordan jefferson ring a bell? florida was a spread offense until very recently as well. tex am runs a spread offense, south carolina runs a spread offense. ole miss, miss st, missouri run spread offenses. **** even Vanderbilt runs a multiple offense with some spread aspects. the only top teams in the SEC that dont run a version of the spread is Bama and Georgia who as I noted attract high quality pro style qb's. also once again who cares if the qb is pro style or dual threat if they are highly ranked qb then its a highly ranked qb. Bama has the #2 PP for 2014, signed the #3 PP in 2013, philip sims was the #1 QB when he committed. Georgia has the #6 DT QB for 2014, the #7 PP QB in 2013, the #5 QB in 2011. others mention manziel wasn't a high recruit which is true but they also signed matt davis who was a top 10 qb and has a top 10 qb committed for 2014. they also signed a top 10 qb for 2013 but I believe he recently decided to play pro baseball. once again does that mean the SEC is un beatable or that they get all the recruits, no. but you are kidding yourself if u dont think the way the SEC is hyped and their results on the field aren't going to matter to most kids

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back