It's almost impossible to find...

Really? You can't be serious? How about let's simply start with the HC who just ran circles around Mario and this staff in Mike Elko.

There are NUMEROUS FBS programs who were losing programs last season, who look INFINITELY better this year and have been turned around by 1st year HC's. Stop with this non-sense already.

Duke: 5-3
LSU: 6-2
Southern Cal: 6-1
TCU: 7-0
Washington: 6-2

Duke: 3-9
LSU: 6-7
Southern Cal: 4-8
TCU: 5-7
Washington: 4-8

But the Pac12 sucks, right? How can you include them?

Advertisement
Really? You can't be serious? How about let's simply start with the HC who just ran circles around Mario and this staff in Mike Elko.

There are NUMEROUS FBS programs who were losing programs last season, who look INFINITELY better this year and have been turned around by 1st year HC's. Stop with this non-sense already.

Duke: 5-3
LSU: 6-2
Southern Cal: 6-1
TCU: 7-0
Washington: 6-2

Duke: 3-9
LSU: 6-7
Southern Cal: 4-8
TCU: 5-7
Washington: 4-8

There are also numerous FBS programs who were decent last year who look worse. Not every situation is the same. I'm not saying any of the guys on the list you showed are good coaches, just like I'm not saying guys like Mario, Venables, Napier, and Freeman aren't. You gotta give these dudes at least 2 seasons to prove who they are and who they aren't. We all thought Larry Coker was a great coach in the summer of 2003, didn't we?

The clown show has arrived. Show me how good USC and Washington were when Mario was at Oregon. Oh wait, you can't.

And as usual, you can't stick to the topic at hand.

USC lost to the only good team on their schedule.
Washington lost to Arizona State.

Neither team is very good. They've just played an Ole Miss schedule.

Advertisement
There are also numerous FBS programs who were decent last year who look worse. Not every situation is the same. I'm not saying any of the guys on the list you showed are good coaches, just like I'm not saying guys like Mario, Venables, Napier, and Freeman aren't. You gotta give these dudes at least 2 seasons to prove who they are and who they aren't. We all thought Larry Coker was a great coach in the summer of 2003, didn't we?

That was not the argument. The poster SPECIFICALLY stated you can't take a losing program, implememt a new staff, and turn it around year 1. I gave 5 examples. And it happens yearly. It was a horrible arguement.

That was not the argument. The poster SPECIFICALLY stated you can't take a losing program, implememt a new staff, and turn it around year 1. I gave 5 examples. And it happens yearly. It was a horrible arguement.

Yeah, that's silly. It happens both ways all the time. But how are you sustaining any early success, or how are you improving any early failures is the question.

Mario wasn't hired to be the coach here this year. He was hired to be the coach for the next 10 years, and hopefully beyond, for those involved.

Advertisement
Has Cheney ever really played? I don’t see the hype w him. He’s never been there long enough to even show his hs talent. Sorry. He’s just another guy

Knighton's a career 3.9 ypc. Take away his fumbles & just on production alone he's almost unplayable. Do you think Chaney wouldn't be better than that?

I get not buying into the hype around Chaney, and I agree with you, but if he were just average it would be a big step up.

In therms of just explosive plays - here's what they've done in the last 3 years:

10 30+ yd runs on 276 carries
Cam
- 197 att - 8 30+ yd runs
Chaney - 79 att - 2 30+ yd runs

2 30+ yd runs on 490 carries
Knighton
- 240 att - 1 30+ yd run
Parrish - 250 att - 1 30+ yd run

Back to my original statement - explosive run plays have disappeared since Cam & Chaney got hurt.

Strength and conditioning is the most concerning aspect to me. Our OL getting bullied weekly and players running out of gas late. Speaks to the lack of self-discipline the players have

Trent Harris I think you mean. Also Mark Walton and Kaaya. I'll give Shaq to Richt...he was able to keep him committed even tho I doubt Shaq would go anywhere else.

Walton's career numbers are almost exactly the same as Knighton's - except for Walton's 3 lost fumbles vs Knighton's 6. Which is to say, very bad.

Richt got saved from himself when Walton got hurt. Those carries went to Homer & Dallas instead of force feeding Walton.

1666636234815.png

Knighton's a career 3.9 ypc. Take away his fumbles & just on production alone he's almost unplayable. Do you think Chaney wouldn't be better than that?

I get not buying into the hype around Chaney, and I agree with you, but if he were just average it would be a big step up.

In therms of just explosive plays - here's what they've done in the last 3 years:

10 30+ yd runs on 276 carries
Cam
- 197 att - 8 30+ yd runs
Chaney - 79 att - 2 30+ yd runs

2 30+ yd runs on 490 carries
Knighton
- 240 att - 1 30+ yd run
Parrish - 250 att - 1 30+ yd run

Back to my original statement - explosive run plays have disappeared since Cam & Chaney got hurt.
Idk has chaney ever really played? He’s a figment of my imagination

Advertisement
Walton's career numbers are almost exactly the same as Knighton's - except for Walton's 3 lost fumbles vs Knighton's 6. Which is to say, very bad.

Richt got saved from himself when Walton got hurt. Those carries went to Homer & Dallas instead of force feeding Walton.

View attachment 212237
Walton was off to a good start in 2017 but that was against Bethune, Toledo, and Duke. He could have ran for 400 against Toledo if he didn't miss a good portion of the game.

Advertisement
The truth is the team was showing improvement last season, year 3. With a normal schedule and a bowl game, that's an 8 or 9 win team and the players liked the coach. But the fanbase went insane after a predictable blowout loss to Alabama and here we are stuck with this meathead (but he's an alum!) on a lifetime deal. Good job.

I think it's because they're THAT bad
Bottom line is you have at least 25% of this roster which gets burn that’s gone from living the life to a real staff filled with expectations and a standard of the way to do things minute by minute and day by day.

Those 25% or so are no longer just getting their ****s pushed in by an opponent a few to a handful times a year. They’re now getting their ****s pushed in from opponents and from our staff and as a result they’ve shut it down completely or at varying times during games. To be frank the purge has begun and Mario will not be begging these guys to stick around when portal time arrives. On top of that some of the young cats are going to get more and more burn which is a good thing.

Face it fellas, it ain’t pretty but it’s necessary. This roster will look very very different when spring arrives.
Goooooooooood!

We are 116th in rushing play percentage. So it can’t be about stubbornness.
So long as he actually wanted any of those other rumored OCs (Brady, Golesh, Candle, Sean Lewis, Briles) and so long as he isn't going to stubbornly insist on a particular philosophy or group of assistants to the detriment of hiring the next OC, this will get fixed.

We have 2 losses max if they hire any of those other OC names.

Walton was off to a good start in 2017 but that was against Bethune, Toledo, and Duke. He could have ran for 400 against Toledo if he didn't miss a good portion of the game.
Might be how it was remembered - but that isn't how it happened.

Toledo - Walton was hurt SO BAD that Richt continued to play him until 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter in a blowout. No x-rays after the game, no missed practice, all reports were he was 100% going into the next game vs Duke. The legend after the fact became " Walton was playing on one leg". Classic CIS.

Duke & FSU - Homer easily outplayed Walton....because Homer was easily the better RB.

1666639763567.png

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back