It's all about the X's & O's...

To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.

Exactly. I biiched and moaned that Richt brought that SEC mindset to UM - when UM is anything BUT the SEC type football. I don't understand why these a-holes gotta try and fit UM's round hole with a square peg!

And Richt wanted the QB to go through HIS designated progressions in sequence - regardless of what the QB may have seen prior to the snap!

I've been complaining that Enos apparently doesn't have a quick pass scheme - but then again - it's hard when you're under center - or the entire team is bunched up with Freshmen trying to outman really strong, aggressive pass rushes! Our QB under those conditions doesn't have all day for this lethargic offensive scheme to sequentially unwrap and arrive for a lengthy play call.

And you've heard me mention Butch - but here's where Butch would be different than the crap we've already suffered through - Butch KNOWS Miami, and his style of play would be just as you suggest - use an offense that takes advantage of UM/Miami speed and talent.

As you said - you don't have to be a genius to understand and use the obvious. Play to YOUR strengths, and never play to your opponent's strengths.

Good write up!

Advertisement
The only team in the nation that I would call a contender who's still running a majority of their offense under center is Georgia. Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, even teams like Notre Dame and Texas have transitioned into some variation of the spread.

Not every version of the spread/air raid is the same either. We would not have to go hurry up the entire game (not a huge fan) nor would we be limiting ourselves to an all passing attack like Washington State.

I have always found it ridiculous that a team like Miami who always has good skill talent would want to line up in a power formation and just try to out-muscle their opponents with their offensive line. It's like taking the Golden State Warriors and saying you want to start running their offense out of the low post by dumping it inside to the center.

The best coordinators find ways to work around their teams' weak areas. Clearly, Miami's offensive line is the weak link of their offense. Maybe, instead of trying to force a power running game or making the quarterback take deep drops with play action, Enos can speed it up. Not by going no huddle but by placing the QB in the shotgun and allowing him to see everything instead of turning his back to the play and wasting precious seconds with five and seven step drops. The line struggles to protect, you want the QB to get the snap, make the read and throw the ball as fast as possible. Asking your line, which struggles with protection, to have to hold protection for long periods of time is suicidal.

Enos can switch it up and we can make do with what we have or he can keep running out of the I into a crowded box with a bad offensive line. Mark Richt did the same thing midway through 2016 and it salvaged our season.

Ask JW about pass protection? LMFAO The kid was MOLESTED on several plays Saturn day past. And not wishing NEGATIVE vibes on him, but if he continues to have to stand in the pocket for more than four seconds, he's going to get injured in a bad way. Because now Miami isn't facing Bethune or mighty Central Michigan. For Foster and other conference D-coordinators are BITING AT THE BIT, to face Miami's struggling offensive line!

Couldn't agree more with the OP. We use to be innovators in cfb and now we've been left behind.

When I watch SFLA football you see exactly the type of Offense these guys should be running here. I dont think we have a QB that looks comfortable taking snaps under Centre.

I have a horrible feeling Enos is a D'Onofrio clone who will run this Uwisky offense even if we don't have OL we need for it.

You're living in 2010-11. Gundy is on seven straight seasons with 3 losses minimum. In year 14, he went 7-6 and was unranked.

Like I said, guys who have never "killed it" won't all of a sudden start killing it just because we have a U on our helmets.

And who made you the late sage Nostradamus?

Oklahoma largely gets whoever they want. They recruit with the best of them. Hasn't exactly worked for them. Sure, I'd love to make the playoffs, but at some point, fans would lose their minds that we are constantly getting beat in the playoffs.

IMO, Clemson or tOSU's offense are better goals to aim for.

Now, there is something to be said for running a Pace & Space offense as stop gap in order to win more consistently and use that to improve recruiting with the ultimate goal of moving back to an offense that is more complimentary.
The key to winning in the playoffs is to keep getting into the playoffs.

Advertisement
I know. But the guy was talking like mario told them no. If they would have offered him i believe he would have took it.

Any fan who doesn't think this is Mario's "honey pack your ****, we are catching the redeye to Miami tonight and we need to leave now before Oregon finds out" dream job then you are crazy. He would have taken this job in a minute. But his buyout is through the roof I think. Oregon wasn't dumb. They know UM is where he wants to be ultimately.

Air raid is not what I want. Power spread like what Ohio state is using is ideal. The only position we can consistently recruit national talent is TE since we still have league cache. We need to exploit this but also make use of our ability to get receivers and running backs. With the air raid your run game suffers. Good teams run the ball well.

We also don’t need to hike the ball in hyper speed. This doesn’t give the defense time to rest and if you’re not on your game you defense will suffer. Look at Ucf against Pitt. Pitt stopped them on first and second and then they go three and out in under a minute. Or they line up and need to get a play called correctly and the rhythm is off. What Ohio state runs is what we need to run. No doubt about it.

If you run the Mickey Mouse **** your defense will start to suck. There’s no air raid team with a good defense. Even LSU gave up 33 to vandy.

Make no mistake we need to make a change. But some of y’all are wishing for the wrong thing
Agree with the power spread and even though I hate to admit it we should have hired Mullen because that’s exactly what he runs. And even though i hate it, Mullen is not a corch, the guys a good coach.

Exactly. I biiched and moaned that Richt brought that SEC mindset to UM - when UM is anything BUT the SEC type football. I don't understand why these a-holes gotta try and fit UM's round hole with a square peg!

And Richt wanted the QB to go through HIS designated progressions in sequence - regardless of what the QB may have seen prior to the snap!

I've been complaining that Enos apparently doesn't have a quick pass scheme - but then again - it's hard when you're under center - or the entire team is bunched up with Freshmen trying to outman really strong, aggressive pass rushes! Our QB under those conditions doesn't have all day for this lethargic offensive scheme to sequentially unwrap and arrive for a lengthy play call.

And you've heard me mention Butch - but here's where Butch would be different than the crap we've already suffered through - Butch KNOWS Miami, and his style of play would be just as you suggest - use an offense that takes advantage of UM/Miami speed and talent.

As you said - you don't have to be a genius to understand and use the obvious. Play to YOUR strengths, and never play to your opponent's strengths.

Good write up!

The late honorable, wise John H. Walton held a similar philosophy. Coach, teach and coach to your players strengths. Of course, Wooden had all those THOROUGHBRED studs in the starting lineup, too. LOL In other words, keep it simple and don't coach a square nail into a socket. hUh

I hold to the school of thought, that it's the PLAYERS whom have made Panda look good. But I could be wrong. hUh Also, Miami lacks game experience at safety this season. That includes the fifth-year senior.

I have defended Banda like no other when most posters hated him and called him "the bartender". BUT I will jump ship if he trots Knowles out there and I see Bolden on the sidelines with his arms folded. No more excuses. Bolden needs to start getting valuable game reps in game action. Hes not going to learn **** getting "mental reps" on the sidelines. The time is now.

Advertisement
As opposed to what, our style of play now?

Has the 40-50 plays per game moving at snails pace under center offense keeping our Defense fresh been winning us games in the last 5 years???

VS Boise St. they scored 31 pts. in the first half and were held scoreless the rest of the game.

VS Louisville they scored 21 in the 1st Qtr. and didn't score again until the 4th.

Not saying I'm a fan of Enos, but great offenses know how to distribute their points throughout the game.

A lot of CanesInsight dudes had/have deep-seated CONTEMPT for that Mr. Onion Head. But he didn't have the cash flow to hire upper-tier assistants.

Heck, that creep Onion Head at least hired a competent offensive coordinator after Patrick, but said coordinator eventually UNDERMINED that Onion Head. Go figure.
Exactly!!! Would you believe that Shannon was only making 500k as head coach at UM. He didn’t have no way near the resources these coaches had.

The main problem I have with Enos is that I don't even think he brought Bamas offense with him like we thought which is absolutely nuts! I watch Bama a lot since I wager on them every week and I am just not seeing our offense scheme wise. Yeah they have 5*s at every position so they make it look better but I am just talking schemes. I don't see a lot of I-formation, pro sets stuff. Bama spreads that thing out and Tua is the gunslinger. Why is Enos not even using that playbook??

Advertisement
Couldn't agree more with the OP. We use to be innovators in cfb and now we've been left behind.

When I watch SFLA football you see exactly the type of Offense these guys should be running here. I dont think we have a QB that looks comfortable taking snaps under Centre.

I have a horrible feeling Enos is a D'Onofrio clone who will run this Uwisky offense even if we don't have OL we need for it.

Forget your troublesome feeling. Enos is the SECOND COMING of Marky Mark " NO-D " D'Onofrio! And I'll let the remaining games be my witness. hUh

The main problem I have with Enos is that I don't even think he brought Bamas offense with him like we thought which is absolutely nuts! I watch Bama a lot since I wager on them every week and I am just not seeing our offense scheme wise. Yeah they have 5*s at every position so they make it look better but I am just talking schemes. I don't see a lot of I-formation, pro sets stuff. Bama spreads that thing out and Tua is the gunslinger. Why is Enos not even using that playbook??

Because he's the smartest man in the room? Just ask him? So was Golden, D'Onofrio, Clappy, Radar, Richt.

We're on a serious run, here!

Advertisement
To me the issue with this team on both sides of the ball is scheme more so than personnel.

Particularly on Offense, I've felt we need to go to a Spread Offense since 2016 due to the fact we simply don't have the OL to run the scheme these play callers Miami keeps hiring wants us to run.

WE ARE NOT A POWER RUN UNDER CENTER "PRO STYLE" Offense. We don't have the OT's to protect long enough for 5-7 step Play Action drops & we don't have the the interior line to open up big holes & create sufficient run lanes.

We need to stop fighting against ourselves & transition to a Spread/Air Raid style offense, because 1) we have the Offensive weapons that fit that scheme perfectly & 2) it would neutralize having to always rely on the Defense to be more stout than they're capable of.

We should be beating teams off the fact we have speed & athleticism combined with making them defend the ENTIRE field. The exact same issues we had last year, we have this year, we're slow, predictable & easily shut down on Offense by any DC with half a brain because we don't apply any pressure to Defenses whatsoever, we play right into their hands.

In today's era of College Football you can manufacture yards without having elite talent all over the field, the name of the PACE & SPACE! When you don't have an elite OL with a bunch of maulers & road graders the one thing you don't do is put them in a position to lose by making them block longer than they should. In an uptempo offense the ball is moving quickly on both Pass & Run plays which makes it easier for the OL to sustain quicker blocking assignments & doesn't force them to deal with a pass rush they can't contain.

For whatever reason we keep getting these fckin play callers that think the way to solve our OL issues is to just let them get beat over & over again and then eventually they'll figure it out smfh. Jakai Clark, Zion Nelson, Donaldson & Scaife all looked like sh*t vs CMU, that to me speaks to the coaching staff not properly developing them & not teaching them correctly. It's un-fckin-believable that we haven't had an OL worth a **** in basically 5 years.

We play extremely slow as an offense with these long developing plays that get blown up in the backfield as soon as the ball is snapped. We play with no tempo at all, we should be going at breakneck speed & forcing teams to pick their poison in what they wanna sellout to Defend. PACE & SPACE, you can run the ball effectively out of the Spread while still having a lethal passing attack going with multiple 4-wide sets & when you pickup the pace of play going tempo you keep the Defense on their heels & off balanced.

Look at most of the top 30 teams in Total Offense, Oklahoma, Wash St, Arizona, LSU, Utah St, UCF, Bama, Maryland, Wake Forest, Ok St, Oh St, SMU, Baylor, Texas, Memphis & Boise St, what do they ALL have in common... SCHEME, TEMPO (PACE) & SPACING. The specific scheme may differ from each team in terms of verbiage & play calling, but the concepts are all similar & the overall philosophy is very much the same... ATTACK YOUR OPPONENTS WEAKNESSES WITH YOUR STRENGTHS & SPREAD THE DEFENSE OUT TO OPEN UP THE FIELD.

I've seen enough on this slow antiquated 1995 under center Offense, we're not Wisconsin, or BC, or Iowa, or Michigan State, we don't have the players to run this type of Offense that our OC's keep wanting to run here. We need to get with the times & Spread the got **** ball out & start utilizing our skill players better putting them in position to succeed.

The reason why we always have a bunch of talented under utilized players is because we get these dictator OC's that wanna run these old *** overly & unnecessarily complicated offenses that take 4 years to learn the playbook, while simultaneously never actually yielding any results. What fckin sense does it make to run the most complex offense ever that essentially neutralizes your own skill players & debilitates your OLine & can still be easily beaten by FCS D Coordinators & teams with less talent?

Back in November of last year I made a thread about the next HC candidates I think would do well here, the top guys were Josh Heupel, Mike Norvell, Dino Babers & Neal Brown. My reasoning was, they would bring their high powered offenses to Miami with the caliber of athletes we have which would immediately increase offensive productvity which would get us easy W's vs teams that we're more talented than, which would then also put us in position to go on a run making us a more viable team in the Coastal, which would then make us more attractive to recruits.

Manny was not on my list. I like Manny & am willing to give him time to get it right realizing full well he's not gettin fired in year 1; what my hope is is that Enos gets hired somewhere else after this season (no he's not going to Mich St as a HC, if anything he'll go be a OC for another team or possibly get hired by a MAC/Sun Belt team as a HC) & maybe we can finally get smart & hire a guy from the Oklahoma Air Raid/Spread tree to put us in position to stop playing down to competition.

Here’s hoping Manny reads this and has his LBJ/Walter Cronkite moment.

Advertisement
Back