It's about time

I was all in on Butch, I really was, but when they named Richt HC I was really, really happy. Richt is a better game day coach than Butch ever was, or ever will be. Yes, Butch would have recruited well and built a really good team. I think Richt will build something even better, though. Yes, Butch had a lot of fire and he'd have worked his rear end off, but so will Richt. As evidenced by him taking over OC and QB coach duties. Richt it every bit as hungry as Butch, and wants to prove he can win by doing things his way, not the Georgia way. We have some darn good times ahead of us.

One more thing... It would have been absolutely heart breaking for Butch to come back and not have the success he had before. I believed he could have had a world of success, but what if? Still, I'd have taken Butch over pretty much any available coach out there not named Mark Richt. But, Richt was the best coach available, and this Cane fan and Butch supporter is thrilled to have him.
I like Mark a lot but he was not my choice. He and staff are light-years beyond Al and dummies, but not the same fire Butch would have brought. I do expect Mark to bet FSU and win coastal, so it is not that I think he is not a good coach. If fact, he was probably way more than we would have gotten otherwise. I have to wait to see team play. Need to see the fire in them to measure Mark's. Remember, ole St Bobby was "nice guy" and we used and abused him for years. I hope Mark left that nice thing back in GA.

Advertisement
I was all in on Butch, I really was, but when they named Richt HC I was really, really happy. Richt is a better game day coach than Butch ever was, or ever will be. Yes, Butch would have recruited well and built a really good team. I think Richt will build something even better, though. Yes, Butch had a lot of fire and he'd have worked his rear end off, but so will Richt. As evidenced by him taking over OC and QB coach duties. Richt it every bit as hungry as Butch, and wants to prove he can win by doing things his way, not the Georgia way. We have some darn good times ahead of us.

One more thing... It would have been absolutely heart breaking for Butch to come back and not have the success he had before. I believed he could have had a world of success, but what if? Still, I'd have taken Butch over pretty much any available coach out there not named Mark Richt. But, Richt was the best coach available, and this Cane fan and Butch supporter is thrilled to have him.
I like Mark a lot but he was not my choice. He and staff are light-years beyond Al and dummies, but not the same fire Butch would have brought. I do expect Mark to bet FSU and win coastal, so it is not that I think he is not a good coach. If fact, he was probably way more than we would have gotten otherwise. I have to wait to see team play. Need to see the fire in them to measure Mark's. Remember, ole St Bobby was "nice guy" and we used and abused him for years. I hope Mark left that nice thing back in GA.

Once Mark got fired it was clear he was the next coach of Miami. I prefer him to all but Butch, so in that regard I am very happy we have him. He is family. I agree he is better game day coach. I am not much of a "nice guy" for coach type. I've known Howard from Dolphins days. He was and is a gentleman but one you would like to have on your side in a dark ally. Like young Don Shula, players feared him. Butch had that. Mark, not so much. All that said, I expect he will bring us back to respectable, starting with beating the crap out of noles this year. If he can add ND to win list, I will be very happy. ACC coastal should be automatic under him. I understand our depth issues make all that questionable but if Brad stays healthy, Mark has a NFL QB with serious brain power. That should be enough for coastal.

blah blah blah

From 1987-2000, the Noles finished the season ranked in the top 5.. Yes he "only" won 2 NC there but what he built at FSU is remarkable. If you wouldn't take that kind of result from Mark here then you're crazy.

Bobby became HC at FSU in 1976. Howard came to THE U in 1979. Howard and two more HCs got NCs before Bobby got his 1st. Do you think for one moment any coach could come to Miami and stay for 11 years before a TOP FIVE finish? Please, Joe Pa's record would gotten him fired here. Miami is not a trailer park where watching fireflies is exciting. This is not the place where "career achievement" awards are given out.

True, for Mark to match Bobby would be nice, but those one of those 2 NC's better come in the first 4 or 5 years, or Mark will be in trouble. The sun is bright here and unless you have regular sunscreen applications you will burn up. That said, I am happy he is here. He is much much better HC than what we have had since Butch. Heck, he might even be a better field coach than Butch, but he lacks the rear "pucker" factor. If he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, then I firmly believe he will take us to NC and I am fine with that.

Advertisement
Back