It was NOT a SAFETY

Why was the ball spotted on the 2 yard line to start the drive? Williams’ interception occurred at the 4. I looked at the ESPN play by play and there was no mention of any penalty after the change of possession that would have moved the ball back. The TV coverage broke away during the review and came back with us at the 2. 🤦‍♂️
Maybe a penalty? Btw on the play where I think it was Mallory who fumbled and the ball rolled out of bounds just beyond the sticks. Did anyone catch the one ref place the ball where it went out and then the side judge who watched it go out looked at the sticks and moved it back so that it looked like it would be short of the first (and therefore a 4th down)?!?

Sorry if this was already discussed, but there was a ton of suspect calls and non calls that went against da U (including when their RB just did a soccer flop to draw an unsportsmanlike penalty early on)

Advertisement
Pitt crybabies, they really think that the refs handed us the game, what a butthurt bunch. Like another poster already stated, their first TD was a joke and they wrestled our DEs down from behind strangling our players like a wrestler in the WWF. It was ridiculous to watch from time to time.

Advertisement
I agree but therein lies the problem. When you run 99.9% of your plays from shotgun, it makes it really obvious that the one time you line up under center is to QB sneak.

Only in victory formation
He did against NC State or UNC.

Pitt crybabies, they really think that the refs handed us the game, what a butthurt bunch. Like another poster already stated, their first TD was a joke and they wrestled our DEs down from behind strangling our players like a wrestler in the WWF. It was ridiculous to watch from time to time.
Were a few push offs on big gains from them as well that weren’t called.

Advertisement
We have a huge guy at qb, do we even consider the thought of lining him up directly under center and using him to gain a yard or two? For me that should be a given every 3rd and 1.

Every weekend I watch college football, I ask myself why is the QB sneak (dumb name, there's nothing sneaky about it) not called. It's like they've all forgotten about the play. Grab a yard or two, get the first down, touchdown, or in this case some safety to work with.

It literally drives me nuts how many times I see something blown up because coaches don't call a low risk play with a high rate of success.

I saw this same shot as well and agree he was over the goal line.
The question in my mind was if forward progress was stopped and the whistle had blown.

You can't play that "what if", or "takeaway that" game.
I don't recall NC State's kicker calling "bank" on that 3, or anyone mentioning Harley falling on the INT that was probably going to be at least a FG for us.

Advertisement
“No camera angle to see it”

Absolutely how we lost to UNC at home a few years ago on a back of the endzone touchdown that should not have counted.

Get better cameras and more angles for all games.

Also, **** Pitt, the play call and the no face mask. it wasn’t clear enough to overturn and call it a safety .
You're asking a HS production level crew to add more camera angles. They might film pigeons. On one of the most critical plays of the game (the long 3rd down when we were at the goal line), the production crew didn't switch from the QB camera to the pass to the WR at the 1st down marker. They just kind of let us listen in. "Oh hey, 1st down." Pretty cool. ACC network is a joke.

You're asking a HS production level crew to add more camera angles. They might film pigeons. On one of the most critical plays of the game (the long 3rd down when we were at the goal line), the production crew didn't switch from the QB camera to the pass to the WR at the 1st down marker. They just kind of let us listen in. "Oh hey, 1st down." Pretty cool. ACC network is a joke.
Agreed. It is an imbalance for teams in a multi billion dollar sport. If Pitt got robbed, it was because their game was on an inferior network with a different set of replay options or rules than other teams. That just should not be the case in major college football.

Agreed it would be better if the ACC network didn’t shoot their games using a few dudes iPhones.

Specifically the play you mentioned. Great look at TVD, terrible visibility to the actual play.

TVD has not only run snaps from center in victory formation.

He has done it at least a couple of times during regular gameplay, including a fumbled snap the previous week against N.C. State which he recovered himself.
There you go. Made the point for me. Put him u set center, snap gets fumbled

Advertisement
Yeah, that was definitely amateur hour. It was a high school level film crew out there, for sure.

I remember when that play happened. The only way to tell that it was a fist down catch was by TVD’s reaction, and the crowd response.

Though the replays could be considered “inconclusive” I thought Canes benefited from a VERY close call on the non-safety late vs. Pitt. Pivotal play.

Narduzzi was clearly ****ed in his post game comments.

you guys think it was a good call?

Advertisement
Back