It looks like it’s over for CFB in 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
As I said, you can make the decision to shut down but what are your metrics for reopening? It’s not a given that the same liability issues don’t exist in July 2021. Cancel it two years in a row and you go from 120odd college football teams to maybe 30 or 40 in 2022. Cancel that season and even Alabama and Texas are done.

Advertisement
I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m simply reporting what I saw. But is it really absurd? Really? There is so much liability. There are 1 million attorneys that would be chomping at the bit to Sue University shut the NCAA over an athlete getting sick with COVID-19 and dying or suffering serious side effects from the disease.

Advertisement
I think they’re missing opportunities for a middle ground since there are two, well-entrenched camps (cancel and full-steam ahead)

I haven’t heard it discussed but what if teams only played 4-5 games. Spread the games out so there is time to test/evaluate 2 weeks+ between games. You could structure it so teams don’t have to travel so far too. May not be conference or national championships, but people will watch. ****, I’d schedule my Friday night around UK v. Vandy at this point.

I think it balances health/safety, revenue issues to keep programs afloat, and roster management issues. I think they should try that before cancelling.

Advertisement
I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m simply reporting what I saw. But is it really absurd? Really? There is so much liability. There are 1 million attorneys that would be chomping at the bit to Sue University shut the NCAA over an athlete getting sick with COVID-19 and dying or suffering serious side effects from the disease.

You’re not wrong (regarding the attorneys that would in line to represent the many lawsuits)...but that ‘opt out’ option might be a defense that would hold up.

If it comes to it, one has a strong case that a student athlete wasn’t forced to play and could’ve opt-ed out.

Season 2 Slow Clap GIF by CBS All Access

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back