It ain't just the O-line

I took these screen grabs for another thread to highlight one of my favorite plays: Play-action pass to the FB in the flat. It's a great call against teams who are loading the box and over committing to stopping the run. Where in 22 Personnel--2 TE I formation. Jordan is running a deep out route to occupy the boundary db and SS, and Polendy is going to run a drag route to freeze the LBs. The line is going to crash left leaving two unblocked defenders; the DE and the WLB. Gray is going to rub the WLB on his way out into the flat, and Homer's responsibility is the DE that we're purposefully sucking in with the play fake.

View attachment 63949

So far, so good. The line seals off the left side. Polendy's route is occupying three defenders. Gray gets an excellent chip on the WLB. The DE takes the bait. And the SS bites hard on the run and leaves the CB one on one with Jordan, which is where this pass is likely going if not for what happens next.

View attachment 63950

Homer, inexplicably, misses his assignment and instead tries to block the same guy Gray already blocked out of the play. Another unblocked defender gets a free shot on the QB.

View attachment 63951

Live, I thought this was a well executed play. These stills, though, show that it was a near disaster. Mind you this is Savannah State. This is why we look so bad against decent teams. Granted, this was the first time we'd seen this personnel package, and the only time we ran this play, but we have to make these blocks to compete against better teams.

I also have a problem with Brevin's route. These out routes seem to be a staple in Richt's offense, and they aren't very efficient plays in CFB.
1) they are difficult throws for QBs to make
2) on a play like this they bring that safety closer to the intended target (Gray in this case)
3) if Brevin continues to the endzone he has a 1v1 matchup against a smaller DB.

I'm assuming backside WR is running a post here, but he could just as easily run a streak pattern or deep curl.

Advertisement
So Homer sacking Perry...coach Richt teach that one too? That play go down just like they drew it up in summer camp?

Going down imaginary magical rabbit holes isn't going to get you anywhere. This offense will offer plenty of mysterious journey's for you to pontificate on. Like the play you've already tried to wrap your head around

Edit* I'll do it once. That play is T9 Short F-Flat-H-Choice (add snap) QB/C handles blitz calls at line, RB choice is if there's an outside blitz into the throwing lane. Homer did what he's been coached.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Homer has been on the team long enough to get pass blocking down. With Lingard's only drawback being his pass blocking, I have to wonder what is up with Thomas Brown. Is he too distracted with drawing up plays that he isn't properly coaching the RBs?

I also have a problem with Brevin's route. These out routes seem to be a staple in Richt's offense, and they aren't very efficient plays in CFB.
1) they are difficult throws for QBs to make
2) on a play like this they bring that safety closer to the intended target (Gray in this case)
3) if Brevin continues to the endzone he has a 1v1 matchup against a smaller DB.

I'm assuming backside WR is running a post here, but he could just as easily run a streak pattern or deep curl.

Brevin's to block and seal that sideline for the FB.

QB/C are to call a protection slide, so, as we see, the LT isn't standing alone with nothing to do

Then, we need not play crayon blaming Homer for doing what he's been coached

Advertisement
Back