It ain't just the O-line

Loose Cannon

Junior
I took these screen grabs for another thread to highlight one of my favorite plays: Play-action pass to the FB in the flat. It's a great call against teams who are loading the box and over committing to stopping the run. Where in 22 Personnel--2 TE I formation. Jordan is running a deep out route to occupy the boundary db and SS, and Polendy is going to run a drag route to freeze the LBs. The line is going to crash left leaving two unblocked defenders; the DE and the WLB. Gray is going to rub the WLB on his way out into the flat, and Homer's responsibility is the DE that we're purposefully sucking in with the play fake.

flat1.png

So far, so good. The line seals off the left side. Polendy's route is occupying three defenders. Gray gets an excellent chip on the WLB. The DE takes the bait. And the SS bites hard on the run and leaves the CB one on one with Jordan, which is where this pass is likely going if not for what happens next.

flat2.png

Homer, inexplicably, misses his assignment and instead tries to block the same guy Gray already blocked out of the play. Another unblocked defender gets a free shot on the QB.

flat3.png

Live, I thought this was a well executed play. These stills, though, show that it was a near disaster. Mind you this is Savannah State. This is why we look so bad against decent teams. Granted, this was the first time we'd seen this personnel package, and the only time we ran this play, but we have to make these blocks to compete against better teams.

Advertisement
Takes all 11 guys doing their job right for plays to work.

I realize that is pointing out the obvious, but nonetheless case in point.

Good eye. I never noticed the missed block live. A better team could have turned that play into a disaster.

Advertisement
I mentioned this in another thread, but Mallory, Jordan, and I believe Polendy had some brutal missed blocks in the game, too. They're freshman, so they get a bit of a pass, but definitely something of note.

Not having an experienced TE to block is going to cause a lot of headaches. They are instrumental in Richt’s zone stretch and outsize zone scheme.

I mentioned this in another thread, but Mallory, Jordan, and I believe Polendy had some brutal missed blocks in the game, too. They're freshman, so they get a bit of a pass, but definitely something of note.

No passes on simple blocking assignments in my book. Good work @Loose Cannon.

This once again goes back to people complaining about Mark Richt and is offense, which I don’t believe is the main issue. Our issues have been exciting what seems to be a very simple offense, yet we still somehow miss blocks and wide open WR/TE. The players just aren’t exciting which he has mentioned over and over. I personally would like to see an uptempo offense similar to Oklahoma, but he isn’t going to do that. He puts the players in position to make plays and they have yet to do that consistently since he has been here.

Advertisement
Advertisement
My vote is not to rely so heavily on 22 personnel, considering our issues with blocking, ... But against this team, i understand getting it on tape to coach it up with the guys in the film room.

A defense can scheme a lot of different ways to attack our offense in this grouping. It puts pressure on the OL to figure out where the threat is coming from, and the QB to make the right read in a hurry, to get the ball out quickly. Pre-snap, the QB doesn't know if he's going to get killed, who the hot read is, or who's dropping into coverage... There's simply more to map out with the high number of defenders in the box.

I think it's why we either take shots downfield, or throw quick hitches to the slot in this offense. We don't see alot of slants, digs, because I don't think Coach Richt trusts Malik in that way, or even the young QB's. But when you don't put that stuff on film, the defense will defend the things you stick to, knowing you shy away from certain throws.

In my book, we're better off spreading the field - until this OL gets it together.

It's as simple as a numbers game. 2TE set = 10 guys in the box. With mediocre blocking, it's hard to run it, or pass protect against it currently

I don't think the play was designed for Homer to ignore the guy coming through the B gap untouched and block the guy coming from the outside that Gray had already chipped. You always pass protect from inside out.

Welp, it was. Had that one read play been to the TE crossing over the middle, Homer picks up the B gap

I agree that it's not as simple as the regular 11 personnel, shotgun formation we see almost exclusively but I like that Richt installed some heavy sets into the gameplan on Saturday. Not only does it give our guys (especially our young tight ends) an opportunity to get some game experience in more traditional sets but it gives future opponents another wrinkle to prepare for.

Advertisement
One read play. The outside blitzer is the read for Homer on that play.
That might make sense if it was a Zone Read with an option for Rosier to run, but this was a pass all the way. Nobody is blocking down field. Add to that, the outside defender(WLB) was already accounted for by Gray and taken completely out of the play.

That might make sense if it was a Zone Read with an option for Rosier to run, but this was a pass all the way. Nobody is blocking down field. Add to that, the outside defender(WLB) was already accounted for by Gray and taken completely out of the play.

The outside blitzer was not accounted for. Gray is to feign that block and leak out, Homer is to pick up the blitzing player that is in the throwing lane of the QB's first read to prevent a tip or the QB looping that pass over the blitzing player into the flat.

They ran this in the summer, more than once and it was done vs SSU just as it was then

The outside blitzer was not accounted for. Gray is to feign that block and leak out, Homer is to pick up the blitzing player that is in the throwing lane of the QB's first read to prevent a tip or the QB looping that pass over the blitzing player into the flat.

They ran this in the summer, more than once and it was done vs SSU just as it was then
I still ain’t buying it mainly because the entire line crashes left leaving two free blitzers. I look at that 2nd and 3rd slide and it’s obviously the DE who has a chance to affect the throw. Any FBS DE and Rosier no’s getting up off his *** and the only person he’s throwing the ball to is the ref.

****, once Gray rubs past the WLB, he ain’t even rushing the QB anymore. He realizes what’s going on and tries to recover. Homer has to run him down to block him.

Advertisement
Back