It’s Time: We need to go back to a 4-3 this scheme is trash

I agree with earlier poster, just simplify things to many exotic looks where we wind out confusing ourselves :

Advertisement
This 4-2-5, 3-3-5 scheme is trash. Every scheme has a weakness but I’m tired of seeing us get gashed in these one on ones with nobody else in the area except the corner or Striker that got beat. Also We don’t have enough DBs to keep playing this kind of scheme.

Next season players like Sam Brooks, Joyner, and Huff lined in a 4-3 would make our defense better. I would move Carter down to WLB and Frierson to free safety.

FS - Bubba Bolden | Gilbert Frierson
SS - Gurvan Hall | Keontra Smith

CB - Trajan Bandy | Christian Williams
CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

SLB - Patrick Joyner | Zach McCloud*
MLB - Sam Brooks | Bradley Jennings
WLB - Amari Carter | Avery Huff

DE - Greg Rousseau | Jaelan Phillips
DT - Nesta Silvera | Jason Blissett
DT - Jon Ford | Jordan Miller
DE - Jon Garvin | Scott Patchan

Still need a competent DC but I’m ready to go back to the Randy Shannon scheme thoughts?

:monkey-serious:

This 4-2-5, 3-3-5 scheme is trash. Every scheme has a weakness but I’m tired of seeing us get gashed in these one on ones with nobody else in the area except the corner or Striker that got beat. Also We don’t have enough DBs to keep playing this kind of scheme.

Next season players like Sam Brooks, Joyner, and Huff lined in a 4-3 would make our defense better. I would move Carter down to WLB and Frierson to free safety.

CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

Still need a competent DC but I’m ready to go back to the Randy Shannon scheme thoughts?
Almost every single play there was a guy wide *** open over the middle for an easy 5-6 yards. Normally the check down guy, RB, Slot, whoever
The guy is ALWAYS WIDE OPEN!

CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

Listen..the 3-3-5 is what ran Rich Rodriguez out of football. It’s the worst defense ever created.

The 4-2-5 is actually a great defense...it’s a 4-3 with a nickel dB instead of a LB.

We just run it fcked up & it’s so stupid the way we run it. I’ve never seen a ******* striker take the got **** seam route in zone or when playing man not having any help over the top bc the Striker is nothing more than an athletic box player...that’s all he is...when we run man, we should telling everyone on defense that safety help will be afforded to the striker only..corners you’re on your own.

It’s not even the scheme.. the DC like the HC doesn’t have any feel for the game. See 4th & 17.

Advertisement
Almost every single play there was a guy wide *** open over the middle for an easy 5-6 yards. Normally the check down guy, RB, Slot, whoever
The guy is ALWAYS WIDE OPEN!

There’s normally a guy open against most defensive calls..the key is to disguise it so the offense doesn’t know whose open on a certain given play.

CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

Agreed! Except get Patchan off the depth chart. He's stealing a schlarship from us

Advertisement
I hate seeing that bullshyt 3-man rush on 3rd down. We got picked on every time

Just put 29 at striker and let him wreck sht
White lightning always shows out
This move would solidly everything

The 3-4 scheme is basically an acknowledgement that our middle zone and CB/DB are a weakness on defense.

You only put 4 upfront if you believe your D backfield can be trusted to lockdown the intermediate to deep ball.

We just don’t have it.

Our CB/DB are the WEAKEST LINK on Defense.

When we get Nesta and Joyner back on D to put pressure upfront I predict this D will start clicking again and put real pressure on the other QB

CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

I like the idea of Amari carter at Will linebacker, I think with his aggression and down hill ability he’ll flourish there and would be the best pass protection LB we have. The only thing I would change on your two deep is I would move McLeod to Mike linebacker because that’s his strength since he’s so weak at pass protection. Just my two cents but good post.

Advertisement
1569621263185.png

It could be worse, we could have this ****_clown still calling the shots!!! :)

CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

You trying to get Patch an 11th year of eligibility?

We’ve been using a 3 man front since he’s been here. But we rarely just end up rushing 3 guys..honestly man I’m not sure ppl pay actual attention to what’s happening.
I think it could be the fact we line up with 4 down lineman Garvin bailing out as a zone/spy that gives people the impression that the 3 man front is much more frequent this year. To me it seems to be far more frequent, but I may be falling into the same trap myself. Haven't been able to put myself through rewatching the last few games to be an accurate porster

Advertisement
I think it could be the fact we line up with 4 down lineman Garvin bailing out as a zone/spy that gives people the impression that the 3 man front is much more frequent this year. To me it seems to be far more frequent, but I may be falling into the same trap myself. Haven't been able to put myself through rewatching the last few games to be an accurate porster
I agree with you on the going back to watch the first couple of games; but I do hate the fact that our best pass rusher is the one bailing out into zone coverage, or whatever the heck they have him doing.

The problem is not the scheme.

The problem is the four guys in the front not being able to consistently disrupt the pocket against pass pro. Bama, LSU, and Georgia DBs wouldn't look great either with our pass rush.

The first three seconds in the trenches will dictate the rest of the play

Bamas D has been regressing the past 2 years. you cant run a 4-3 base w todays offenses. get this through your skull.

I don’t agree with that. Ohio State and Clemson do. Even a 3-4 scheme usually rushes 4-5. A straight 3 man rush is usually a bend bend bend then break D until you bring heat. As long as you are disguising your coverage behind a 4 man front it’s fine.

I think you need to be multiple at times or against certain teams but you play to the strength of your players. Our D has played better in early 200’s in a 4-3 and since Manny has been here in a 4-3. The personnel and scheme fits better with a 4-3. Garvin dropping is not playing to his strength. Rousseau at NT is not playing to his strength. Playing a 3 man line with every guy under 260 is a bit much. Our LBs don’t stack and shed and need DTs to cover them. It goes on.

CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

Like this post, but we can’t run man 2 every play like the good ole days. It leaves to much room for the qb run and short crosses.

Many qbs take off running as soon as they se the underneath coverage turn their back to chase receivers.

We do need to use it more in long yardage situations. Against more athletic qbs, we should spy with an athletic player.

Would like to see some zone 2 occasionally as well but only with the d line playing down hill, pressing receivers and using a faster player to cover the intermediate middle. It is a good curveball to the man 2.

I think we can play more cover 1 with Bandy or Couch in the slot as opposed to the striker. The free lb should be used to discourage crossing routes or blitz. Seems like we are better blitzing with lbs instead of dabs and with immediate pressure as opposed to the delay.

Regardless we need to simplify the defense. We had freshman lbs playing well in 2016 because we kept their assignments simple. We should do the same for our inexperienced safeties now.

Advertisement
Back