It’s Time: We need to go back to a 4-3 this scheme is trash

Obvious plays were there is 3 or 4 WRs on the field we go with a nickel or Dime package... traditional lineup using cbs not “Strikers” that can’t cover for ****.
Every play in today’s games has 3 or 4 wide outs bro..the striker is just a 3rd safety hybrid(nickel package)..switching back to 3 LBS would suggest we need to stop the run better..which is not the case. Our problem is figuring out what we need to do to cover the slot better..but this is suggesting we either take Finley off the field completely, or put him closer in the box, which does not fit him. You don’t want finely washed in the box taking up blocks..this is still a 4 dline upfront 1gap defense predicated on shooting gaps..what we need to do is slide 2 inside on 3rd down obvious passing downs and have 23 be that dime CB

Advertisement
i was shocked to see a de line up at dt in the 3 man front against CMU. I was sick of seeing a three man front on critical downs too. Maybe when nesta comes back it will be different (hopefully). BTW OP, you get alot of hate on this forum for talking real ****, ive noticed i do too.

i was shocked to see a de line up at dt in the 3 man front against CMU. I was sick of seeing a three man front on critical downs too. Maybe when nesta comes back it will be different (hopefully). BTW OP, you get alot of hate on this forum for talking real ****, ive noticed i do too.
Diaz used the 3 man front a lot last year with joe, willis, and garvin.

Every play in today’s games has 3 or 4 wide outs bro..the striker is just a 3rd safety hybrid(nickel package)..switching back to 3 LBS would suggest we need to stop the run better..which is not the case. Our problem is figuring out what we need to do to cover the slot better..but this is suggesting we either take Finley off the field completely, or put him closer in the box, which does not fit him. You don’t want finely washed in the box taking up blocks..this is still a 4 dline upfront 1gap defense predicated on shooting gaps..what we need to do is slide 2 inside on 3rd down obvious passing downs and have 23 be that dime CB
Covering the slot better is simple. And they finally did it in the 2nd half vs cmu. They played bandy at nickel and had blades and ivey outside.

Advertisement
Covering the slot better is simple. And they finally did it in the 2nd half vs cmu. They played bandy at nickel and had blades and ivey outside.
Yeah we’ve showed that look since UNC. Problem is I think we need change up and sure up the coverages in backend. Against CMU we played a whole lot of man

We’ve been using a 3 man front since he’s been here. But we rarely just end up rushing 3 guys..honestly man I’m not sure ppl pay actual attention to what’s happening.
I mean he didn't use it as much in 2017 or 2016 because they would kick chad inside with d.jack or mcintosh.

This 4-2-5, 3-3-5 scheme is trash. Every scheme has a weakness but I’m tired of seeing us get gashed in these one on ones with nobody else in the area except the corner or Striker that got beat. Also We don’t have enough DBs to keep playing this kind of scheme.

Next season players like Sam Brooks, Joyner, and Huff lined in a 4-3 would make our defense better. I would move Carter down to WLB and Frierson to free safety.

FS - Bubba Bolden | Gilbert Frierson
SS - Gurvan Hall | Keontra Smith

CB - Trajan Bandy | Christian Williams
CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

SLB - Patrick Joyner | Zach McCloud*
MLB - Sam Brooks | Bradley Jennings
WLB - Amari Carter | Avery Huff

DE - Greg Rousseau | Jaelan Phillips
DT - Nesta Silvera | Jason Blissett
DT - Jon Ford | Jordan Miller
DE - Jon Garvin | Scott Patchan

Still need a competent DC but I’m ready to go back to the Randy Shannon scheme thoughts?
Simplify things too. I'm seeing too much miscommunication and it looks like the guys are thinking too much

Advertisement

So why isn’t teams like LSU, Bama, Clemson, UGa, Ohio State all using a “striker” if every play is being run with 3 WRs or more and this is the best way to stop it??

How many interceptions or passes defended have you seen from the striker position?? They aren’t athletic enough to cover slot wide receivers in space.

Romeo Finley would be way better at strong safety than Robert Knowles he’s big enough to handle it and more athletic than Knowles... but I was talking about next season anyway Finley is gone after this year and has done a great job playing away from the play majority of his career mostly wasted as a striker.

Simplify things too. I'm seeing too much miscommunication and it looks like the guys are thinking too much

Exactly which is why I said our linebackers would be better off... our secondary would be too, less thinking and more attacking. if you want our linebackers to get 120 tackles a season then this is the route to go... or go with a hybrid 3-4 like LSU.

So why isn’t teams like LSU, Bama, Clemson, UGa, Ohio State all using a “striker” if every play is being run with 3 WRs or more and this is the best way to stop it??

How many interceptions or passes defended have you seen from the striker position?? They aren’t athletic enough to cover slot wide receivers in space.

Romeo Finley would be way better at strong safety than Robert Knowles he’s big enough to handle it and more athletic than Knowles... but I was talking about next season anyway Finley is gone after this year and has done a great job playing away from the play majority of his career mostly wasted as a striker.
Another crazy part..bama runs a 3-4 primarily..and have a position called the star position which is the same as a striker( minkah)..LSU runs 3-3-5 last time I checked under aranda with 3 gap stoppers in the middle and that 3rd LB is usually a hybrid safety type (Dwayne Thomas)..I don’t watch OSU enough to know exactly what they are running but I know from following recruiting it’s a version of a 4-3 with a a lot of sub packaging..basically nobody is trotting 3 classic LBs on the field. Bama stopped in 14-2015..now as far as the striker position not making plays..this is not true at all. Finely has a pick already this year, TFLs . Had a pick six last year..idk where this theory of the striker position being a issue started..the play against UF was on the FS being out of position in single High, not on Gil being beat. There was supposed to be help over the top of that slot fade

Advertisement
This 4-2-5, 3-3-5 scheme is trash. Every scheme has a weakness but I’m tired of seeing us get gashed in these one on ones with nobody else in the area except the corner or Striker that got beat. Also We don’t have enough DBs to keep playing this kind of scheme.

Next season players like Sam Brooks, Joyner, and Huff lined in a 4-3 would make our defense better. I would move Carter down to WLB and Frierson to free safety.

FS - Bubba Bolden | Gilbert Frierson
SS - Gurvan Hall | Keontra Smith

CB - Trajan Bandy | Christian Williams
CB - Al Blades | DJ Ivey
NB - Te’Cory Couch

SLB - Patrick Joyner | Zach McCloud*
MLB - Sam Brooks | Bradley Jennings
WLB - Amari Carter | Avery Huff

DE - Greg Rousseau | Jaelan Phillips
DT - Nesta Silvera | Jason Blissett
DT - Jon Ford | Jordan Miller
DE - Jon Garvin | Scott Patchan

Still need a competent DC but I’m ready to go back to the Randy Shannon scheme thoughts?
We can’t, this board can’t handle being without the STRIKER!!!

Advertisement
Telvin Smith was an undersized lber in college and in the NFL... Carter is limited in space as a safety but would make a great WLB in a 4-3.

You do realize a WLB is typically your best run thumper, your SLB is your most athletic LB I.e., Brooks, while the Mike or MLB is the person with best of both world. The reaosn why this happens is typically on the weakside you have a 1tech, which then allows the weakside guard have a somewhat free run to the WLB, so they take on OGs often. Can't just put names on position. Also defense are extremely fluid nowadays, they adjust to the offense, not the other way around. Every "personnel" package has to be able to adjust to whatever Offensive package they get in front of them.
Putting Carter in this spot would be a bad idea.

Bamas D has been regressing the past 2 years. you cant run a 4-3 base w todays offenses. get this through your skull.

Advertisement
Back