Issiah Walker

TOC, I agree with everything you wrote above.

But hypothetically, Walker and Moise could be PWOs in the Fall and count to the 2021 class in the Spring if they truly wanted to play at Miami, correct? Or am I wrong there?

It just seems to me that if their families qualify for need-based financial aid, there's not much difference for them in walking on than coming in on scholarship. Walker already practiced at UF and Moise is academically ineligible, so both would need to redshirt regardless of which program they attended. At least at Miami, Walker is with his family and community, and Moise isn't going to prep school. Then they get their athletic scholarships in January.

These two are very special cases where being PWO may just be in everyone's best interest, again, assuming they'll receive full financial aid based on need from the school for the Fall. Possible?

Again, I just want to highlight a couple of things.

Total cost of attendance at Miami, for a year, is nearly $75K. Walker just had a free-ride to Florida, a state school which costs significantly LESS. Not sure that either family can just afford to write a $75K check. Even Michael Irvin and Ray Lewis were happy to accept free-rides for their sons.

Second, if you walk-on, you have to wait one year for a grant-in-aid. So they wouldn't get a scholarship until Fall 2021.

Finally, I would point out that it seems fairly likely that Walker could get a waiver, particularly in a post-Coronavirus NCAA world.

And Moise could prep for one semester at Fork Union and come to Miami in January. Much cheaper and it would probably benefit him academically.

Advertisement
If I had a beer for everytime you had to explain all this to people then I'd be drunk within the hour.

Yessir, you would be blackout-drunk.

I wish that we didn't have so many PlayStation All Americans coming on the site to spout their misinterpretations of the NCAA rules.

Nobody has any incentive to lie to people by saying we only have one IC slot left (when, obviously, it is sooooo easy to exploit a loophole).

Coaches know we have one IC slot left. Recruits know we have one IC slot left. Sportswriters know we have one IC slot left.

But a couple of CIS geniuses have figured out a way for us to sign a half-dozen more recruits...

This would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic.

The issue is their ability to attend school in the Fall and receive financial aid as a student athlete. If we want to offer Williams, Walker or Moise an athletic scholarship to join the team this coming Fall, they must be counted towards the class of 2020. And it seems everyone agrees there are already 24 initial counters with a max of 25 allowed, with only one left. So they either have to wait until the Spring session to enter school on athletic scholarship as part of the class of 2021, or they need to pay for tuition & fees themselves with the help of need-based financial aid. But they cannot attend during the Fall with an athletic scholarship.

Here's the specific NCAA bylaw:

13.9.3.3.1 Application. [FBS] A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided in the fall term of an academic year shall count toward the annual limit on signings for that academic year. A prospective student-athlete who signs a National Letter of Intent or an institutional offer of financial aid or a student-athlete who signs a financial aid agreement that specifies financial aid will be initially provided during the second or third term of the academic year may count toward the limit for that academic year or the limit for the next academic year.
If it’s only take 2-3 then u leave out Moise. Kid couldn’t get it done in the classroom no need to take a dumb kid

Advertisement
Screenshot_20200507-154555_Chrome.jpg

From Newberg on FSU site:

Florida freshman offensive tackle Issiah Walker Jr. entered his name into the Transfer Portal on Monday evening. The move came as a surprise to the Gators and to the college football world in general.

Yesterday, we reported on Noles247 that FSU made contact with Walker and his family shortly after he entered his name into the transfer portal. In addition, the two sides were planning to have a Zoom call on Tuesday afternoon.

Today I have a follow-up on that report. I can confirm that Walker and his parents were on a group Zoom call with FSU head coach Mike Norvell and a couple assistants. I’m told Norvell, along with FSU offensive line coach Alex Atkins, receivers coach Ron Dugans and director of player personnel Chuck Cantor have all been involved with Walker since he hit the portal.

I’m told the conversation over Zoom went well and Mike Norvell plans to speak with Walker and family again this evening. Both sides are still feeling each other out, Norvell did not have any contact with Walker during his time at Memphis.

All of this sounds good for FSU’s chances, but I’m not prepared to say the ‘Noles are the leader or favorite. I just didn't sense that confidence from any of the sources I spoke with today.

So who leads? I don’t know. I spent the morning and afternoon trying to confirm another team that has been in contact with Walker, but I haven’t come up with anything solid. Miami seems like a logical landing spot, but all indications are they’re not all-in on Walker yet.

FSU and Walker are set to speak again tonight. I’ll continue to monitor the situation and update any new developments on Noles247.

if he goes to FSU over closer to home something was definitely up while he was at uf instead of just being homesick

ivins goes into detail on this on the new inside the u podcast

he says that miami has been in contact w/ walker's camp and is evaluating the situation. one major concern appears to be setting a precedent of letting kids feel like miami will always be there as a fall back plan if whichever SEC school they pick instead doesn't work out. trevon grimes was brought up as an example of a player who was turned away in a similar situation.

another complicating factor appears to be whether he would apply for a waiver, his chances of getting one, whether the NCAA will grant immediate eligibility for all transfers post-covid etc. he also does bring up the possibility of walker waiting to enroll until he can be counted for 2021.

lots of moving parts still.

he says that miami has been in contact w/ walker's camp and is evaluating the situation. one major concern appears to be setting a precedent of letting kids feel like miami will always be there as a fall back plan if whichever SEC school they pick instead doesn't work out. trevon grimes was brought up as an example of a player who was turned away in a similar situation.
Grimes was damaged good since suffering that knee injury senior year at STA. He was a tad overrated.

Advertisement
personally, i get the concerns about setting a precedent, but especially once everyone gets a free transfer, there *are* going to be talented kids who consider miami, pick another school, and then get homesick and want to come back and play at miami. you don't want to encourage this practice, but it would also be stupid to adopt a blanket rule stating that you refuse to accept any player who considered miami but then enrolled in another school. coaches get paid millions of dollars to handle this kind of stuff, if manny can't find the right balance then he probably isn't the right coach for this program.

It’s a numbers issue and there’s one spot left. They aren’t hesitating because he spurned them , it’s more what they want to to.

I was told they were taking him and were very confident they could get him eligible ASAP. But like I said a month or two ago they wanted one spot to help the now , wr or ol. They think there’s still quality that could be hitting the portal and they’re protective of that spot. Maybe even circling back to the transfer ol. But Walker coming in this class world throw that out the window.

So now they’re thinking about counting forward to 21 with walker and still having that spot. That would allow Walker to redshirt.

Just a guess but I’m not sure if walker would like that and would that affect his decision.

Which makes Moise look to be in a vulnerable spot , not sure if they think highly enough to count him forward too. They were very protective of spots for next year.

It’s more numbers than being butthurt or proving a point.

Last edited:
It’s a numbers issue and there’s one spot left. They aren’t hesitating because he spurned them , it’s more what they want to to.

I was told they were taking him and were very confident they could get him eligible ASAP. But like I said a month or two ago they wanted one spot to help the now , wr or ol. They think there’s still quality that could be hitting the portal and they’re protective of that spot. Maybe even circling back to the transfer ol. But Walker coming in this class world throw that out the window.

So now they’re thinking about counting forward to 21 with walker and still having that spot. That would allow Walker to redshirt.

Just a guess but I’m not sure if walker would like that and would that affect his decision.

Which makes Moise look to be in a vulnerable spot , not sure if they think highly enough to count him forward too. They were very protective of spots for next year.

Thanks for info crib but de pinga this staff has to get it together. Get in walker by any means necessary!!

Any word on us getting back an IC for Asa Martin? It was mentioned back in January that Diaz was petitioning for it, but I haven't heard anything since. I imagine the NCAA will continue to hate on us, but I would love to have a second IC available for 2020 right about now...

Advertisement
Any word on us getting back an IC for Asa Martin? It was mentioned back in January that Diaz was petitioning for it, but I haven't heard anything since. I imagine the NCAA will continue to hate on us, but I would love to have a second IC available for 2020 right about now...
Been asking that question for a while now but none of the **** on here want to respond. Bunch of jagbones...

another complicating factor appears to be whether he would apply for a waiver, his chances of getting one, whether the NCAA will grant immediate eligibility for all transfers post-covid etc. he also does bring up the possibility of walker waiting to enroll until he can be counted for 2021.

lots of moving parts still.
If they do let him in he can use proximity to home as a way to get his waiver

You can't "count forward to 21" if he enrolls for the fall, only if he enrolls in the spring.

Advertisement
Leave it up to Diaz to overthink this ****, it’s not hard. If you have a spot, you take him ASAP. Fvck what the perception would look like. If dude has as much potential as most think, you take him now.

Leave it up to Diaz to overthink this ****, it’s not hard. If you have a spot, you take him ASAP. Fvck what the perception would look like. If dude has as much potential as most think, you take him now.

Tbh the kid could maybe use the extra time to get settled and deal with the personal stuff. He wants to be close to home so no need to be in a big hurry by either side. I know they’re protective of the 21 class but this is a quality player , no matter the class. So maybe sell him on taking the season off and get a transfer, then have him waiting for 21 season. Now if his heart is set on playing you might have a problem.

Ivins saying they’ve been in contact is off, they’ve been in more than just “ contact “. Monday he was a take and there was confidence he wouldn’t have to sit. I’m also pretty sure a couple days ago he said Miami wasn’t interested, I could be wrong but I swear I heard that mentioned.

Tbh the kid could maybe use the extra time to get settled and deal with the personal stuff. He wants to be close to home so no need to be in a big hurry by either side. I know they’re protective of the 21 class but this is a quality player , no matter the class. So maybe sell him on taking the season off and get a transfer, then have him waiting for 21 season. Now if his heart is set on playing you might have a problem.

Ivins saying they’ve been in contact is off, they’ve been in more than just “ contact “. Monday he was a take and there was confidence he wouldn’t have to sit. I’m also pretty sure a couple days ago he said Miami wasn’t interested, I could be wrong but I swear I heard that mentioned.

That isnt what he said.

he said he didn’t think Miami would be high on taking him because of what Manny has been preaching but also stated he thinks UM is leaning to take him.

Seems like he’s plugged some but hedging his bet. Appreciate your insight tho and hopefully we find a way to make it work with Walker and Williams.

I will say Manny Navarro said we offered Williams a scholarship 2 days ago while you said we weren’t on him anymore.

Advertisement
Back