Is Trayone Gray redshirting?

Advertisement
They can get him a RS if they really want to.

He's played in 3 games which is the 25% threshold.

fake an injury and he can be good to go

He's shirting.. just like young Herndon etc etc

No, he is not. He played against FAMU, Arky ST and Cincy. He says he has the playbook down now so he may see some more opportunities as we go forward and he is the type of athlete that can also be a great help on special teams. Redshirting players is great if you can do so, but we don't have a full complement of scholarship players on the roster. I think we are at 76 or 77.

what does him having the playbook down have to do with anything he not gonna ever play a down at rb this year why waste a year for a kid with this much talent on special teams. To say that would be stupid would be an enormous statement our coaches are bad but not that bad.

Regardless of his understanding of the play book, how good you think he is or if it's a wasted year or not, Trayone CAN'T be redshirted this year. This topic comes up every year on this board. 1 play = No Redshirt

Al isn't saving anyone; he is trying to save his job. Risked Duke very very late in the game because he didn't want to expose his defense to more long drives--how many time could VT fumble. Probably didn't give Chocolate any carries for fear of a fumble. They should have redshirted him just to help him on the academic side of things. Let him adjust to college.

Advertisement
Regardless of his understanding of the play book, how good you think he is or if it's a wasted year or not, Trayone CAN'T be redshirted this year. This topic comes up every year on this board. 1 play = No Redshirt

Wonder why they burn so many RS for nothing

Seems we are blowing a year of eligibility on Gray, Gayot, and Young. Forgot Herndon as well.

Frustrating to see us wasting a year on a few meaningless snaps.

I don't think anything is wasted at all. Real game experience is exactly what you need. In an ideal world, the recruiting haul should always be strong enough to provide someone just as good or better than, in this example, Gray....when he leaves Miami.

No, he is not. He played against FAMU, Arky ST and Cincy. He says he has the playbook down now so he may see some more opportunities as we go forward and he is the type of athlete that can also be a great help on special teams. Redshirting players is great if you can do so, but we don't have a full complement of scholarship players on the roster. I think we are at 76 or 77.

This. They can't redshirt, even if they get injured now.

Advertisement
He probably didn't play because it was his fumble that Cinci returned for a TD.

I am no expert, but I think you can play up to a certain game or part of the season and still redshirt (not a medical). My understanding is you can play a portion of the season and still use it.

Every year this comes up.

No, no, no. If you play one down your shirt is burned. The only exception is a medical redshirt.

what does him having the playbook down have to do with anything he not gonna ever play a down at rb this year why waste a year for a kid with this much talent on special teams. To say that would be stupid would be an enormous statement our coaches are bad but not that bad.

He isn't??? He has already played running back in three games, scored a TD and fumbled. As for having the playbook down, go ask him of the significance, because that was his answer when he was interviewed about his year on another Canes website. Redshirting is wonderful if you can do it. We are redshirting quite a few kids this year, but we need depth both at his position and on kicking and punting teams. Look at how quickly we lost our two top right tackles earlier, and now a third tackle goes down in Flowers. You want two backs available in games, usually three. If Duke and Gus both went down in one game that would make Gray move up to the #2 back. Be nice to know he was ready if called upon.

We are red shirting 16 players according to AL. It use to always be you could play 2 or 3 games(early) and still use a normal redshirt not sure what the rules are now.

Advertisement
From wikepedia

"Players, especially in football, may redshirt to learn the team's play book since college teams run more complex and more plays generally than most high school teams. In other cases, a player may be granted a redshirt if he or she has participated in less than 10% of the season taking place in an academic year."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirt_(college_sports)

Advertisement
Matt Porter (@mattyports)
10/28/14, 6:19 PM
The 16 players Miami plans to redshirt for 2014: Earl Moore, Ryan Mayes, Jelani Hamilton, Kc McDermott, Rashawn Scott, Al-Quadin Muhammad...
Matt Porter (@mattyports)
10/28/14, 6:20 PM
...Terry McCray, Mike Smith, D.Langham, D.Njoku, Tyler Grimsley, Joe Brown, Demetrius Jackson, Malik Rosier, Matt Goudis, Rayshawn Jenkins.

Not sure how they expect to get Mayes or Moore redshirts since they have both played and neither have been injured.

Advertisement
Back