Is Trayone Gray redshirting?

RiDLer80

All-American
It seems like the VT blowout last week would've been the perfect opportunity to get him some experience at RB. Especially with Yearby out with a hamstring injury?

So my question is why didn't we see him get any carries? Does anybody know if we plan on shirting him or did he just not travel?

Advertisement
Need those reps for Gus to develop

He's taking forever to figure out that he's a big back. Even in the VT game he was trying to dance around dudes instead of going right thru them

Kid just doesn't have the **** you up mentality. But he's getting there

Chocolate will have his turn next year and I'm sure he'll be about 230 pounds and ready to go

He probably didn't play because it was his fumble that Cinci returned for a TD.

I am no expert, but I think you can play up to a certain game or part of the season and still redshirt (not a medical). My understanding is you can play a portion of the season and still use it.

Advertisement

I am no expert, but I think you can play up to a certain game or part of the season and still redshirt (not a medical). My understanding is you can play a portion of the season and still use it.

It's up to the 4th game of the season

I'm not sure the exact policy but yes you are correct

Yeah there's a percentage.

Something like 30 or 40% of the seasons snaps which equates to around the 3rd or 4th game. So if we saw him as late as Cincy then he's probably no longer a redshirt candidate.

Seems we are blowing a year of eligibility on Gray, Gayot, and Young. Forgot Herndon as well.

Frustrating to see us wasting a year on a few meaningless snaps.

Once you play a single down you burn your shirt. The percentage of a year only applies to medical RS and it has to be in the first half of the season.

Advertisement
Also noticed this.
In 2016, a new status can apply called the academic redshirt. In 2016 the NCAA starts enforcing new, stricter admissions requirements for incoming freshman athletes. Under these new rules, a student-athlete who meets the school's own academic admission requirements, but does not meet the NCAA's new requirements (primarily a 2.3 GPA in 4 years) can enter school as an academic redshirt. This student can receive an athletic scholarship and practice with the team, but may not participate in competition. An academic redshirt does not lose a year of eligibility, but can take a later injury redshirt. Academic redshirts must complete nine credit hours in their first semester and can participate fully in the second year

Which I'm sure the SEC aggressively lobbied for.

Once you play a single down you burn your shirt. The percentage of a year only applies to medical RS and it has to be in the first half of the season.

I think the medical redshirt rule only allows you to play in the first 25% of the season.

Advertisement
Pretty sure I saw him against VT on STs. He's played too late into the season to RS.

Advertisement
Only medical shirt is first four games. If you play then you've burned redshirt

Last edited:
He's shirting.. just like young Herndon etc etc

No, he is not. He played against FAMU, Arky ST and Cincy. He says he has the playbook down now so he may see some more opportunities as we go forward and he is the type of athlete that can also be a great help on special teams. Redshirting players is great if you can do so, but we don't have a full complement of scholarship players on the roster. I think we are at 76 or 77.

Advertisement
Back