Off-Topic Is tipping getting out of control? Do we really have to tip EVERYONE?

Advertisement
I just do 20% at restaurants and bars, regardless of anything, short of a staff member threatening me or poisoning me.

I absolutely never tip at a checkout screen when there has not been any bar or table service (i.e. it's just pickup).

Agree with @No_Fly_Zone re: DoorDash. I tip, but definitely feel like I'm being ripped off with the tie-in to food price rather an actual delivery effort.

Advertisement
I tip service folks at restaurants and delivery. I worked as a server in my younger days so I always make sure to tip for good service. I don't tip on take out orders though.
I'm not tipping a service technician or anyone that charges me hourly for labor. **** all that lol.
Germans have a decent way of avoiding "tips" for labor services: pay everything straight in cash. No bills = no taxes for the company and actual less cost for the recipient.

You'd be stunned how many people and workers do this lol

Germans have a decent way of avoiding "tips" for labor services: pay everything straight in cash. No bills = no taxes for the company and actual less cost for the recipient.

That happens everywhere in the world, but I would guess its more prevalent in a VAT environment.

Advertisement
I tip service folks at restaurants and delivery. I worked as a server in my younger days so I always make sure to tip for good service. I don't tip on take out orders though.
I'm not tipping a service technician or anyone that charges me hourly for labor. **** all that lol.

I generally tip 15-20% at sit down restaurants. For normal counter service, no tip. For takeout, I’ll tip 10% usually because I know it takes time to get the order right, box/prep it, etc.

I will say this.

It has gotten out of hand in restaurants NOT having table-service (i.e., table-service being defined as where they TAKE YOUR ORDER at the table and bring your food TO THE TABLE).

It is not my job to SEPARATELY pay the labor costs for restaurant. I pay the price on the menu. That's it.

It's simple. Restaurant owners/managers should pay their own labor costs (no matter what it costs) and then charge me the correct market price for my food.

It is ridiculous for counter-service restaurants to have to compete with table-service restaurants on food-pricing, all because table-service restaurants can get away with the "tradition" of forcing patrons to pay for the labor costs separately.

It's just BULL****.

This is where I am at with all forms of tipping outside of the service(s) industry. The spike in tipping and requests for tipping has become absurd and simply an offramp to patrons having to subsidize the labor costs beyond the cost of the product/service. If I am not paying for labor cost, too, what exactly am I paying for?

In high school I never "claimed" cash tips I got. roughly 400-500 bucks a month that went untaxed for me personally.

Advertisement
Patiently waiting for robots
We're getting there. Need to check in, you're already ******* with an iPad. No one has to take your order at bigger national chains already, you're ******* with an iPad. Call somebody, you're dealing with an automated system.

Go into one of these restaurants, place your order on an iPad, and it still has the prompt for tipping. lmfao.

What are we doing here?

I haven't been to a strip club in a long time, but for those that frequent...do the ladies come out, keep their clothes on, don't have a conversation with you, and just ask for money now like a panhandler on the street?

We're getting there. Need to check in, you're already ******* with an iPad. No one has to take your order at bigger national chains already, you're ******* with an iPad. Call somebody, you're dealing with an automated system.

Go into one of these restaurants, place your order on an iPad, and it still has the prompt for tipping. lmfao.

What are we doing here?

I haven't been to a strip club in a long time, but for those that frequent...do the ladies come out, keep their clothes on, don't have a conversation with you, and just ask for money now like a panhandler on the street?
It's more like the self checkout. You go into a little room with a mirror.

Advertisement
I don’t do delivery. All those fees and tip I would rather get it myself or do without. I would have to be really hard up to get something delivered. Like close to deaths door.

The tip for everything at checkout I did at first when half the places were closed. Also wasn’t sure the educate on them. Now it is a no. I did hear one person saying it was the company handling the transaction for the business so they (the card reader company) could take an extra cut. I haven’t looked into it to verify. Though it went to every card reader at once so I could believe it.

Tipping at restaurants I have been debating about automatic 20% since service seems significantly worse. The tip is supposed to be a reward for good service and to encourage good service. I just need to figure a way to get over feeling like social pressure internally. I have been going out to eat less as well. All those prices are crazy.

I’ll tip service workers and some delivery people, like UberEats or InstaCart. I’m aware grocery stores and restaurants charge a higher price than if I went out myself, but I honestly don’t know how much of that up charge makes its way into the delivery person’s hands. That type of gig job seems like a crappy way to get by and I respect people try to make it work for them. Especially when I’m fortunate enough not to need that type of job. I consider it a cost of living when I choose to use those services.

I don’t do delivery. All those fees and tip I would rather get it myself or do without. I would have to be really hard up to get something delivered. Like close to deaths door.

The tip for everything at checkout I did at first when half the places were closed. Also wasn’t sure the educate on them. Now it is a no. I did hear one person saying it was the company handling the transaction for the business so they (the card reader company) could take an extra cut. I haven’t looked into it to verify. Though it went to every card reader at once so I could believe it.

Tipping at restaurants I have been debating about automatic 20% since service seems significantly worse. The tip is supposed to be a reward for good service and to encourage good service. I just need to figure a way to get over feeling like social pressure internally. I have been going out to eat less as well. All those prices are crazy.
I don't get that "Get Food delivered" BS either. I understand Pizza now & then, but that's about it. And I agree with restaurant prices....absolute insanity. Don't get me wrong, I go out plenty...but I absolutely cringe at the prices.

Advertisement
Back