Off-Topic Is tipping getting out of control? Do we really have to tip EVERYONE?

OriginalCanesCanesCanes

All-ACC (#1 most reproted porster on CIS)
The following article from the Sun Sentinel is interesting regarding the state of our post pandemic world…

Before I get accused of being a cheapskate, I generally tip 20% no matter what, for outstanding service, I’ll go higher, especially for people that I know depend on tips.

But now we’re tipping the teenager that rings up your coffee, or your danish - and the screen choices start at 15%? Now I realize that’s NOT a lot of money, and I go ahead and tip, but when did this trend start?

Here is a quote from the article:

Flower delivery: For flowers and non-food items tip between $2 and $5, depending on the value of what is being delivered, Salas said.​
“Movers: “Lunch and $20,” Murphy said.​
Hair stylist: Ricci said $5 to $20, depending on the amount of work done. The person who washes your hair should get $1 to $5. If the salon owner styles your hair, he or she should still be offered a tip, Salas said. “I would suggest asking her if it is all right to tip her. I personally have asked ‘Would you be offended if I tip you?’ Her answer was no, not at all and accepted the tip with a smile!”​
Road service: This includes jump starting your battery or towing your car. Ricci recommends $5 to $20, depending on the extent of service, length of time you waited and professionalism.​
Massage therapists/masseuses: 15% to 20%, said Samer Hassan, professor of culinary arts, tourism and hospitality management at St. Thomas University in Miami Gardens.​
Airport employees who help move your luggage from the conveyor belt to your transportation or push your wheelchair to your gate: $5 to $20, Hassan said.​
Pedicure or manicure: $5 or $10, Ricci said.​
Handymen: $5 to $50, depending on the extent of the job and length of time, Ricci said.”​

I think everyone here is familiar with the restaurant standards so I didn’t include that - it’s fairly straightforward, but there are more additional tipping situations other than those above, that were highlighted in this article.

Just interested how some of you view this.

Advertisement
I will say this.

It has gotten out of hand in restaurants NOT having table-service (i.e., table-service being defined as where they TAKE YOUR ORDER at the table and bring your food TO THE TABLE).

It is not my job to SEPARATELY pay the labor costs for restaurant. I pay the price on the menu. That's it.

It's simple. Restaurant owners/managers should pay their own labor costs (no matter what it costs) and then charge me the correct market price for my food.

It is ridiculous for counter-service restaurants to have to compete with table-service restaurants on food-pricing, all because table-service restaurants can get away with the "tradition" of forcing patrons to pay for the labor costs separately.

It's just BULL****.

The UK has it right. Add a 12.5% service charge and just tap your credit card to pay. No signing, no waiting to add a tip, no having it ask you if you want to pay 15,18, 20, or 25%

Advertisement
I am also not a fan of food delivery tips being tied to the price of the food.

Only factors that seem relevant to me are: (1) distance traveled; (2) bulk of food being delivered; (3) weather conditions; and (4) speed of delivery.

I am also not a fan of food delivery tips being tied to the price of the food.

Only factors that seem relevant to me are: (1) distance traveled; (2) bulk of food being delivered; (3) weather conditions; and (4) speed of delivery.

Yeah, that's another one...

"But it's free delivery!"

While the online prices are higher than on the menu and an exorbitant tip is expected...

I'm not against paying a FAIR AMOUNT, just don't lie to me or try to trick me...

Advertisement
The following article from the Sun Sentinel is interesting regarding the state of our post pandemic world…

Before I get accused of being a cheapskate, I generally tip 20% no matter what, for outstanding service, I’ll go higher, especially for people that I know depend on tips.

But now we’re tipping the teenager that rings up your coffee, or your danish - and the screen choices start at 15%? Now I realize that’s NOT a lot of money, and I go ahead and tip, but when did this trend start?

Here is a quote from the article:

Flower delivery: For flowers and non-food items tip between $2 and $5, depending on the value of what is being delivered, Salas said.​
“Movers: “Lunch and $20,” Murphy said.​
Hair stylist: Ricci said $5 to $20, depending on the amount of work done. The person who washes your hair should get $1 to $5. If the salon owner styles your hair, he or she should still be offered a tip, Salas said. “I would suggest asking her if it is all right to tip her. I personally have asked ‘Would you be offended if I tip you?’ Her answer was no, not at all and accepted the tip with a smile!”​
Road service: This includes jump starting your battery or towing your car. Ricci recommends $5 to $20, depending on the extent of service, length of time you waited and professionalism.​
Massage therapists/masseuses: 15% to 20%, said Samer Hassan, professor of culinary arts, tourism and hospitality management at St. Thomas University in Miami Gardens.​
Airport employees who help move your luggage from the conveyor belt to your transportation or push your wheelchair to your gate: $5 to $20, Hassan said.​
Pedicure or manicure: $5 or $10, Ricci said.​
Handymen: $5 to $50, depending on the extent of the job and length of time, Ricci said.”​

I think everyone here is familiar with the restaurant standards so I didn’t include that - it’s fairly straightforward, but there are more additional tipping situations other than those above, that were highlighted in this article.

Just interested how some of you view this.
Give the barista a dollar along the budtender. Well, give the budtender two dollars.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I tip in restaurants and for food delivery. My hair cutter gets a tip for her trips to Uganda, as she is doing work there and help kids.

I don't really tip anywhere else.

Advertisement
Back