Is this our best staff ever?

1986 Jimmy Johnson's staff had 3 future NFL head coaches, 2 NFL coordinators, and 1 college head coach.

In retrospect, though. When a lot of those guys were hired they had unspectacular resumes.

At the time of hire, Mario's first staff here is easily the best on paper we've ever put together. It's not even close.

Now, they have a LOT to live up to if they want to have better (or ****, even close to the) careers JJ's staff ended up having.

Advertisement
They became head coaches and coordinators LATER, so they did not have the experience AT THAT TIME like these guys have. I mean Long and Steele combined have more coaching experience than that entire staff (while at Miami)! They’re both in their 60’s and have been coaching for more than 30 years.. that’s more than 60 years of experience coaching between them! Crazy!! This staff has former head coaches, nfl guys, future head coaches, you name it. But they ain’t done nothing yet so all we can look at is past resumes and this current staff has better resumes coming in no doubt
This is the most experienced staff I recall us having, and experience matters. There's very little these guys have not seen.

Advertisement
Not sure if we’ve ever had a staff this good on paper? Particularly in terms of recruiting. This is a different feeling from the usual The U is back.

Maude Note: Moved from Recruiting board to Eye in the Sky board as most discussion relates to coaching not recruiting.
Paper vs actual?

The future pedigrees of those Jimmy Johnson staffs wasn't to shabby.

'86 is the best. ****, Tubbs, Pagano, and Ron Meeks were GA's on that team.

Here's the next best one, IMO. Butch's 2000 staff: 3 future NFL head coaches, 2 future college head coaches (1 of whom won a BCS title).

Greg Schiano - DC
Chuck Pagano - DB/ST
Rob Chudzinski - TE
Larry Coker - OC/QB
Curtis Johnson - WR
End of story....and to put the nail in the coffin...go check out how many AA's, and future 1st rounders that group coached...including 6 Canes either in Canton, or on their way
Edge
Wayne
Dre
Gore
Reed
Wilfork....No other UM Staff can touch that...
That group led by Butch, Evaluated, recruited, and developed the Greatest collection of talent in NCAA History...Proof is in the pudding....Oh, and Btw...Tommy Tuberville was also a GA on the 86 team.

Advertisement
So you’re telling me you know the future of this staff.
Pretty sure his point is that he does NOT know the future of this staff and neither does anyone else.

It could end up being great, it could disappoint, or it could be something in between. No one will know until later, just like no one knew how great those previous staffs would be until later.

Not sure if we’ve ever had a staff this good on paper? Particularly in terms of recruiting. This is a different feeling from the usual The U is back.

Maude Note: Moved from Recruiting board to Eye in the Sky board as most discussion relates to coaching not recruiting.
Lol…Jimmy Johnson’s staff circa 1985 and 1986…you must be young

You know that NOW.
Did you know that when Jimmy hired them? (No)
So let it play it.

Instant gratification is pointless. Everyone is jerking off of late. And I get it as there hasn’t been much to get excited about it 20 years.

Advertisement
Yes and it's not even close. Many on the past great staffs were up and coming. Not established. After 20 years of garbage up and commers I'm happy with established.

You know that NOW.
Did you know that when Jimmy hired them? (No)
This was my point exactly. Those coaches weren’t that accomplished when hired. I’m merely speaking from a past accomplishment point. Back then no one knew those guys would go on to do that. What I’m saying is now we have accomplished coordinators/position coaches. We just got Charlie Strong as a LB coach for god sakes. Most schools would die to have him as their DC.

Advertisement
So you’re telling me you know the future of this staff. **** that’s amazing. We could have used you in 03/04&05
What he is saying is we didn't know the future of JJ's staff then.

Apples to apples would be to wait 35 years for this staff to get a fair comparison to Jimmy's crew.

What he is saying is we didn't know the future of JJ's staff then.

Apples to apples would be to wait 35 years for this staff to get a fair comparison to Jimmy's crew.
Agree to your point, however I would add that the staff will be ultimately judged on what they do here at Miami. We wont need to wait around 35 years for that. If they dont compete for/win titles they wont measure up. I am excited about this staff though.

Advertisement
Back