Is there something fundamentally wrong with our Offense?

There were receivers wide open all game. Pitt challenged Rosier to throw and took the run game out. Our OL did suck it up but Pitt was also daring Rosier to throw.

Feagles was absolutely horrible.

Even being wide open we still need another WR, there isn't enough depth. We need a guy like Stacy Coley out there. The young guys ain't there yet and we can't cycle enough. Richards is still not 100%. Berrios was wide open a lot but Rosier was off. The depth has caught up with us there. Miracle catches aside, Langham ain't the answer and neither is Cager.

Advertisement
I think all the batted balls have gotten in his head. Need to move the pocket for him. In any event, QB competition needs to be wide open next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fundamentally, we struggle with sustaining drives. A lot of
our TD’s come from big plays. You sustain drives with a running game and accurate short to mid passing game. We struggle with those.

Love richt as a head coach but wouldn’t this team be crazy if we had an offensive coordinator like mark helfrich calling plays ?

Advertisement
I’m not a X’s and O’s guy either and it was pretty clear that Rosier missed many, many open passes. He only completed 44%. If we had Virginia's QB we would have had 2 long TDs to Richards. Rosier just missed all of the big plays except that one 3rd and 15 to Herndon.

In every other game this year he's made some of those. Today he didn't. It's disappointing but not surprising.

Yeah honestly I think it got to his head. After the game last week he said he knew he needed to work on accuracy. He was thinking too much.

You can't work on accuracy at this stage in the season.... either you have it or you don't..

#1 - Our QB is inaccurate. I am not sure why this continues to be a discussion. Its ok to like Rosier as our QB but think he's not a great QB. He's just not accurate and his ball placement is even worse. Its noticable when he's not throwing to our 6'4"+ WRs. We should have been working Cager, Langham, and Herndon a lot more this year between the 20s. We should have been utilizing the bubble screens more and let our boys work in space. Whenever we've done the latter, its opened up the deep ball.

He's got the clutch gene and he can run a little bit, but he's not confident enough as a runner (or in his arm, tbh) for him to be an effective runner or a threat to the defense. They just don't respect him as a runner because he's a last ditch runner, not an authoritative runner. He shares more similarities to token tall and white pocket passers as a runner then any dual threat runner I've seen.

#2 - Richt's playcalling leaves a lot to be desired. Is it because he just stinks or is it because the OL and QB aren't that great? idk, but Richt's inability to even adjust or compensate for his teams weaknesses is a big problem. Example being doing TRICK PLAYS in the red zone. Who does that? Especially from the three yard line. You can fall forward four times and score a touchdown.

#1 - Our QB is inaccurate. I am not sure why this continues to be a discussion. Its ok to like Rosier as our QB but think he's not a great QB. He's just not accurate and his ball placement is even worse. Its noticable when he's not throwing to our 6'4"+ WRs. We should have been working Cager, Langham, and Herndon a lot more this year between the 20s. We should have been utilizing the bubble screens more and let our boys work in space. Whenever we've done the latter, its opened up the deep ball.

He's got the clutch gene and he can run a little bit, but he's not confident enough as a runner (or in his arm, tbh) for him to be an effective runner or a threat to the defense. They just don't respect him as a runner because he's a last ditch runner, not an authoritative runner. He shares more similarities to token tall and white pocket passers as a runner then any dual threat runner I've seen.

#2 - Richt's playcalling leaves a lot to be desired. Is it because he just stinks or is it because the OL and QB aren't that great? idk, but Richt's inability to even adjust or compensate for his teams weaknesses is a big problem. Example being doing TRICK PLAYS in the red zone. Who does that? Especially from the three yard line. You can fall forward four times and score a touchdown.
I started to think when the passing game AND the running game both are bad then it has to do with more than the QB missing throws.

Advertisement
2 main things imo:

1. Inaccurate QB
2. Inconsistent OL.

Coming into this game, Rosier was only completing 56% of his passes on the season, that's basically Average to below average.

We've been winning games based on Defense & getting big chunk plays in crunch time. Rosier has been Hot/Cold all year, that's who he is as a QB, we haven't needed him to be a Heisman winner for us, just protect the ball, make plays with his legs & hit on some of the Deep balls.

He's done that sometimes this season & other times he couldn't hit a parked car from the driveway with a tennis ball.

He's been a solid QB for us, today we needed him just give us 3 scores & he couldn't get it done. It happens, but I still believe in him & hope he heats up vs Clemson.

As for the OL, our run game has struggled for the last 2 years. Everybody said it was Walton, but even Homer has mostly been contained for the majority of the games we've played until he would usually breakout late in the 3rd & 4th quarters.

Our Offense is predicated on 2 things, Running the ball & getting TD's off the Deep passing game. When the run game isn't going our best hope is that Rosier heats up & drops dimes, when he doesn't we have to hope the Defense can just hold off opposing Offenses long enough for our own to get going.

I do think there are things we could be doing to be more creative with play calling & getting the ball to our playmakers, but ultimately I believe our Offensive struggles are mainly on a limited QB & an inconsistent OL.

This sums it up.

Let’s not absolve the WRs - Thomas and Richards dropped TDs, and Berrios dropped a key first down. We stunk, and Rosier stunk, but those big plays are what we lived off all year and we missed them today.

But to me, the OL is what killed us. Just like anyone else, if we can run the pass game is more open. We can’t run for several weeks now. Rosier isn’t accurate. Caught up to us today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
For 1 I think the offense moves better with tempo. Seems like we just don’t run enough plays

Advertisement
A lot of it has to do with Rosier but I hate that this offense has zero motion.

Also there is no rythmn to the offense.its all over the place.Only thing you can count on is a second down run up the *** of an olineman.Plus Rosier is terribly inaccurate which is the cause of a lot of missed opportunities on 3rd down.

Still think we need a dedicated OC.If nothing else somebody to give offensive input to Richt when things aren’t working.Thing is I don’t think Richts ego with allow us to get one.

There’s a lot of things that need to change but the biggest thing is the QB.Rosier had done a decent job in pulling out games this year but if he had been more consistent we wouldn’t have been down to the wire in the first place.

I thought there was no way Perry would start over Rosier next year.Then I saw a Richt bench him today.Now I think there’s no way he does start over Perry,Weldon or even Williams next year.I think Rosiers career might be done after the bowl game..jmo

We haven’t seen Perry take a snap. He did have a chance to beat out shirrefs in camp right?

I’m not a X’s and O’s guy either and it was pretty clear that Rosier missed many, many open passes. He only completed 44%. If we had Virginia's QB we would have had 2 long TDs to Richards. Rosier just missed all of the big plays except that one 3rd and 15 to Herndon.

In every other game this year he's made some of those. Today he didn't. It's disappointing but not surprising.

Yeah honestly I think it got to his head. After the game last week he said he knew he needed to work on accuracy. He was thinking too much.

You can't work on accuracy at this stage in the season.... either you have it or you don't..

I agree. I would imagine thinking about that all week would just make you worse.

A lot of it has to do with Rosier but I hate that this offense has zero motion.

Also there is no rythmn to the offense.its all over the place.Only thing you can count on is a second down run up the *** of an olineman.Plus Rosier is terribly inaccurate which is the cause of a lot of missed opportunities on 3rd down.

Still think we need a dedicated OC.If nothing else somebody to give offensive input to Richt when things aren’t working.Thing is I don’t think Richts ego with allow us to get one.

There’s a lot of things that need to change but the biggest thing is the QB.Rosier had done a decent job in pulling out games this year but if he had been more consistent we wouldn’t have been down to the wire in the first place.

I thought there was no way Perry would start over Rosier next year.Then I saw a Richt bench him today.Now I think there’s no way he does start over Perry,Weldon or even Williams next year.I think Rosiers career might be done after the bowl game..jmo

We haven’t seen Perry take a snap. He did have a chance to beat out shirrefs in camp right?
Perry got beat out for the starter job as a non EE true freshman. He was then redshirted. He was never competing for the backup job.

Advertisement
Back